IGNORED

Decisions, decisions

Note: This thread is 3796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am in the market for a new driver. I love the look of the covert tour driver but am worried about how difficult it will be to hit, and also the red cobra encore but Because I hit the ball so high I want something to try and keep it down a bit. Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

Do you know why you hit the ball high?  Is it because you put alot of backspin on the ball or because you have alot of positive loft at impact?

I ask because the Nike is nice because you can turn it all the way down to 8.5 deg.  It is also a VERY low spin club head so it will keep the ball down.

Just to give you an idea, I have the regular Nike Covert and my other driver is a Cleveland DST300.  The DST300 is a 9 deg with a light weight shaft and I hit the ball to what feels like the clouds.  The nike which is set at 10.5 keeps the ball MUCH lower because it puts alot less spin on the ball.  The downside of less backspin is that the ball doesn't always go as straight with the Nike because the side spin is more prevalent.

My suggestion is to get fitted, don't just buy a driver based on what we have to say here.  If you can't get fitted, than it would be helpful if you could give us as much information about your ball flight as possible.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I am in the market for a new driver. I love the look of the covert tour driver but am worried about how difficult it will be to hit, and also the red cobra encore but Because I hit the ball so high I want something to try and keep it down a bit. Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

Steven,

Tell us more about your current ball flight and set up.  Finding the proper golf shaft will help you accomplish this desired ball flight. Without seeing your swing and launch angle it is difficult to say exactly, but knowing your current driver set up and your stats on distance and ball speed will be a place to start.

Currently have the vrs 9.5 driver standard fubuki shaft stiff flex. Was getting high launch angle minimum 15 degrees and high spin numbers high 3.5-4k. Swing speed was around 100 mph once warmed up. I tried the 913 d2 with rip phenom shaft which gave me a nice flight but I didn't like the feel of the driver itself.

My thought is to try out a bunch of drivers and find one or two that you like the feel of. (I love my Titleist, but I understand how important "feel" is.)  Then my suggestion is to find a good fitter, preferably with an outdoor range and launch monitor, and get a proper fitting.  There are some real smart folks that read this board, and I know they will provide some good suggestions, but a good fitter and launch monitor are the real answer.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Note: This thread is 3796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!