IGNORED

The 50 yard bunker shot.

cipher
Note: This thread is 2994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've hit that shot with a GW, PW, and 8I, and all with reasonable success - in fact I almost holed out the 8I for an eagle, just left a tap in for birdie.  I like trying different things based on how the conditions feel on a given day.  In each case I tried to make a basic explosion shot, hitting the sand about an inch behind the ball, with open stance and open clubface, swinging from about 3/4 to full swing speed.

It's a difficult shot at any time, so anything that helps a player increase his confidence when he sets up to it can't hurt.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah not my most favorite shot, it's just a tough one to gauge. The 8 or 9-iron with an open face like @iacas suggested is typically a good way to go. Gives you a good chance to get the ball on the green and takes the "big miss" out of play.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I personally play the 50 yard bunker shot with a 52* gap wedge. I open up the face slightly, but not as much as in a regular bunker shot, and I take a mighty swing towards the ball aiming to take only a little bit of sand. Really it feels like I'm trying to hit almost a flop shot, since it's nearly pure contact but I'm attempting to feel like I slide the club under it. It works pretty well for me.

The shot I personally hate more is the 3/4 wedge shot from a bunker (around 80 yards or so) since it seems I always blade it clear over the green.

I would either use a 9I and open the face, or take my 50 degree gap wedge and take a half to 2/3 swing and concentrate on hitting like a normal shot and taking a big sand divot after the ball.   I usually do the latter since that's what I've done for a long time.   I'm trying to work the PW and 9I type shot into it.

8 hours ago, Pretzel said:

The shot I personally hate more is the 3/4 wedge shot from a bunker (around 80 yards or so) since it seems I always blade it clear over the green.

I do the same thing.   I think it's because I get quick and really try to hit it crisply instead of trying to take a "normal" swing.  

—Adam

• 1 month later...

I have had success playing with a PW. I open the face and hit behind it like a regular sand shot.  Keep in mind the lip needs to be fairly low to pull this off.  Otherwise you'd have to take a huge swing with your SW and blast it up there.  Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

For 50 yard bunker shot out of fluffy sand, I would hit a 60 degree as if I were hitting it 75 yards and take a little sand before the ball, about 1/2 inch.

Out of hard wet sand it's like a cart path shot, ball first and a touch of sand after, hit it true to the number.

the key to this shot is a slightly early release, so the hit is shallow and not too descending. Smoother and slightly longer swing helps, and a little steeper plane. You have to have good swing plane to start with for these shots or the sand will grab the club or bounce it, that's why it is hard.

Please read this thread when considering swing advice from me.

Note: This thread is 2994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!