IGNORED

Sand wedge (54-58?) - is the sweet spot for full(ish) shots lower on the face?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On mats, when I hit medium trajectory 60-75 yard shots, ~20ft, I get a half circle ball bits on the face. Is that too thin? Contact feels good.

Anyone have a photo of a sand wedge face with the black-ish wear mark? Is one of these "better"?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you want it a little higher on the face, like the second and third pic. I believe this is accomplished by proper shaft lean and properly placed swing bottom. But maybe that doesn't apply on pitches where you're looking to engage the bounce. So...disregard this post. :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Not sure if this helps answer your question, but this is my sand wedge.....

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Going out on a limb here, I'm going to propose that where you find the sweet spot on the clubface depends on the club, but also on your swing - AoA, path and face. Not sure there's anything to be learned from comparing one wear mark to another. But if you use impact tape and it shows that you're making consistent contact on the face, and you like the shots, that's probably enough to be going on with.

Going out on a limb here, I'm going to propose that where you find the sweet spot on the clubface depends on the club, but also on your swing - AoA, path and face. Not sure there's anything to be learned from comparing one wear mark to another. But if you use impact tape and it shows that you're making consistent contact on the face, and you like the shots, that's probably enough to be going on with.

Not to be contrary but I gotta disagree. Different clubs could certainly have different sweet spot locations but different swings make no difference. The location of the sweet spot is dictated by the distribution of the mass and weight of the club head so no amount of manipulation on the part of the golfer is going to change that. Also, a little OT but, sweet spots have a location in space but no "size" so all the talk you hear about club X having a larger sweet spot is nonsense. Club X may be more forgiving when you miss the sweet spot but the sweet spot is still a point with no "size".

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Depends how you want to flight it and how much you want to spin it. Lower face contact is generally going to produce a lower trajectory and more spin (due to vertical gear effect), which some would argue is the best way to go inside 100 yards. But it's a matter of personal preference -- if you like to hit high floaters into the green then, no, you probably want a contact point further up the face.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Not to be contrary but I gotta disagree. Different clubs could certainly have different sweet spot locations but different swings make no difference.

The location of the sweet spot is dictated by the distribution of the mass and weight of the club head so no amount of manipulation on the part of the golfer is going to change that.

Well - I think there are various scenarios. Maybe the easiest to visualise is a Phil (or a Tiger, if you prefer ;-) ) lob shot. When you see that face wide open at address, laying almost flat to the ground - you don't think that's going to make contact higher on the face?

Not sure if this helps answer your question, but this is my sand wedge.....

Could you show us your other clubs as well?

Did you leave the '+' out of your handicap???

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On mats, when I hit medium trajectory 60-75 yard shots, ~20ft, I get a half circle ball bits on the face. Is that too thin? Contact feels good.

Anyone have a photo of a sand wedge face with the black-ish wear mark? Is one of these "better"?

Mine looks most like the first picture ... but the mark is about 150% bigger.  I paid for the whole damn club ... I'm gonna use the whole damn club!!

P.S. @David in FL ... I don't believe that is really your SW.  The ONLY way to convince me I'm wrong would be to take a video (preferably one DTL and one FO) of you using it. :-P

The ONLY way to convince me I'm wrong would be to take a video (preferably one DTL and one FO) of you using it.

:-D

He's probably some wealthy businessman, keeping low key and all that.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well - I think there are various scenarios. Maybe the easiest to visualise is a Phil (or a Tiger, if you prefer;-)  ) lob shot. When you see that face wide open at address, laying almost flat to the ground - you don't think that's going to make contact higher on the face?

I don't think the intent with specialty shots are the same. Your not trying hit it pure to get maximum distance with a piercing trajectory, your trying to flop it. Your also flipping through impact so...not the same thing at all. As far as hitting it higher or lower on the face to alter spin, traj etc...the sweet spot can't be both higher and lower so I assume that you would be sacrificing maximum energy transfer in exchange for a spin/trajectory combination that will be advantageous for that particular shot. Again, your not trying to nut these shots as far as possible, your finessing them. Keep in mind I'm basically a beginner in all this stuff but I'm learning a lot on here. If anyone wants to chime in and correct me on any if this I'm ready to proven wrong.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Mine looks most like the first picture ... but the mark is about 150% bigger.  I paid for the whole damn club ... I'm gonna use the whole damn club!! P.S. @David in FL ... I don't believe that is really your SW.  The ONLY way to convince me I'm wrong would be to take a video (preferably one DTL and one FO) of you using it.:-P

I'm with @Golfingdad it's high time that @David in FL broke out the camera and let us all see that sweet, sweet motion of his!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

P.S. @David in FL ... I don't believe that is really your SW.  The ONLY way to convince me I'm wrong would be to take a video (preferably one DTL and one FO) of you using it.:-P

Showing my swing will do NOTHING to convince you that that's my club...... One of these days I'll take a quick video, but I'm warning you, my buddies say that I look like I'm trying to kill a snake with a stick!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Showing my swing will do NOTHING to convince you that that's my club...... One of these days I'll take a quick video, but I'm warning you, my buddies say that I look like I'm trying to kill a snake with a stick!

That's the funnest way to kill a snake.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

You know I'm being 100% facetious, right? I have zero doubts that's yours ... I just want to harass you again to start a swing thread. ;)

Somehow, I find that really hard to believe. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!