IGNORED

curious about my talent level.

matthewg1982
Note: This thread is 3776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been playing golf for about 4 years now. Only serious about a year. Recently joined a country club. 31 years old. I am just curious about how good I can get. I only ask this because I believe( as well as most golfers) I can be really good. I dont really have a handicap. But the reason I think I can be really good is the fact that I drive the ball consistently 290-325 and straight. I out drive everyone I know. And most have been playing most of their life. Thinking about getting in amateur tourneys. Scores range from 80 to 95. Few pars and a birdie in every round. I am kind of just now getting obsessed.

300 yard drives are awesome! Well, at least if they're mostly always in a good spot in the fairway or at least a not bad spot just off the fairway. The next step to greatness is turning those into greens in regulation with a shortish birdie putt; and then of course sinking the putt. Keep at it, play smart (sometimes that means giving up hope on making the green in regulation and trying to salvage a bogy gracefully), who knows how far you can go?

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Post a swing under the My Swing thread on the forum and we can see how good you are. It is impossible to say your claims are right because we have never seen you swing.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Before you step foot into the realm of competitive tournament golf you need to prepare yourself for playing much worse than you usually do.

I played my first tournament with a handicap of 24. The two people in my group were a 2 and a -.7, both shooting under par both days. My scores were 116 and 108, as opposed to my usual mid-90's score. But the tournament really taught me some important lessons for both golf and life. Before you foray out into competition, remember these things:

1) If you start to think that you're having a bad day, you're going to have a bad day

2) If you see a playing partner pull an 8 iron when you have a 6 iron from the same area, stick to your guns.

3) Distract yourself as much as possible between shots. I guarantee you can't focus with enough intensity for 5 hours continuously.

4) Get familiar with the rules so that they don't bite you later

5) Course management tip: Sometimes the best option is just to take an Unplayable Lie and move on to the next shot.

6) They're called your playing partners for a reason. They aren't your enemies, the course is.

7) Have fun! If you're a serious kind of guy, then don't worry about seeming gruff to your playing partners since that's just the way you are. Conversely, if you're like me and are more laidback or relaxed you don't need to worry about having a small bit of conversation on the side as you walk down the fairways provided you aren't talking while others are hitting.

That last one is what got me for the first two years of tournaments. I would go out and try to be serious, never talking and always trying to act professional. It only made me more tense over each shot rather than giving me a feeling of confidence like it gives others. I'm a friendly person and can't help but talk to someone or sing quietly to myself as I walk down the fairway, and it's something that helps distract me until it's time to focus. Doing that also makes me feel excited when I get to my shot since it's been a minute or two since I thought about golf seriously and allows me to relax even in pressure situations.

• Upvote 2

300 yard drives are awesome! Well, at least if they're mostly always in a good spot in the fairway or at least a not bad spot just off the fairway. The next step to greatness is turning those into greens in regulation with a shortish birdie putt; and then of course sinking the putt.

THIS. This is not a knock on you, but many good players could probably out play you with 200 yard drives. It's all about getting the ball in a perfect spot on the fairway. Then all you have to do is stick it close to the pin ;)

Keep up the hard work!

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I agree 300 yard drives are awesome (if that's what they truly are) but one of the things I've noticed over the 30 years of playing golf, most people, especially high handicappers, over-estimate how far they hit the ball, not saying you do but most people I've played with that say they average 300 yards on their drives rarely do.  I've been playing a long time and hit the ball fairly long and rarely play with many folks that out drive me, but I bet I average 270-280 off the tee.  But unless you are hitting them straight every time, it's better to be in the fairway and hit lots of greens then to hit it 300 yards offline.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I agree 300 yard drives are awesome (if that's what they truly are) but one of the things I've noticed over the 30 years of playing golf, most people, especially high handicappers, over-estimate how far they hit the ball, not saying you do but most people I've played with that say they average 300 yards on their drives rarely do.  I've been playing a long time and hit the ball fairly long and rarely play with many folks that out drive me, but I bet I average 270-280 off the tee.  But unless you are hitting them straight every time, it's better to be in the fairway and hit lots of greens then to hit it 300 yards offline.

I've learned the 1 yard equals 1.37 internet yards and 1 yard equals 1.14 clubhouse yards. Until I figured that out I thought people were just lying.

• Upvote 1

I've learned the 1 yard equals 1.37 internet yards and 1 yard equals 1.14 clubhouse yards. Until I figured that out I thought people were just lying.

sliceoflife has made a formula...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks for all the input. Fixing to head to course now. But gonna go buy a new wedge or two first. All I have now is an old sand wedge. Been reading alot on here. Apparently short game is important. Lol

Thanks for all the input. Fixing to head to course now. But gonna go buy a new wedge or two first. All I have now is an old sand wedge. Been reading alot on here. Apparently short game is important. Lol

If you have been reading the forum, you would understand that the long game is more important than the short game.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/14930/is-the-long-game-more-important-than-short-game

http://thesandtrap.com/t/58816/65-25-10-practice-ratios-where-to-devote-your-practice-time

As for equipment, a good variety of wedges is important. I recommend at least two wedges, but I am more of a one wedge for 80-90% of my shots type of guy.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

If you have been reading the forum, you would understand that the long game is more important than the short game.

Well not really. Its just the opinion of the majority and the majority opinion doesn't make something fact. The world was flat years ago apparently.

I know this is off topic but........

ITS NOT AN OPINION!!!!!!!

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Well not really. Its just the opinion of the majority and the majority opinion doesn't make something fact. The world was flat years ago apparently.

Nope, the world was never flat.  Some people just mistakenly thought that it was.....

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!