IGNORED

Ditched the 4 iron

Note: This thread is 3823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Decided to finally replace the 4i with a 4H (22 degree) and I think I'm going to love it.  Just got back from the range and I've never been able to get a comparable shot with my 4i before.  I purchased a 3H earlier this year and it has become my favorite club (especially out of the rough), had a mental thing about going with the 4H (felt like I'd be giving up, so stupid I know).

Anyway, really looking forward to getting it out on the course tomorrow.  The 17th is a 185 yd, elevated, par 3 (deep bunker on the left, high fescue on the right, deep valley in the middle) that kicks my backside everytime.  I've ruined many a round at that hole and even when I would get a good swing with the 4 iron, I could never get enough loft on the ball to get it there...can't wait to go at it with the hybrid.

4i has always been a little inconsistent for me and I've found I'm not exactly proficient with a 4h either.  It's basically a low-confidence slot in my bag no matter what I put in there, which is a problem since two of the par threes on my home course are 4i/4h distance.  The thing is, I used to have no issues with the 4h when I played the original Adams Idea set with the i-woods, but I stupidly sold them thinking it was old technology and that I was "too good" for shovels.  Trying to reclaim the magic, I just picked up an Idea Super S 4h to replace the 4i from my current set and I must say it's looking promising so far.

4i has always been a little inconsistent for me and I've found I'm not exactly proficient with a 4h either.  It's basically a low-confidence slot in my bag no matter what I put in there, which is a problem since two of the par threes on my home course are 4i/4h distance.  The thing is, I used to have no issues with the 4h when I played the original Adams Idea set with the i-woods, but I stupidly sold them thinking it was old technology and that I was "too good" for shovels.  Trying to reclaim the magic, I just picked up an Idea Super S 4h to replace the 4i from my current set and I must say it's looking promising so far.

Low confidence slot is a good way of putting it. It got to the point that whenever I was in that 175-185 range I would (depending my lie) automatically reach for the 5i (knowing I'd come up short but at least have reasonable shot at making good contact) or the 3h (knowing I was going to fly it well past my target).

What 4-H are you guys using. I have also removed my 4-iron, but trying to find the perfect replacement. 4-Hybrid, 7-Wood, nutted 5-iron, choked down 4-wood, something else??? I currently have been using the Tour Edge Exotics 4-H/22° but haven't "mastered" it yet. I was using the original Adams TightLies 7-wood/24°with some success. I was considering the Nike VRS Covert 4-hybrid/23° & have a post out on that as well. Thanks... George

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

TM Rocketballz for both my 3 and 4 hybrid. Didn't really test any others, went with them mainly because they matched my iron set. Figured I like the feel of my irons, so why not keep the hybrids consistent.

I used to loathe anything longer than an 8 iron. Now, with my new swing, I feel much more confidence in all my irons. The hybrids still give me a different, really high, ball flight, and slightly longer distances. If I could hit them accurately, I think I could get a couple more up and down chances, or dare I say, greens in regulation even if I hit a horrible drive. This is really uncomfortable for me to say, but I really like my 4 iron, now. It would be hard for me to get rid of it. Just one month ago, I would have felt like ditching it too.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I took my 4 iron out and put in a 23* Ping G25. I hit the 4 iron ok, but I dont think I was getting much more out of it distance wise than my 5 iron. The hybrid is definitely longer on most strikes. That was my main reason to change, and now I feel I have better distance gap between the 4 hybrid and 5 iron than I did with my 4 iron.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I have 3 and 4 hybrids. Nickent Ironwoods, love 'em. Sometimes I think about ditching the 4h and putting the 4i back in play but then I think WHY?? The 4H works great, I don't have any problems (or at least no more problems than any other iron) hitting my 3 and 4 irons but I get more height and more distance with the hybrids so...easy choice. I mean, hit it further AND land it softer? What's not to like??

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I took my 4 iron out and put in a 23* Ping G25. I hit the 4 iron ok, but I dont think I was getting much more out of it distance wise than my 5 iron. The hybrid is definitely longer on most strikes. That was my main reason to change, and now I feel I have better distance gap between the 4 hybrid and 5 iron than I did with my 4 iron.

I have the same feeling about the gap between my 4i and 5i, and I've been swapping between the 4i and the Ping G25 4h (the sig doesn't show it now because I got sick of changing it with the shifting winds of my club preference in that slot.)  For some reason, I seem to need to consciously take a pretty steep swing with the hybrid else I'll get surprise hooks from time to time.  It was far worse with a Callaway I had previously.  Not really the club's fault, I know, but my poor technique.  Quite annoying though since I don't really have that problem with any other clubs.  The hybrid is, nonetheless, back in the bag at present and worked well last time I played.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I love the 4 hybrid as well.     Does everything better (except punching out from under trees) than the 4i.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

My bag is now anchored in fours: 4W, 4H and 4i. (7W in there too).

4H goes about 12 yards farther than 4i.

4i is a headcase club for me. If I swing it smooth and finish high, the ball really jumps off the face. If I press or muscle it, things get exciting. I guess it helps I have flighted shafts, which give long irons a little extra boost on launch.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I've got the 4-W and 4-H in my bag too, but I have left the 4-I out for now. I still am struggling to master the 4-H swing (Tour Edge Exotics XGC5 4-Hybrid w/ Fujikura Blur Regular Flex 22°). Now with the Ping G20 4-W it's another story. That club is money!

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

Me too. Not sure what it is about the club, but once I learned to hit it the hybrids they have turned into the easiest club for me to make solid contact with. I really don't even think about it anymore, just set-up and swing. Very helpful for someone like myself who struggles mightedly off the tee and often ends up looking at a 170-180 yard approach shot out of the rough on a longer par 4. At least I have a fighting chance to get it around the green in 2 with the hybrids.

Yeah I ditched the 4-iron for the equivalent Nike VRS hybrid months ago. My next iron set will be 5-GW as I have absolutely no use for anything lower than a 5 iron.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Its not giving up, its doing what you can to make the game easier.  IMO, most people probably have no business playing an iron longer than a 6-iron anyways.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Its not giving up, its doing what you can to make the game easier.  IMO, most people probably have no business playing an iron longer than a 6-iron anyways.

Perhaps this is true ... HOWEVER, tell me how 3 or 4 hybrids, a couple fairways, and a 460cc driver fit in a golf bag !!!    LOL - it's rediculous trying to get all those hybrids in a golf bag assuming you use headcovers.    If you don't use headcovers, a golf bag full of hybrids sounds about like a decorated christmas tree bouncing down the fairway ... hey, I've been there with a bag full of hybrids & it's a mess ... something to consider.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 3823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!