IGNORED

So who remembers the R1?

SoundandFury
Note: This thread is 3824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Still amazes me how many people think they are going to get the same shaft performance in an adjustable driver when they change settings and spin the shaft.

I don't really get it either.  It seems crazy, but there must be a lot of people out there willing to buy 2 drivers a year.

The SLDR came out earlier than expected to take the buzz away from Callaway's Optiforce driver.  TMAG's research tells them people buy new drivers every 3-4 seasons so they always want to have something "new" available.  Obviously there are the fanboys that will buy whatever is new.  TMAG keep doing it because it works ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is probably why I instinctively prefer Titleist.  Flash and bang don't do much for me, and I just can't logically comprehend significant leaps being made in golf club technology every six months.  The fact that they release some "amazing new technology" every six months completely ruins their credibility in my mind.

I've hit everything they've released except the SLDR, BTW, and even owned a white hybrid.  Not a fan, but again I'll admit I've probably got a mental bias against TM clubs.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Penta TP5 though.

+1

I must say that I do applaud companies like TaylorMade, Apple ,Samsung etc. These companies, and there are many more just like them, are very, very successful at removing $$$ from your wallet.

If you do not up grade your equipment to the latest and greatest when they decide, then you are definitely not in the loop, and no longer  on the cutting edge.

Brilliant marketing strategy!!

Still amazes me how many people think they are going to get the same shaft performance in an adjustable driver when they change settings and spin the shaft.

Why wouldn't they? Modern manufacturing techniques would strongly suggest the shaft is within  1 or 2 cpm no matter what the orientation. In addition; when we get fitted and order a club with our favorite shaft how do we know that it will perform exactly as the shaft at the initial fitting? We aren't certain it will but it most likely will because the modern high end graphite shaft should perform the same in all orientations. Of course, there may be some that still flo and cpm profile a shaft to find a spine before they install, and for those then the performance might be different.

Why wouldn't they? Modern manufacturing techniques would strongly suggest the shaft is within  1 or 2 cpm no matter what the orientation. In addition; when we get fitted and order a club with our favorite shaft how do we know that it will perform exactly as the shaft at the initial fitting? We aren't certain it will but it most likely will because the modern high end graphite shaft should perform the same in all orientations. Of course, there may be some that still flo and cpm profile a shaft to find a spine before they install, and for those then the performance might be different.

Ummm. Because the shaft is not the same with any orientation.

It's the same marketing scam as smart phone except they don't tie you to a 2 year contract.   Apparently, there are golfers buying new gear every year or two.   If you are one of those lucky ones who can splurge on new golf equipment every year, please do tell what you are getting out of it.

The difference though is that when Apple releases a new iphone, there is literally something new and better in it.  Not that I ever bough every single iteration of the iphone, but at least there was objective improvement.

I think two years between clubs is perfect, i.e., Titleist.

I think 2 years between drivers is fine. Fairways and Hybrids are tough to fit. They stay as do irons - once every 3-5 years. Wedges stay the same (replaced w same heads) and putter really doesn't change. TM has 5 yrs of R&D; ready to go to market. What we purchase is already obsolete. So buy last years equipment and save

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

After 32 years working for three Fortune 500 companies I have come to one conclusion.  All Marketing people suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder.  Obviously, the TaylorMade staff is off their meds.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm trying to understand TM's marketing efforts for it's flagship driver(s). Around Feb/March through the summer TM was touting the R1 as the be all end all of drivers, complete with huuuuuuge advertising push, marketing efforts, etc.  A bunch of their staffers played the R1 on tour and their bags and hats had the R1 logo all over them.

Cut to a month or so ago when TM releases the SLDR, and now it seems to be their only focus.  Tour players have ditched their R1's and I have seen YOUR1 poster anywhere.

What good does this do for them?  I get rolling out new woods every year, but 2x a year seems extremely excessive.  Same can be said about Callaways Razr Fit Extreme vs Optiforce.  On a more relatable note, this can't possibly inspire confidence in anyone to go out and pick up a new TM driver.  How can you justify dropping $399 on a club when you know something new and, according to the manufacturer, better is just around the corner.

it's all marketing BS..................

Golf manufacturers are continuously launching the newest best thing on an ongoing basis. It has always has been, and always will be this way.   It's just a sales pitch to entice the golfing public to buy something new.   As soon as you buy that club, you need to replace it with the newest best thing...LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!