IGNORED

EA Sports and Tiger Woods End Partnership

jamo
Note:Β This thread is 3822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I heard from some guy at Golf Channel that they split up because Tiger wanted them to add "cheat codes" to the game, but EA refused.

Obviously, you're being facetious, however, if there was a legal way for them to do something like this, I think it would be a big seller.Β  For example, the one I have ('12 I think) has a game mode where you can "re-live" some great past Tiger moments.Β  I've never played it, but I assume that means they'll put you at the beginning of the final round of some Masters or US Open (maybe '08) and let you try to play it out.

Now, how cool would it be if this latest version hadΒ four "How would you play it?" games, one for each of his issues this year.Β  Abu Dhabi could be as simple as you choosing to take the proper drop and then seeing if you can make the cut and then, can you win the tournament?Β  The Masters could have a few options.Β  Start by letting you choose to drop properly and play out the tournament.Β  Or continue with Tiger's drop, but avoid the incriminating interview, win the tournament, then deal with a monumental fallout, courtesy of Brandel.Β  Or, take the improper drop, then WD yourself and see all the praise you receive (or not - Brandel might still find a way to criticize) after the fact.Β  (They could even have one random GTA5 style option where you can choose to murder David Eger with a machete because he cost you the title ;))Β  For The Players, give you a little slide and choose where to drop.Β  Push it as far forward as you dare before Johnny Miller's head explodes, or just re-tee, win the tournament anyway, and tell him to shove it in the post round interview.Β  And then, of course, at the BMW, you could make the choice not to try and move the stick, or move it and take the proper penalty, or, knowing where that camera crew was, just make sure that your legs are situated so they can't see your ball.Β  Problem solved. ;)

Who wouldn't have fun playing that game???

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think it needs one. What's wrong with "PGA Tour '15" or something similar?Β I don't think Madden's name adds any value to thatΒ franchise, either.

I don't know about that. People don't say they areΒ playing Pro Football, they say they are playing Madden. That's the brand.

Bill M

Exactly..........people have been playing "Madden" since the mid 90's. The Madden name is everything in this case.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I've never cared for the game, I think in part because it was never that good on PC, and I don't have, nor do I plan to get a console. Β It seems like many features from the console never made it into the computer version, so I thought that it was pretty uninspiring. Β I like playing different games, and playing against computer opponents. Β For that reason, I'm still playing Links 2003. Β With nearly unlimited modes of play, user created computer opponents, no need to "unlock" equipment and other arcadish gimmicks, it's much more of Β golfΒ simulation than it is a video game. Β The user can select the course setup at the start of each game,Β pin placements, tee selection (you can even mix the different tees to create different looks to the same course), green firmness and speed. Β There are literally well over 1000 quality courses which have been created with the Arnold Palmer Course Designer by users, many almost exact duplicates of the real course. Β I have played many rounds at Augusta National, even duplicated the famous "Tiger chip" on 16. Β It doesn't have rippling water or moving leaves, but the photoreaistic rendering is still remarkable to me, even though the game is 11 years old and counting. Β I simply prefer the many options and the actual game play of Links over the TW series, and I have tried 3 or 4 iterations of TW over the years.

Early golf simulators used the Links engine for play and rendering. Β One golf store I used to go to back in the 90's used it, and it was the firstΒ time I got to try out clubs on an early, sort of virtual reality simulator.

The game can still be downloaded for $5, and the 1.07 upgrade for Win 7 is free. Β Most of the 1000+ courses are also free downloads.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

I don't know about that. People don't say they areΒ playing Pro Football, they say they are playing Madden. That's the brand.

Exactly..........people have been playing "Madden" since the mid 90's. The Madden name is everything in this case.

Not sure I agree with you guys.Β  We say Madden because that is the name, but that certainly doesn't mean that we wouldn't play it if it had a different name.Β  Maybe we would, maybe we wouldn't.Β  I'm going to guess that we would, because I assume people like it a lot more for the graphics and play than the fact that it's named after an announcer/coach who's been retired for 5 years.

