IGNORED

TV Viewer Calls In A Rules Violation - It's A Myth

BaldGuy
Note: This thread is 3824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There have been a number of posts regarding the issue of TV viewers calling in and reporting a rules violation. I have come to the conclusion this has never happened. It's a myth.

I now believe, the explanation of a TV viewer calling in, is simply cover for the player reporting another golfer of breaking the rules. This cover gives players the opportunity to report a rules violation anonymously, without fear of retribution or creating ongoing hard feelings amongst the players. Think about the last time you were in a match and had to call out your opponent on a rule. Sometimes it is no big deal but it can easily result in a very uncomfortable situation. I know of a few occurrences at our club that happened years ago and there are still hard feelings between the two players.

Every time I hear about a TV viewer calling in, it makes me ask what is the phone number and who in the hell answers the phone. I always ask what is the phone number and never have received a response.

Have you ever called in and successfully reported a rules infraction? Do you know of anyone that has done so?

If I am wrong about this please let us all know the phone numbers.

I think ICAS that runs this site has talked to someone who knew a rules official at Augusta and who called. I think this will be merged-Seems like its just continuin the old thread.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Iacas".  It is spelled I-a-c-a-s.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Timing is kind of funny. Articles describing the Simon Dyson DQ state that a TV watcher made a call.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/golf-dyson-disqualified-shanghai-touching-line-putt-074532209--golf.html

Not sure how reliable this is, as the article states (bolding mine):

"Television viewers alerted the Tour of the incident, which should have incurred a two-shot penalty, and the 35-year-old Dyson was subsequently penalised for signing a wrong card, Tour chief referee John Paramor said in a statement."

This seems to imply that multiple people called in.

If true, myth busted.

Timing is kind of funny. Articles describing the Simon Dyson DQ state that a TV watcher made a call.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/golf-dyson-disqualified-shanghai-touching-line-putt-074532209--golf.html

Not sure how reliable this is, as the article states (bolding mine):

"Television viewers alerted the Tour of the incident, which should have incurred a two-shot penalty, and the 35-year-old Dyson was subsequently penalised for signing a wrong card, Tour chief referee John Paramor said in a statement."

This seems to imply that multiple people called in.

If true, myth busted.

I think you actually meant myth confirmed, but regardless ... duh.

But OP isn't saying that nobody has ever said that TV viewers called in a penalty, he's saying that when we hear that, it really means something else.  He's saying it's a conspiracy.  I think it's ridiculous though, because if a player sees an infraction he has an obligation to do something right then.  To help your fellow player avoid DQ, and to help the field as well (in case nobody ever discovered the error).  No upstanding player is going to keep information like this to himself until after the round unless he really holds a grudge against that player.

P.S.  The OP's avatar confuses me because I swear I've seen it before, yet it says he's only made one post.  Huh.

P.S.  The OP's avatar confuses me because I swear I've seen it before, yet it says he's only made one post.  Huh.

Definitely a recycled avatar, I've seen it on here as well - did some research, it's lville lefty’s aka Play240Golf

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Definitely a recycled avatar, I've seen it on here as well - did some research, it's lville lefty’s aka Play240Golf

Nice job, NTG. Both Lville Lefty and the OP here are claiming to be Steve Aaronson, owner of a company called 4headwear. Maybe the same guy, or not, who knows. Or maybe that company has more than one owner and it's an honest explanation.

Constantine

I'm the same guy. Sorry for the confusion. Not sure how I have two accounts here.

I'm not saying this is a conspiracy. I'm saying no one has ever called in and as a result a penalty was called on a player. And until I see the phone numbers I'll stand by that belief. To say IACAS knows someone that called an official at Augusta does not cut it. "I know a guy, who knows a guy, who's brother in-law... "

Show me the phone number(s).

• Administrator
Sorry, but it does cut it in my case. I know exactly who I talked to and exactly who they called. Since it's a personal phone number, I'm not sharing it. You're free to conclude that I'm part of the conspiracy, but I'm comfortable with where I stand in things.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik, I'm not saying there is a conspiracy. The fact that someone has an official's phone number and does not want to make it public is perfectly okay with me. The idea that anybody watching a tournament on TV can call in an infraction is what I am saying never happens.

