IGNORED

Golf is harder than it looks!

Guest ShadowXOR
Note: This thread is 6093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guest ShadowXOR
I'm completely new to golf and plan on getting lessons. However, I just went down to the driving range with my new clubs and fooled around. I was getting decent at driving but I really sucked at using my irons. I had some fun on the chipping and putting grounds as well. I sucked at both as well. People make it look smooth but I had problems following through with my swings, my body naturally wanted me to stop the club after I hit the ball. Not sure why. Surprisingly my fiance seemed to enjoy it as well, it would be great to have someone to play with (just moved to a new area where I know NOBODY).

I don`t think you`ll ever find a person, who after one try thinks golf is easier than it seems when watching others.
But always nice that people start playing the beautiful game. If you get a membership at a place, start playing. After a while, you`ll surely end up with someone that you really enjoy playing golf with.
Just ask whether or not they would like to play another round one day...

Good luck with the golfing, by the way. If you need any tips or anything, you just ask.

I have made one hole in one this far. While you are reading this, I am most likely out on the tee trying to sink another one

Guest ShadowXOR

Thanks for the comments. I wish the driving range I went to had yardage signs, I'm curious to find out how pathetic my shots were.

There is no need for yardage signs, in my opinion. Have you ever played a round? First of all, the range balls will go 10-20% shorter than regular balls, as the quality is poorer.
And second, you`ll imagine your shots, and simulating them while playing. This perhaps the best way of learning, by simulating your shots.

I have made one hole in one this far. While you are reading this, I am most likely out on the tee trying to sink another one

Hey hey, congrats on taking up this wonderful game! Welcome!

IMO, taking lessons are the best way to go when you're new. It's amazing how bad you can screw up some of the most basic things when left to your own devices - and I say that from experience Seriously, having a pro at your side checking your grip, alignment, etc., at the very beginning is a huge advantage. It's not impossible to learn without lessons, but it sure takes a heck of a lot longer.

Good luck! And don't worry about finding playing partners (are you in Wash DC or State?). Most courses will pair you up with groups looking to fill out a foursome, and you'll probably be pleasantly suprised at how you can build friendships that way. Also, once you start taking lessons you can ask your pro if he's teaching anyone else of your level who is looking for playing buddies. And of course, if all else fails, you can always look forward to more bonding and quality time with the fiance. Woo hoo!

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

It's been my experience that new people have a harder time with their iron shots than they do with the driver. Take my wife for example. She can actually hit her driver pretty well (she hits about 175 off the tee, and keeps it pretty straight most of the time). However, she has limited success hitting off the ground with an iron. And she hasn't developed much touch with her pitch or chip shots around the green yet.

I also get a laugh on how people will say the old phrase "hey, does your husband play?" when I've hit a putt that comes up way short. My response to that is "you obviously haven't seen my wife putt". She'll have a three-footer left, and she hits it as hard as if it were a ten-footer.

But I digress. I think for amateurs hitting a teed-up ball is easier. With iron shots, you have to worry about hitting it "fat" or "thin" a little more than a teed-up shot. But like everyone else said, practice is key. Once you get the feeling of a well-struck iron shot, you'll be hooked forever. Golf is the best game on the planet.
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

I'm completely new to golf and plan on getting lessons. However, I just went down to the driving range with my new clubs and fooled around. I was getting decent at driving but I really sucked at using my irons. I had some fun on the chipping and putting grounds as well. I sucked at both as well. People make it look smooth but I had problems following through with my swings, my body naturally wanted me to stop the club after I hit the ball. Not sure why. Surprisingly my fiance seemed to enjoy it as well, it would be great to have someone to play with (just moved to a new area where I know NOBODY).

Golf is very hard. The pros do make it look easy. If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to work from the hole backwards. Learn to putt, then chip, then pitch, then finally the full swing.

A good plan for this is Bobby Clampett's Impact Zone.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Guest ShadowXOR
How long should I wait before I play a nine hole course of par-threes? From what I understand that is the first place to play a game, but how much practice/lessons do I need before that?

How long should I wait before I play a nine hole course of par-threes? From what I understand that is the first place to play a game, but how much practice/lessons do I need before that?

I say if you're comfortable enough, dive right in and go play a round. That's what those executive courses are for.

Just don't get nervous when there is a group behind you. I've noticed a lot of new players get nervous when they think that they're making the group behind them wait too long. Just think of two things: - Take your time. They will wait. They have no choice. Don't rush, otherwise you'll only make your game worse. - If you feel they are crawling up your rear on every hole, simply wait on the next tee and let them play through. My wife comes out to play with me a couple times a year usually, and we almost always play a 9-hole executive course. And she still hasn't gotten over the nervousness of having people behind us waiting. I just tell her "Screw them, they can wait, just relax and hit the ball. We'll let them play through on the next hole, but for now don't worry about them".
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

First get some lessons. second learn to hit the ball at least 100yrds with your Irons. Third go to the exc. cours and have fun. If you have people right on you let them play through on the next tee then play the hole, if the next group gets to you let them go through on the next tee. Have fun.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Golf is never easy the first time around, when I first started playing whiffs were very common along with enormous slices.

In my Bag:
SQ 10.5*
Old Burner 15*
CPR hybrid 21*
NDS Irons (4-PW) Vokey 52*,Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Vokey Spin Milled 60* NewportBallsTP Red

Guest ShadowXOR
Golf is never easy the first time around, when I first started playing whiffs were very common along with enormous slices.

I definitely had a mean slice but I didn't whiff it much, maybe two or three times.

I definitely had a mean slice but I didn't whiff it much, maybe two or three times.

I guess it was just me, but when I started out I whiffing was a big problem for me to overcome. But then again, I was only 10 so I guess I wanted to see the ball before I hit it.

In my Bag:
SQ 10.5*
Old Burner 15*
CPR hybrid 21*
NDS Irons (4-PW) Vokey 52*,Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Vokey Spin Milled 60* NewportBallsTP Red

Guest ShadowXOR
The problems I noticed on myself were not following through, flinching when the club made contact with the ball, and not being able to keep an eye on it after I hit it to watch my beautiful shot. :) Hitting the ball with the part of the club I needed to was also difficult. And as I said before, any long distance iron shots I found very difficult.

I say if you're comfortable enough, dive right in and go play a round. That's what those executive courses are for.

Roody took the words right out of my mouth. Go play if you feel comfortable the best learning you can ever do will be on the course.

I still get a little tense when someone comes up behind us but you paid to play the hole so I say play it they can wait and let them play thru on the next hole. And yes it's harder than it looks but is so much fun. Welcome to the game

Irons Racs 3 thru 9
Woods R5 3 and 5
Driver R5 460 CC

Surprisingly my fiance seemed to enjoy it as well, it would be great to have someone to play with (just moved to a new area where I know NOBODY).

Actually you do.. The best playing partner you can ever have is your fiance. My wife and I play together ever weekend and next year are looking to play in the league where she works.

Irons Racs 3 thru 9
Woods R5 3 and 5
Driver R5 460 CC

Guest ShadowXOR
Actually you do.. The best playing partner you can ever have is your fiance. My wife and I play together ever weekend and next year are looking to play in the league where she works.

Well yeah, but it isn't guaranteed she will get into it. But I will definitely play with her but I know she works different hours than me so won't be available all the time. It would be great to have an alternate male golfing buddy to chat with.

Note: This thread is 6093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!