IGNORED

TaylorMade JetSpeed - And yet another line of woods for TM

RPMPIRE
Note: This thread is 3503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I kinda disagree on that. IMO the ipad, ipad mini and ipad air are basically all the same. It also seems like they release a phone every 6 months. Don't get me wrong I love Apple shit I have a Mac book pro and wouldn't ever get anything else. I think they are exactly like TM with the marketing of their products.

The last phones were a year ago. They have two basic models of iPad - the mini and the larger one.

Again, not at all like their competitors: far, far slower to release updates and far fewer product models. Just based on that alone, far more like Titleist than TaylorMade, and it's not even close.

So again, a lame analogy that we can safely put to bed and talk about the actual topic, which ain't this. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The last phones were a year ago. They have two basic models of iPad - the mini and the larger one. Again, not at all like their competitors: far, far slower to release updates and far fewer product models. Just based on that alone, far more like Titleist than TaylorMade, and it's not even close. So again, a lame analogy that we can safely put to bed and talk about the actual topic, which ain't this. :)

Yes sir :-(

The crown looks surprisingly like a Callaway driver I had.

Sure is cheaper being a Titleist fanboy. Can't imagine what it must be like always wanting TM's latest and greatest. I haven't seen any ads yet; I presume these are the longest hitting clubs they've ever built?

How'd you know? ;-) Every new driver release you pick up ten yards so this driver goes about 60 yards farther than the R9

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Previously, the obsessed could wait every 2 years for new releases, then annually, and now, every 3 months.

Obsession is expensive.

They are trying to appeal to the obsessed and the guys who haven't updated for one reason or the other.

I know a lot of senior players who can't hit the RBZ fairway line but once every 10 times - heck, they take 3 strokes with the 3 wood on the same hole. Now the Jetspeed may appeal to them, but the shaft lengths are still souped up, so I'd advise them to cut the lengths or go after Adams Tight Lies 2013 - which TMade also owns...

Of course, there are other options ...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

There is nothing more predictable than a flurry of people bagging TM everytime thay bring out something new.

Who cares how often they do it? Who cares what they call them? Noone is forced to buy their stuff.

If their strategy wasn't working, they wouldn't do it.

If you are worried about the resale value of your club, do what the TM staff players do. Stick with a model you like.

But I do feel sorry for retailers stuck with stock that they have to heavily discount because of the punters who think that the latest driver will add distance and/or fix their slice.

Buyer beware and use common sense.

And if I read one more "Hmmm------they copied Mizuno" comment I'll puke.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I'm actually surprised that people at TMAG think this is a good trend.  Isn't this what got Callaway in trouble a few years back?  They released so many different types of irons and woods that nobody could keep track of them and then they just sort of lost their identity.  This was why I was always drawn to Titleist clubs for so long.  As a consumer, I would think to myself that a company that only made a few products would likely make them better than a company that was basically diluting itself.

I'm not saying that that opinion is even partially right, but I don't think it's uncommon.  And who cares if the consumer is not buying your product for the wrong reason, all that matters is that they are not buying your product.

I love it when titleist fans moan about TM equipment/marketing! I see it all the time! They just love to hate it! Same old comments and analogies but just recycled and exaggerated with every new product, it's so ironic! But at least it gives them something to read about while waiting for a new titleist product! And as for re-sale value! Eh? Who buys clubs to re-sell?

Gaz Lee

• Administrator
I love it when titleist fans moan about TM equipment/marketing! I see it all the time! They just love to hate it! Same old comments and analogies but just recycled and exaggerated with every new product, it's so ironic! But at least it gives them something to read about while waiting for a new titleist product! And as for re-sale value! Eh? Who buys clubs to re-sell?

Who says it's just Titleist fans? I have one or two Titleist clubs in my bag only but don't particularly care for TM's approach to product cycles.

There's something to be said about having clear product categories. Give the consumer too many choices and rather than sort through the mess, many will just opt for a company with clearer, more obvious choices.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm actually surprised that people at TMAG think this is a good trend.  Isn't this what got Callaway in trouble a few years back?  They released so many different types of irons and woods that nobody could keep track of them and then they just sort of lost their identity.  This was why I was always drawn to Titleist clubs for so long.  As a consumer, I would think to myself that a company that only made a few products would likely make them better than a company that was basically diluting itself.

I'm not saying that that opinion is even partially right, but I don't think it's uncommon.  And who cares if the consumer is not buying your product for the wrong reason, all that matters is that they are not buying your product.

There's something to be said about having clear product categories. Give the consumer too many choices and rather than sort through the mess, many will just opt for a company with clearer, more obvious choices.

I think TM is starting to lose their identity a little bit with their line of drivers just like Callaway lost their identity with their irons. Callaway released I believe it was 3 different line of irons at the same time. There were a lot of different RAZR irons along with the Diablo and the X Hot line. I don't even know what's what anymore. I do think TM could be following down the same path. In 2013 alone, they released the R1, RBZ Stage 2, the SLDR not too long ago and now the Jetspeed. The year before, they had the R11s and even I thought that was still fresh in the market when they announced the R1. Most other companies will release that many in 2-3 years.

It could be that they're trying to consolidate their line of drivers by phasing out the RBZ.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

No one is saying their clubs or marketing aren't good, it's just at some point you lose credibility in the industry when you release new drivers every three months and claim they add 10 yards to your drive.  I like reading and checking out the newest clubs.  I'd say I'm more up to date than most people I know (except here) on what the current clubs are from every manufacturer and I have a tough time keeping all the names straight, RBZ, RBZ Stage 2, RocketBladez, SpeedBladez, JetSpeed, R1, R1 Tour, R1 Black, R1 Tour Pro, SLDR.

