IGNORED

Brett Favre :-(

BruceMGF
Note: This thread is 3797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He may have overestimated the number, but his point still stands.  Football players take a lot more hits than hockey players.  Some of them (interior linemen, linebackers, fullbacks) take fairly forceful hits, frequently to the head, on just about every single play (and probably multiple hits on a lot of plays).  And even if you don't practice in full pads at all during the week (pretty sure they do at least one day) then that's going to be on the order of 100 or more hits every single week.

Hockey players take only a handful of hits per game, and those are, by and large, body to body.  Nobody leads with their head, and when people actually take shoulders or elbows to the head, there is usually a pretty heavy penalty levied against the offender.  Of course, hockey players don't wear very protective helmets so when they do get hit, their protection is compromised.

Not that it means much, but I played rec hockey (roller and ice) for about 10 years and I don't think I took one shot to the head in that entire time.  Of course, rec hockey frowns upon hitting, which is why I said it doesn't mean much, but hey. ;)

It's not just the shots to the head that just do damage, it's impact to the body of any kind that causes the brain to crash into the skull.  You could get a concussion from a hard kick or punch to your body, which is why I said in earlier posts why it's so important to build the neck muscles that support the skull and reduce the bobblehead effect.

Not trying to nitpick but football teams average 66 offensive plays per game of which most players except offensive lineman swap out for different packages, and not every play results in a significant impact.  Conversely, average number of hits in a NHL game is 45 (20-25) per side, but the NHL season is over 4 times as long.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Not trying to nitpick but football teams average 66 offensive plays per game of which most players except offensive lineman swap out for different packages, and not every play results in a significant impact.  Conversely, average number of hits in a NHL game is 45 (20-25) per side, but the NHL season is over 4 times as long.

Your mind appears to be made up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's not just the shots to the head that just do damage, it's impact to the body of any kind that causes the brain to crash into the skull.  You could get a concussion from a hard kick or punch to your body, which is why I said in earlier posts why it's so important to build the neck muscles that support the skull and reduce the bobblehead effect.

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but 20-25 hits per game divided by 18 skaters per team comes to barely more than one per player per game.  It's a safe bet that there are 20-25 hits every two or three football plays.

Anyways, what are we arguing about again?  Both football and hockey are dangerous, we both agree with that. ;)

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but 20-25 hits per game divided by 18 skaters per team comes to barely more than one per player per game.  It's a safe bet that there are 20-25 hits every two or three football plays.

Anyways, what are we arguing about again?  Both football and hockey are dangerous, we both agree with that. ;)

That was basically my point as well.  If you want your kids to play a safe sport through to the college level, hockey or football isn't the right pick.  My son didn't like football (too boring) and has been involved in wrestling for the last 5 years.  This year he will be wrestling for varsity at 14.  I can't say I consider that sport to be much safer either

Joe Paradiso

• 3 weeks later...
I have a vague recollection of this gent of whom you speak, Brent Farv. But as any mathematician will tell you, 12 is greater than 4 and I hope that will become reality eventually as to the good Brent's records.
  • Upvote 1

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

I have a vague recollection of this gent of whom you speak, Brent Farv. But as any mathematician will tell you, 12 is greater than 4 and I hope that will become reality eventually as to the good Brent's records.

There are not the same player and don't have nearly the same player's around them. Arodg does have a good shot a some of Bretts records (not the int's) but its going to be hard for him to stay healthy long enough to get all of them.

There are not the same player and don't have nearly the same player's around them. Arodg does have a good shot a some of Bretts records (not the int's) but its going to be hard for him to stay healthy long enough to get all of them.

It's not the same game either.  Favre played half his career when running was favorable to passing and QB's didn't get protected by the refs like the secret service protects the President.  Apples to oranges comparison and while I like Rodgers, he's got a ways to go before he breaks those team records.

Joe Paradiso

I completely agree. Had Brett played now he would have had even better numbers IMO. He was favorite player for most of my life and I still have a ton of respect for what he did on the field.

Note: This thread is 3797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!