IGNORED

Forged or cavity back

smetz10
Note: This thread is 3771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mizuno jpx ez if you looked at it you would immediately think cast gi irons like the 800s but they are forged.

In the :ogio: Cart Bag :cleve: Launcher 9.5° Stiff :dunlop: 15° 3W Stiff :wilson_staff: D100 / 19 & 22° Hybrids Stiff :adams: CB3 Irons 4-GW Steel :adams: A7OS 54.5° SW :nike: 60/06 V Red LW :cobra: 35" Face Balanced Mallet Putter

Wake me when Callaway comes up with something that hasnt been done already...

Wake me when you have something nice to say about a company besides Mizuno or any other pet favorite(s) you have.-Why do you bother to comment on other companies-When all you have to offer is shit?

I have to agree with Phil here, your Mizuno fanaticism seems to be on the rise lately.  There are a lot of good forged irons out there, Mizuno's included.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah most players will like the feel of a cavity back because a blade will be more "responsive" on off center hits.

Everytime this topic comes up I always have the same answer, so I took a picture the other day to further illustrate it. :)

This is from the range on Tuesday.  It's a cluster of about 5 or 6 shots with (obviously) my 9-iron.  (For those who don't know or can't tell, it's a Ping i20 cast, cavity back)  My 9-iron distance is about 150 ... this day with the light wind at my back it was perhaps 155.  The results of all of those shots you see there were in the 140-145 range, AND they barely felt any different than a well struck shot.  (Yes, that's including the one that hit partially off the grooves there too)

Now, had I been playing with blades or musclebacks, or any less forgiving iron, the distances would have likely been considerably less, and I imagine it would have hurt like hell in my fingertips.

As much fun as it would be to own and play a set of blades, I still need to help. ;)

• Upvote 1

This is from the range on Tuesday.  It's a cluster of about 5 or 6 shots with (obviously) my 9-iron.  (For those who don't know or can't tell, it's a Ping i20 cast, cavity back)  My 9-iron distance is about 150 ... this day with the light wind at my back it was perhaps 155.  The results of all of those shots you see there were in the 140-145 range, AND they barely felt any different than a well struck shot.  (Yes, that's including the one that hit partially off the grooves there too)

Now, had I been playing with blades or musclebacks, or any less forgiving iron, the distances would have likely been considerably less, and I imagine it would have hurt like hell in my fingertips.

As much fun as it would be to own and play a set of blades, I still need to help. ;)

Have you checked your clubs for optimum swing weight, MOI, or offset? Maybe with the right club set up they wouldn't need to be so forgiving. Maybe it's the arrow and not the Indian???

Have you checked your clubs for optimum swing weight, MOI, or offset? Maybe with the right club set up they wouldn't need to be so forgiving. Maybe it's the arrow and not the Indian???

Not sure what you mean.  I shouldn't like the idea that I have so much forgiveness?  Regardless ... yeah, these were professionally fitted (trackman, adjusted lofts, lies, lengths, spined, the whole shebang) so I presume that everything is where its supposed to be.

Not sure what you mean.  I shouldn't like the idea that I have so much forgiveness?  Regardless ... yeah, these were professionally fitted (trackman, adjusted lofts, lies, lengths, spined, the whole shebang) so I presume that everything is where its supposed to be.

Didn't really mean anything other than that some people have a forgiving club that doesn't fit and since the club contributes to the off center hits it's a good thing it's forgiving. If the clubs are right that doesn't apply in your case.

Didn't really mean anything other than that some people have a forgiving club that doesn't fit and since the club contributes to the off center hits it's a good thing it's forgiving. If the clubs are right that doesn't apply in your case.

Oh, I would love to blame my clubs if I could ... but, nope, sadly, the main contribution to the off-center hits is the fact that I suck. :-P

My experience is the same as Golfingdad. I was fitted for my clubs, I use the Cleveland 588 TT, it's advertised as a "players" CB. My mishits travel towards the target for the most part with just slight distance variances. The exception would be the totally blown mishit like a chunk. When I was playing less forgiving clubs earlier in the year my mishits suffered severe distance loss. The mishit feedback was definitely there but it did nothing to improve my swing and it definitely didn't improve my scores. Anything but a robot perfect strike was unpredictable. I saw as much as 50-70 yards variance in longer irons. The velocity just wasn't there and balls dropped to the ground quickly. I certainly didn't see any upside because well struck shots didn't have any appreciable gains. I still feel it when I don't hit it well. The difference is what happens after that.

