IGNORED

Wedge Set: 52,58 or 52,55,58

Tee2Trees
Note: This thread is 3802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

These are the things that I dwell on when it is cold and snowing outside in November... Normally I carry the 52, 58 wedge combo and limit myself to 12 or 13 clubs in an effort to keep the bag light and the club selection simple. 58 degree is definitely the top end as a I follow the philosophy of "nothing you can do with a 60 you can't do with a 58" and I have plenty of heel relief on it for the flop shot. 52 is a must-have for me as well because I find it to be perfect for the greenside bump-and-run and it fits nicely with the 47 degree PW in both my iron sets. I hit them about 95 and 65 yds on full shots. Both are reliable from the sand. I'm thinking I should just add a 55 so I can swing full on the 'tweeners rather than gripping down on my 52 or trying to de-loft the 58. But that gives me somewhat ridiculous 3-degree wedge gaps. Has anyone else faced this conundrum in their own experiences?

These are the things that I dwell on when it is cold and snowing outside in November...

Normally I carry the 52, 58 wedge combo and limit myself to 12 or 13 clubs in an effort to keep the bag light and the club selection simple. 58 degree is definitely the top end as a I follow the philosophy of "nothing you can do with a 60 you can't do with a 58" and I have plenty of heel relief on it for the flop shot. 52 is a must-have for me as well because I find it to be perfect for the greenside bump-and-run and it fits nicely with the 47 degree PW in both my iron sets. I hit them about 95 and 65 yds on full shots. Both are reliable from the sand.

I'm thinking I should just add a 55 so I can swing full on the 'tweeners rather than gripping down on my 52 or trying to de-loft the 58. But that gives me somewhat ridiculous 3-degree wedge gaps. Has anyone else faced this conundrum in their own experiences?

What is the loft of your pitching wedge?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What are the shaft lengths of your 52* and 58*? If they're only 1/4" difference in shaft length, a 55* wouldn't give you much distance separation between the two, except on full swings.

If the 52-55-58 aren't all from the same model of wedge, you have added problems of coordinating distance.

Do you hit everything full, or have you worked in quarter and half-swing wedge shots also?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I carry a 45, 50, and 54. If I added a 58, I would have to remove my 18 degree club and I don't want to do that.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Shafts are all the same length, wedge models are all different (Ping M/B gap, Nike SV Tour 58-10, and a Wilson 1200LT "SI" that I'll always keep and try to make use of because it was from my high school bag and happens to be a damn fine club reminiscent of a Vokey with an E-grind).  I prefer to use a full swing whenever possible, not really for the purposes of scoring well but more for the sake of practicing difficulty and maybe impressing myself when it works out.  I guess I answered my own question: carry the Wilson 55 for now, but revisit the topic when I want to spring for a new set of matched wedges.  Thanks for input everybody.

Note: This thread is 3802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!