I've never cared for the game, I think in part because it was never that good on PC, and I don't have, nor do I plan to get a console. Β It seems like many features from the console never made it into the computer version, so I thought that it was pretty uninspiring. Β I like playing different games, and playing against computer opponents. Β For that reason, I'm still playing Links 2003. Β With nearly unlimited modes of play, user created computer opponents, no need to "unlock" equipment and other arcadish gimmicks, it's much more of Β golfΒ simulation than it is a video game. Β The user can select the course setup at the start of each game,Β pin placements, tee selection (you can even mix the different tees to create different looks to the same course), green firmness and speed. Β There are literally well over 1000 quality courses which have been created with the Arnold Palmer Course Designer by users, many almost exact duplicates of the real course. Β I have played many rounds at Augusta National, even duplicated the famous "Tiger chip" on 16. Β It doesn't have rippling water or moving leaves, but the photoreaistic rendering is still remarkable to me, even though the game is 11 years old and counting. Β I simply prefer the many options and the actual game play of Links over the TW series, and I have tried 3 or 4 iterations of TW over the years.

Early golf simulators used the Links engine for play and rendering. Β One golf store I used to go to back in the 90's used it, and it was the firstΒ time I got to try out clubs on an early, sort of virtual reality simulator.

The game can still be downloaded for $5, and the 1.07 upgrade for Win 7 is free. Β Most of the 1000+ courses are also free downloads.

I only got the version I got because we have Wii.Β  I figured "Hey, cool, it's like I'm actually playing real golf in my living room."Β  I got bored of it pretty quick and haven't played it in several months.Β  I guess I'm not really a 'gamer.'

People are gonna play it because it's the only option they have for simulation style football. The name isnt "as" important as the game, but it does matter is all Im saying. If Tiger took his name to 2K Sports, Im assuming eventually the "PGA Tour" part of the title will go with him. I dont really see the PGA Tour choosing EA over Tiger Woods anytime soon.

Not sure I agree with you guys.Β  We say Madden because that is the name, but that certainly doesn't mean that we wouldn't play it if it had a different name.Β  Maybe we would, maybe we wouldn't.Β  I'm going to guess that we would, because I assume people like it a lot more for the graphics and play than the fact that it's named after an announcer/coach who's been retired for 5 years.

I only got the version I got because we have Wii.Β  I figured "Hey, cool, it's like I'm actually playing real golf in my living room."Β  I got bored of it pretty quick and haven't played it in several months.Β  I guess I'm not really a 'gamer.'

This exactly, my son is 14, if I wasn't old time Raiders fan he'd have no idea who John Madden is, but he'd still buy the game.Β  The game used to feature John Madden on the cover, now the cover is one of the stars in the NFL who isn't afraid of the Madden Curse.

Other sports games used players names in the past such as; Johnson vs Bird, Jordan vs Bird, Mike Tyson Punchout, but for the most part the league nameΒ NBA, NHL, MLB was featured in the title.Β  Tiger was the most recognized figure in golf, so EA was smart to build the franchise around him but at this point he's not as popular with the kids andΒ EA probably doesn't see as much value with having him tied to the game any longer.

Joe Paradiso

Mark Steinberg, Tiger Woods' agent, says he's talking to another publisher about Tiger's future in videogames. Yesterday, Electronic Arts decided to end its 15-year relationship with Tiger Woods, but this doesn't mean that the red-shirted golfer has been banished from videogames. Today, Mark Steinberg, Woods' agent, revealed that he is currently talking to another publisher about relicensing Tiger's famous face. "We had an incredible run," Steinberg said in an interview with ESPN, "Outside of [John] Madden, you would be hard pressed to find a sports figure that meant as much to a video game company as Tiger meant to EA. But times are changing and EA had to re-evaluate the partnership, and frankly so did we." Steinberg and Woods are keeping quiet about who might be interested in developing a new Tiger Woods game, but 2K Sports would be the obvious choice. Tiger was the most dominant player in professional golf during the 2013 season, so his name obviously still carries some weight. And a Tiger-branded game might be just what 2K needs to elbow its way into the golf market. Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129139-Tiger-Woods-Is-Negotiating-with-Another-Videogame-Publisher#CCqoBRgd4ODlMrVD.99

Mark Steinberg, Tiger Woods' agent, says he's talking to another publisher about Tiger's future in videogames.