As Golfingdad said, Callaway totally confused the market with all their product lines and lost share to TM and others.  I know to us, there's two product lines, but when you walk into Golfsmith and they have the R1, R1 TP, R1 Black, RBZ Stage 2, RBZ Stage 2 Tour and SLDR all sitting on the shelf next to one another, it's confusing for the average person.

Do I really care, no, I don't own stock in TM and don't particularly like their approach to the industry but I do think they WERE marketing geniuses.

Joe Paradiso

I never suggested it was only titleist fans, but they appear to be the main culprits to me, my bag consists of TM, Cleveland and Geek golf, and I've had Wilson, my bag is Calloway, shoes are nike, I'm neither loyal to any brand, I just use what I like the look and feel off, and pay what I feel is a reasonable price! ...and even though I tire of the constant jibes TM receive, I do still find the odd comment amusing! But it's like anything, if there is a market for more products, then a manufacturer will supply for it, and there obviously is a market for them or TM wouldn't be constantly bring out new products! You have to admire their business ethics!

Gaz Lee

Good thing about all the releases is that the "last years/moments" model usually goes on sale when new ones comes out. I got the RocketBallz Hybrid/Rescue clubs (19°, 22°, 25°) for $99 new minus $10 off coupon at Golfsmith. So $89 per club for that technology is pretty sweet.

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

Also, if you walk into a shop for a product and there is 10 different types of the same product, but 8 are made by one company, and the other 2 are made by someone else, the company with the larger selection will inevitably sell more products! And because some of their products maybe not be so recent they will cover a larger price scale thus providing products for different budgets! I'm not some TM mega fan by the way, but you can't knock someone for being good at what they do!

Gaz Lee

Hmmm..... They copied Mizuno... Sorry, Shorty, couldn't resist. Though I also can't seem to resist tossing a rock sometimes, as a free market believer I completely agree that it is TM's choice to take this approach if they feel it is best for their brand. Not long ago I opined in another thread that, though it may amaze and sometimes overwhelm folks that follow club releases like, well, hobbyists, there are a LOT of people that don't follow web sites like this or even read Golf Digest often. They don't buy new clubs often either. But when they do, they pick up a few magazines and poke around the internet looking for what is new and hot, you know, getting a lot of buzz. After a couple of months new products have had their buzz, even really solid ones. Making sure you always have a newest latest greatest fresh on the market is a good thing. Know who I feel sorry for? The dealers that I suspect, but do not know, have quotas to buy. Again, I suspect, but do not know for certain that that is why people find so many different "generations" of TM products on the racks, and why you can get great deals on some of those. That is a win for some folks too!

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

• Administrator
Also, if you walk into a shop for a product and there is 10 different types of the same product, but 8 are made by one company, and the other 2 are made by someone else, the company with the larger selection will inevitably sell more products!

Uhm, no. Not necessarily true, and often, the opposite is true.

See my post about confusing consumers with too many choices. Many will instead skip the hassle and choose the company that presents simpler choices.

It costs everyone more to have more products in the marketplace, and you risk annoying and aggravating retailers too. I know of several pro shops that stopped carrying TaylorMade because of things like this. So given the choice between two types and ZERO, which do you think will sell better? :P

Uhm, no. Not necessarily true, and often, the opposite is true. See my post about confusing consumers with too many choices. Many will instead skip the hassle and choose the company that presents simpler choices. It costs everyone more to have more products in the marketplace, and you risk annoying and aggravating retailers too. I know of several pro shops that stopped carrying TaylorMade because of things like this. So given the choice between two types and ZERO, which do you think will sell better? :P

Haha! I do see your point, but I still think a company with more selection and price ranges will sell more products than other companies in the majority of cases, not just in golf but any kind of retail, with TM acquiring other companies ie Adams, Adidas, ashworth, maybe they could spread they're product list out by utilising their different companies more, so not to overwhelm the consumer! I do understand what it is your saying, but nowadays most outlets have the facility to try before you buy, so there should be no reason to get confused, work out ya budget, spend half hour, hit all drivers within your budget, buy what feels best! Leave happy!

Gaz Lee

LOL it was ridiculous a few years ago, I think Callaway had up to eight models of irons available, no structure to the brand at all.

In 2013 alone, they released the R1, RBZ Stage 2, the SLDR not too long ago and now the Jetspeed. The year before, they had the R11s and even I thought that was still fresh in the market when they announced the R1. Most other companies will release that many in 2-3 years.

It could be that they're trying to consolidate their line of drivers by phasing out the RBZ.

Don't forget the R1 Black ;-)

Yes I think the JetSpeed is suppose to replace the RBZ line.  TaylorMade has their "premium" line that retails for $399 and then their $299 line which has been the RBZ/Burner products.  The JetSpeed looks so similar I think people can easily be confused that it's replacing SLDR.

See my post about confusing consumers with too many choices. Many will instead skip the hassle and choose the company that presents simpler choices.

It costs everyone more to have more products in the marketplace, and you risk annoying and aggravating retailers too. I know of several pro shops that stopped carrying TaylorMade because of things like this. So given the choice between two types and ZERO, which do you think will sell better? :P

When TaylorMade restructured their company in 2000 they did exactly that, came out with three irons, the 300 series I think.  An oversized set, a medium sized cavity and forged "pro" cavity backs.  Did the same thing with their metal woods.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

The way I look at it, and maybe I'm wrong, these incredibly short cycles of TM's just mean that the slightly older models are going to drop down in price in another month, so when I go shopping flush with Christmas cash I'll have more options at a lower cost :)

Russ B.

Note: This thread is 3503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!