If a rules official can accept a call from a friend of his who presumably has knowledge of the game and then the official decides he should make a ruling based on that phone call, that is entirely different discussion. The general public does not have this opportunity yet the implication is any TV viewer with a phone can call and get a ruling made. It does not happen.

• Administrator

Erik, I'm not saying there is a conspiracy. The fact that someone has an official's phone number and does not want to make it public is perfectly okay with me. The idea that anybody watching a tournament on TV can call in an infraction is what I am saying never happens.

If a rules official can accept a call from a friend of his who presumably has knowledge of the game and then the official decides he should make a ruling based on that phone call, that is entirely different discussion. The general public does not have this opportunity yet the implication is any TV viewer with a phone can call and get a ruling made. It does not happen.

I know in this day and age you can tweet at Golf Channel (who might be covering the event), and if Frank Nobilo or someone sees the tweet, and pulls up the coverage, it can have an effect.

I've made the point in other threads that VERY few call-ins have ever resulted in penalties, but I don't think that NOBODY is capable of calling and reaching someone just because there's no "1-800-PEN-ALTY" number that's shown at the bottom of the screen during every PGA Tour event.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I know in this day and age you can tweet at Golf Channel (who might be covering the event), and if Frank Nobilo or someone sees the tweet, and pulls up the coverage, it can have an effect.

I've made the point in other threads that VERY few call-ins have ever resulted in penalties, but I don't think that NOBODY is capable of calling and reaching someone just because there's no "1-800-PEN-ALTY" number that's shown at the bottom of the screen during every PGA Tour event.

Ha!!!  You said you weren't going to share it!!!!!!!!!!!

OP, I think most people (after exhaustive discussions on other threads) will basically agree with you that random viewers aren't calling in penalties, and basically for the reasons you state (logistics, for one).  Another perfectly reasonable explanation for the "myth" is that reporters make mistakes, or generalizations.  They just know it wasn't an on-course rules official, so they say "viewer."

But saying that since "you know" its a myth, therefore whenever you hear that somebody calls in, thats code for "a fellow player is a rat," that is suggesting a conspiracy.  That's plain silly.

They could just as easily say "anonymous player" or "rules official" or whatever.  No reason to come up with something so goofy if you're making stuff up.

1-800-IH8-TIGS

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I think you actually meant myth confirmed, but regardless ... duh.

But OP isn't saying that nobody has ever said that TV viewers called in a penalty, he's saying that when we hear that, it really means something else.  He's saying it's a conspiracy.  I think it's ridiculous though, because if a player sees an infraction he has an obligation to do something right then.  To help your fellow player avoid DQ, and to help the field as well (in case nobody ever discovered the error).  No upstanding player is going to keep information like this to himself until after the round unless he really holds a grudge against that player.

Maybe I misread, but I thought the myth was that people were calling in. If people were in fact calling in on the Dyson case, that would bust his myth.

I didn't read conspiracy theory, but I guess that would apply if in fact tourney officials and or players were covering up or hiding their actions.

Maybe I misread, but I thought the myth was that people were calling in. If people were in fact calling in on the Dyson case, that would bust his myth.

I didn't read conspiracy theory, but I guess that would apply if in fact tourney officials and or players were covering up or hiding their actions.

No, I don't think you misread, we're just at odds as to what is considered a busted myth. ;)  If this were the TV show "Mythbusters," I believe that the segment would start with the Title "Myth: TV viewers call in to inform officials of penalties."  At the end of the segment, if it was proven that people did, in fact, call in, they'd say Myth: Confirmed.  If it was "busted," that would mean the myth wasn't true ... meaning that the OP is right and people do not call in.

Regardless, I think we both agree that the OP's hypothesis is pretty silly. ;)

Somewhere was mention about email to ET, not phone call.

Somewhere was mention about email to ET, not phone call.

ET used the phone to call home. E-mail wasn't invented when he came to our planet.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

No, I don't think you misread, we're just at odds as to what is considered a busted myth. ;)  If this were the TV show "Mythbusters," I believe that the segment would start with the Title "Myth: TV viewers call in to inform officials of penalties."  At the end of the segment, if it was proven that people did, in fact, call in, they'd say Myth: Confirmed.  If it was "busted," that would mean the myth wasn't true ... meaning that the OP is right and people do not call in.

Regardless, I think we both agree that the OP's hypothesis is pretty silly. ;)

D'oh. I stand corrected. :surrender:

Note: This thread is 3824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!