Yesterday, Electronic Arts decided to end its 15-year relationship with Tiger Woods, but this doesn't mean that the red-shirted golfer has been banished from videogames. Today, Mark Steinberg, Woods' agent, revealed that he is currently talking to another publisher about relicensing Tiger's famous face.

"We had an incredible run," Steinberg said in an interview with ESPN, "Outside of [John] Madden, you would be hard pressed to find a sports figure that meant as much to a video game company as Tiger meant to EA. But times are changing and EA had to re-evaluate the partnership, and frankly so did we."

Steinberg and Woods are keeping quiet about who might be interested in developing a new Tiger Woods game, but 2K Sports would be the obvious choice. Tiger was the most dominant player in professional golf during the 2013 season, so his name obviously still carries some weight. And a Tiger-branded game might be just what 2K needs to elbow its way into the golf market.

Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129139-Tiger-Woods-Is-Negotiating-with-Another-Videogame-Publisher#CCqoBRgd4ODlMrVD.99

I think Steinberg is fluffing the news, I'd believe him l as much as pigs flying

I'm not sure its all fluff.Β  I alsoΒ am not sureΒ there's enough demand and market to sustain development of 2 golf simulation video games but I do believe Steinberg is speakingΒ with other video game production companies.

I believe there is some shortΒ term potential to steal market share from EA with a new game that features Tiger.Β  EA Sports would lose someΒ sales given they won't be able to use Tiger's name or likeness in their roster of golfers but will try to work around it (like they did withoutΒ Jordan in NBA Live)Β by offering another African American golfer with excellent abilities and a similar name.

IMOΒ it would take a huge effort for a development house to come up with a game that matches the graphics, environment simulation, physicsΒ and features of the EA offering which would be required to sustain it beyond an initial release and quick cash grab.

Joe Paradiso

Lion Forests

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfisher

I think Steinberg is fluffing the news, I'd believe him l as much as pigs flying

I'm not sure its all fluff.Β  I alsoΒ am not sureΒ there's enough demand and market to sustain development of 2 golf simulation video games but I do believe Steinberg is speakingΒ with other video game production companies.

I believe there is some shortΒ term potential to steal market share from EA with a new game that features Tiger.Β  EA Sports would lose someΒ sales given they won't be able to use Tiger's name or likeness in their roster of golfers but will try to work around it (like they did withoutΒ Jordan in NBA Live)Β by offering another African American golfer with excellent abilities and a similar name.

IMOΒ it would take a huge effort for a development house to come up with a game that matches the graphics, environment simulation, physicsΒ and features of the EA offering which would be required to sustain it beyond an initial release and quick cash grab.

Seems to me that there are plenty of people like me would jump at the chance to replace TW with a game that is focused on gameplay, without all of the powerup gimmickry that EA seems to find necessary. Β  TW's arcade style and the Tiger Woods name made it attractive to gamers even more than to golfers. Β There is still a fairly large audience for the 11 year old game that is Links 2003. Β Taking something based on that gameplay and bringing its graphics into the modern era, with a name to attract attention would be a gold mine. Β The only issue is that they would have to find some way to get a piece of EA's deal with the PGA Tour, and that is a major stumbling block in order to use things like the TPC clubs and Tour players. Β Actually, that's one of the bigger expenses in trying to break into the market - getting a stable of recognizable names. Β Links had Arnie back in the day. Β When they lost him, players like Anika, Sergio, Toms, simply couldn't provide the draw thatΒ Tiger did for EA. Β Links wasn't even a money loser for MS at the end, it just wasn't big enough. Β They droppedΒ their entire PC game division to focus on X Box.

