IGNORED

Looking to upgrade my equipment

Rock26
Note: This thread is 3787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my iron set, and my driver.  I am currently hitting Taylormade Rac LT's , and a Cobra S9-1 F driver, with a proforce V2 stiff shaft.

I have been researching for a few weeks, and I think that I have narrowed it down to the Burner 2.0, or Rocketbladez irons.  I have fondness to Taylormade products, so I admit I might be a little blinded, but I have hit the burners, and I really fell in love with the feel and the performance of them.

For driver I am a little more open, I have looked into the Taylormade R1, R11, and the Rocketballz stage 2, also the Calloway X hot, so  I am defiantly looking for an adjustable driver, just not sure which one.

That all being said, my biggest issue is consistency, and a slice that pops up, normally off the tee.  I was hoping to get some suggestions from everyone.

Thank you,

Rocky

I'm a Titleist fanboy these days, so I sympathize with your preference for TaylorMade, but don't really have any suggestions in that regard.  But for best results with a new driver I would strongly suggest getting yourself a good fitting, preferably (IMO) by a professional that does their fittings with a launch monitor on an outdoor range so you can see your real results.  If you're thinking about getting used irons, I would at least get the lie angle checked and adjusted as needed.  That can make a real difference.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

What kind of budget are you looking at for your Irons?

There are some really good Irons out right now and depending on your budget I think you could find something you like better than the 2.0's.

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As to driver and pop ups, it may be a setup issue - use the search engine - try "driver inline pattern"  Set up at address with ball forward either at front heel or big toe, you might close stance slightly. Another reason for the pop up is that your swing is too steep -- shallow it out.

As to driver, it's a great time for deals.

At your handicap, I'd say XHot - long, forgiving and hot feeling,  and a TM related product since TM owns them is the Adams Super S - you can find them for about $125 now - long and straight and forgiving from all reviews. It also has a great "real" shaft.

RBZ is forgiving but I'd suggest the two above. The R1 and R11 are meant for guys who hit the ball consistently in the upper center of the face. I've seen too many guys with inconsistent swings or contact patterns spray the ball short, right and left with those clubs. Gotta' tell you that when TM got rid of the Burner Line, the only forgiving club in their lineup was the RBZ Driver ... the remainder of the RBZ line is for guys with higher speeds. For 2 years, I've seen guys try the RBZ lineup in fairways and hybrids, and all fail except for high speed guys.

As to irons, better alternatives that Burner 2.0, and sales are on -

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

As to driver and pop ups, it may be a setup issue - use the search engine - try "driver inline pattern"  Set up at address with ball forward either at front heel or big toe, you might close stance slightly. Another reason for the pop up is that your swing is too steep -- shallow it out.

As to driver, it's a great time for deals.

At your handicap, I'd say XHot - long, forgiving and hot feeling,  and a TM related product since TM owns them is the Adams Super S - you can find them for about $125 now - long and straight and forgiving from all reviews. It also has a great "real" shaft.

RBZ is forgiving but I'd suggest the two above. The R1 and R11 are meant for guys who hit the ball consistently in the upper center of the face. I've seen too many guys with inconsistent swings or contact patterns spray the ball short, right and left with those clubs. Gotta' tell you that when TM got rid of the Burner Line, the only forgiving club in their lineup was the RBZ Driver ... the remainder of the RBZ line is for guys with higher speeds. For 2 years, I've seen guys try the RBZ lineup in fairways and hybrids, and all fail except for high speed guys.

As to irons, better alternatives that Burner 2.0, and sales are on -

Sorry,

I didnt mean that I pop the ball of the tee, I mean that my slice shows up from time to time. Thanks for the advice, I think I will go down to golf smith and hit the calloway.  I have a 3, and 5 wood diablo that I hit pretty well.

Thanks,

Rocky

What kind of budget are you looking at for your Irons?

There are some really good Irons out right now and depending on your budget I think you could find something you like better than the 2.0's.

Do you have any that you would suggest?  I am okay with a used set, and I am looking to spend from $300-$400 for a set.

Thanks,

Rocky

Go to www.callawaygolfpreowned.com

Find a set of irons.

Put "MYSAVINGS20"  in the promo box, and that gets you 20% off 'til 10/31.

It worked for me.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Go to www.callawaygolfpreowned.com

Find a set of irons.

Put "MYSAVINGS20"  in the promo box, and that gets you 20% off 'til 10/31.

It worked for me.

Thanks for the tip

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you already went and got your clubs Rock26, but I can tell you that for the last 3 weeks I have been in the market to get a new driver and replace my nearly 15 year old generic beginner driver.

I looked into the following clubs; Nike Covert, Callaway X Hot, TM SLDR, R1, and the R11S.  I tested all of them several times in different shops to get a feel for what the sales guy would say and to just a get a feel from different days.  At the end, buying a driver is an investment in your game and the most expensive driver doesn't necessarily represent the best club for you.  Heck, I needed a new putter and was looking at some of the high end clubs and found the club that fit me best was a $40.00 putter.  Since buying it, I have gone from a 3 putt to 1, 2 putt with some very impressive alignments.

Any how, going back to the driver, I ended up buying the TM SLDR. This club is incredible, I literally shoot straighter and farther with that club compared to my original club and comparing it to the other clubs.  The Nike was no fit for me, so I X'd it out of my line up, I tried it 2 different times and just didn't do it for me although the price point wasn't bad.  The TM R11s was my next choice only because it was an older club and the price point was really good, the only thing is that I hit well, but not great, I didn't feel super confident with it, although I do have the RBZ 3 wood and love it.  Going on, when I got the SLDR in my hands and swung it for the first time, it felt great, had a great ping to it when you hit the ball and the launch was insane.  I sacrificed the price point for the longevity of what I would get out of the club. Very much worth every penny.

As far as irons, I like MacGregors, it works for me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

I am still in the market, but I think I might wait a little since I am kinda sold on the rocketbladez irons, and the R1, and thought I would wait on the price to drop a little, or for people to start selling off when upgrading.  But I Will definitely look into the SLDR.

Thanks again,

Rocky

Rocky,

I have the R11S and love it!  This is coming from a guy that was Callaway all the way!!!  You can get some pretty good deals on the R11S right now.  I bought mine when they went on sale when the R1 was coming out.  The R11S is even cheaper now!

Hope that helps.

Driver:        :tmade:- R11s                             GPS:        :skycaddie:- SGXW

3W:            :titleist:-910F 15*                             BAG:        :titleist:- 14 Way carry bag

Hybrid:       :titleist:910H 19*                                           :titleist:- 14 Way Cart bag

Irons 4-PW::titleist:- AP2 712

Wedges:    :vokey:- 52, 56, 60

Putter:       :cameron:- Studio Select 1.5

Ball:          :titleist:- Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 3787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!