Dave :-)

A wise man once told me that even a good ballstriker, if their miss tendency is towards the toe, they're liable to like cavity back clubs. On the other hand, a relatively poorer striker might miss the sweetspot more often but if they tend to miss towards the heel, they might still feel quite happy hitting blades.

A wise man once told me that even a good ballstriker, if their miss tendency is towards the toe, they're liable to like cavity back clubs. On the other hand, a relatively poorer striker might miss the sweetspot more often but if they tend to miss towards the heel, they might still feel quite happy hitting blades.

Ive found just by bouncing a ball off the club face that sweet spots are more towards the heel and this is the same on all 9 sets of irons I own.

In the :ogio: Cart Bag :cleve: Launcher 9.5° Stiff :dunlop: 15° 3W Stiff :wilson_staff: D100 / 19 & 22° Hybrids Stiff :adams: CB3 Irons 4-GW Steel :adams: A7OS 54.5° SW :nike: 60/06 V Red LW :cobra: 35" Face Balanced Mallet Putter

Oh, I would love to blame my clubs if I could ... but, nope, sadly, the main contribution to the off-center hits is the fact that I suck.

I wish I sucked at golf like you do, maybe I'd be a 7 too.  I agree with all your posts on the topic.  Forgiveness is our friend, only reason to sacrifice it is if you're very good at working the ball and for some reason your swing requires a blade to do so.

Joe Paradiso

I have to agree with Phil here, your Mizuno fanaticism seems to be on the rise lately.  There are a lot of good forged irons out there, Mizuno's included.

When did I say anything about Mizuno?  Im just not at all impressed with Cally.  Clearly you guys missed my comments in the thread about Nike.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Everytime this topic comes up I always have the same answer, so I took a picture the other day to further illustrate it. :)

Usually when I'm that far out onto the toe with my Adams set, the results are pretty bad.  Must be the result of Ping's attention to toe-weighting that allows you to get away with that.  On the other hand, if I hit it anywhere from the center right up to the hosel the feel and distance is solid.  Unfortunately I tend to miss towards the toe, but the good news is I just picked up a cheap set of G2s that will be in competition for my bag shortly.

Usually when I'm that far out onto the toe with my Adams set, the results are pretty bad.  Must be the result of Ping's attention to toe-weighting that allows you to get away with that.

Probably ... there is a heavy insert out there (tungsten maybe??) that my old clubs didn't have.  They were also cavity backs but less forgiving, more like your Adams' ... when I hit one on the toe of those, it is really painful in my fingers (I usually drop the club and jump around waving my hand around like when you jam it in a door or something) and goes nowhere. :)

Probably ... there is a heavy insert out there (tungsten maybe??) that my old clubs didn't have.  They were also cavity backs but less forgiving, more like your Adams' ... when I hit one on the toe of those, it is really painful in my fingers (I usually drop the club and jump around waving my hand around like when you jam it in a door or something) and goes nowhere. :)

Yeah it's a tungsten insert and it's there to help on off center hits.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm thinking of switching to forged irons. Any thoughts

at a 10 handicap that you have posted, you may have things backwards. I think most on this board can agree that forged feel better and some of the forged blade product by companies such as Mizuno have a look and feel that is great, provided you hit on the screws. Beyond that there are a lot of clubs out there that forged with a cavity &  some cast that kind of have that feel of forged.

again at a 10 handicap, spend some time and money at getting fit correctly, pay close attention to shaft weight and stiffness. Getting a forged club won't make you a better golfer, than again what good is forged if you are staring down over something that has a huge offset, wide sole & thick topline.. Also for a set of forged  irons typically will be about 25-30 more per club- sometimes more.

I hit the ap2's. They just felt really good. I'm in the market to buy new irons. My biggest problem with my game is inconsistency. I can shoot a 75 and the next time out a 95. I want clubs that I feel comfortable with.

i play the hallway x forged and love them. I'm a 10 handicapper as well

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

Note: This thread is 3771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!