Rick

Seems to me that there are plenty of people like me would jump at the chance to replace TW with a game that is focused on gameplay, without all of the powerup gimmickry that EA seems to find necessary. Β  TW's arcade style and the Tiger Woods name made it attractive to gamers even more than to golfers. Β There is still a fairly large audience for the 11 year old game that is Links 2003. Β Taking something based on that gameplay and bringing its graphics into the modern era, with a name to attract attention would be a gold mine. Β The only issue is that they would have to find some way to get a piece of EA's deal with the PGA Tour, and that is a major stumbling block in order to use things like the TPC clubs and Tour players. Β Actually, that's one of the bigger expenses in trying to break into the market - getting a stable of recognizable names. Β Links had Arnie back in the day. Β When they lost him, players like Anika, Sergio, Toms, simply couldn't provide the draw thatΒ Tiger did for EA. Β Links wasn't even a money loser for MS at the end, it just wasn't big enough. Β They droppedΒ their entire PC game division to focus on X Box.

Hey @Fourputt if you're looking then look no further than WGT. It's a free online golf simulator that is head and shoulders about TW. Super realistic and very light on gimmickry. What I like about it is you have to strategize, if you just grip it and rip it like an arcade style golf game you won't break 100. Excellent putting too, had to search for an online putting tutorial before I could figure it out. Tough game with great graphics and courses.

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Hey @Fourputt if you're looking then look no further than WGT. It's a free online golf simulator that is head and shoulders about TW. Super realistic and very light on gimmickry. What I like about it is you have to strategize, if you just grip it and rip it like an arcade style golf game you won't break 100. Excellent putting too, had to search for an online putting tutorial before I could figure it out. Tough game with great graphics and courses.

My internet down here is too dodgy to play a web based game. Β I have to have it available off line or it's doesn't mean much to me. Β I'll give it a look, but I'm not too hopeful. Β Thanks.

Rick

I doubt we'll see a "Lion Forrest" in the game. Jordan wasn't in the game because he opted out of part of the players union. Same with Barry Bonds and Kevin Millar in the old MVP Baseball games so they needed replacements to fill real-world rosters. [quote name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/70824/ea-sports-and-tiger-woods-end-partnership/30_30#post_914211"] Hey @Fourputt if you're looking then look no further than WGT. It's a free online golf simulator that is head and shoulders about TW. Super realistic and very light on gimmickry. What I like about it is you have to strategize, if you just grip it and rip it like an arcade style golf game you won't break 100. Excellent putting too, had to search for an online putting tutorial before I could figure it out. Tough game with great graphics and courses.[/quote] I'm anti-WGT.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

That's a huge issue as many of the Pro's and courses in EA's game most likely signed exclusive, non-compete contracts with EA.Β  A potential option would be for the new developer to go back in time and use Hogan, Seve, Arnie, Jack and others from the past toΒ position the game as the Legends of Golf, which might have even greater appeal for diehards like us.

Joe Paradiso

My internet down here is too dodgy to play a web based game. Β I have to have it available off line or it's doesn't mean much to me. Β I'll give it a look, but I'm not too hopeful. Β Thanks.

I felt bad for you and then I remember that your internet is dodgy because you are in the Bahamas. I'll make that trade any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I doubt we'll see a "Lion Forrest" in the game.

I got roped into trying out Fantasy Golf several years ago, when it was fairly new, I think ... and that was my team name. ;)

I felt bad for you and then I remember that your internet is dodgy because you are in the Bahamas. I'll make that trade any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

So, in this week's episode of "Would You Rather," your choices are ...

Living in Canada where the weather prohibits you from golfing (and apparently sometimes even BEING) outside all throughout the winter,

OR

Living in the beautiful Caribbean with perfect weather day in and day out, yet on an island that does not have a golf course?!?!?!

Note:Β This thread is 3822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!