IGNORED

Weight shift and maintaining lag

Golfreal
Note: This thread is 3807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I believe I move my hips (weight shift) too quickly to the left in the downswing leaving my arms behind thus creating a premature releasing of the wrist angles prior to impact.  Are there any drills that could assist in maintaining better synchronization between my weight shift and my arms so that the lag can be maintained more effectively.   Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Mike - that's a good slo-mo video.  I also am fighting the fats, but making good progress in retaining lag.  Where I seem to be hung up on is finding a trigger or thought as to when to start breaking wrists.  On 1/2 swings and pitch shots, I hit very flush, but on full swing irons, I tend to want to cast the club.  I know I'm so very close to crisp full irons, but need some kind of trigger to restrict my wrists/hands until the right momement. Thanx for any suggestion you might have.

• Administrator

Mike - that's a good slo-mo video.  I also am fighting the fats, but making good progress in retaining lag.  Where I seem to be hung up on is finding a trigger or thought as to when to start breaking wrists.  On 1/2 swings and pitch shots, I hit very flush, but on full swing irons, I tend to want to cast the club.  I know I'm so very close to crisp full irons, but need some kind of trigger to restrict my wrists/hands until the right momement. Thanx for any suggestion you might have.

I've never told someone to "restrict the wrists." I think you're chasing a ghost if you go down that path. I've said this several times and expanded upon it a few times, but "lag happens." It's not something you "force" or "maintain."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never told someone to "restrict the wrists." I think you're chasing a ghost if you go down that path. I've said this several times and expanded upon it a few times, but "lag happens." It's not something you "force" or "maintain."

Correct, lag happens.  If you're casting, then something is causing you to cast, usually it's either that the weight isn't forward enough or there is a sequencing issue with the arms and pivot.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks Mike & Erik for your input.  Soon I'm going to video myself so I can review my swing.  I'm sure I'll be somewhat shocked !   Do you know of site I can foward it to for analysis ?

Evolvr. Get it done.

Yep Evolvr is awesome

http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!