IGNORED

My Swing (Paiste)

Paiste
Note: This thread is 3526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 1 year

My current handicap index or average score is: 15/85

My typical ball flight is: High

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Fat

Videos:

Sorry for all of the pics guys, I can't get my video to upload. I know that my hands are a little ahead just before impact and if there is anything else, don't hesitate to point it out. Cheers.

Even though the hands are forward, a good thing, the torso tips back on the downswing causing those fat shots.  Recommend two things:

- Keep the hips centered on the back swing, don't let them shift back.  Will help with the downswing, create less "need" for the upper body to tip back.

- As you transfer your weight forward, feel like the left shoulder stays at the same height from top of the back swing to left arm parallel to the ground on the downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Even though the hands are forward, a good thing, the torso tips back on the downswing causing those fat shots.  Recommend two things:

- Keep the hips centered on the back swing, don't let them shift back.  Will help with the downswing, create less "need" for the upper body to tip back.

- As you transfer your weight forward, feel like the left shoulder stays at the same height from top of the back swing to left arm parallel to the ground on the downswing.

Actually, that's exactly what I noticed at the range yesterday. Thanks for the tip. I'm currently taking lessons from a CPGA certified professional and he's done wonders for my swing. I've been hacking away for about 10 years, probably 3 to 4 rounds a years but this past year is my first serious year at golf. I love the game tremendously and want to improve and I've made leaps and bounds this year. I used to cast the club and have an early wrist hinge, right at take away but thanks to my teacher I've learned to take the club away wide and create lots of lag on my downswing, generating loads of power effortlessly. I'm going to work on keeping my torso from tipping back as I could feel and see the difference at the range when I struck the ball. Thanks.

That is why I put that I've only been playing for a year. My teacher basically told that if I've only played 3 to 4 rounds a year and that this was my first serious year, then technically, I've only really been playing for a year. In this past year, with lessons, loads of practice and many, many rounds of golf, I've gone from an average score of 100 to 85, which is pretty damn good. I plan to break 80 in the following year and hopefully start averaging in the high 70's.

• 9 months later...

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 Years

My current handicap index or average score is: 10

My typical ball flight is: High

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Thin

These are just some videos I took of practice swings in my back yard. I'm currently trying to shorten my backswing.

Videos:

At a further look, I'm "over-hinging" my wrists during my backswing due to the fact that I'm not turning over my left forearm to start the hinging action. I'm just hinging my wrists then holding it.

Normally I start my back swing then about half way through I turn over my left forearm which initiates the hinging action, helping me to properly set my wrists and in turn, shorten my back swing.

• Administrator

At a further look, I'm "over-hinging" my wrists during my backswing due to the fact that I'm not turning over my left forearm to start the hinging action. I'm just hinging my wrists then holding it.

More a case of this:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

More a case of this:

Yep, not much hip or shoulder turn by A3 (left arm parallel to the ground on the backswing).

Mike McLoughlin

I'm going to work on turning my shoulders and hips more by A3 today. Plus, I noticed that flaring each foot out slightly helps with bowing my knees which in turn helps me to make that rotation.

I'll try to get another video uploaded to show my progress (or lack thereof!!). Thanks guys.

I need to start working on shifting my weight during my back and down swing. It's pretty well non-existent.

For now just stick with what @iacas and I suggested ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

For now just stick with what @iacas and I suggested

I just got back from the range and it was a weird day. I was working on what you and mvmac showed me and it was probably the worst day I've ever had when it comes to golf. I was at the end of my rope (2 buckets later) and getting ready to leave when a pro showed up and started hitting balls beside me. Easily the best ball striker I've ever seen.

Well, I decided to ask him if he minded if I asked to watch me swing and to possibly give me a tip ( I know it's not the best thing to do when people are trying to practice but he seemed very nice). He said that I had a great swing but the reason why I'm not hitting the ball well was because of my posture. My head was down way to low, therefore making me bend over too much which was creating all sorts of problems. So, he had me straighten up a bit and to tilt my head slightly so that I was looking at the ball almost with my eyes only (slight head tilt). Once I made this correction it was like night and day. Bam!! Started hitting the ball well again, with more consistency and more distance.

At first he told me that I was moving my lower body too much as well in order to get that hip/shoulder turn during my back swing. He talked about stabilizing your lower body into a "triangle" and just to put pressure on the balls of your right foot during the backswing which will help turn the shoulders first then the hips will follow. So, your advice combined with his was exactly what I needed. The foundation was there, it was some tweaking that had to be done to help my ball striking to be more consistent. Thanks again.

Note: This thread is 3526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!