IGNORED

G10 or G20

dwade247
Note: This thread is 3774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have hit both of these clubs. I liked the G20 better than any other new driver I have tried, which was a lot. However the pga superstore by me has a 10.5* G10 with some japanese R flex shaft for only $40 while a new G20 is $200.

The loft and shaft flex are right for me on the G10 and today I hit them side by side and they were pretty similar. I had probably 5-10 more yards with the G20 but both were fairly straight, actually found myself drawing the G10 a bit and fading the G20 but both were reasonable distances from center.

Since I didn't notice a huge difference hitting them side by side and I know I have some work to do on my swing, which club would you guys recommend? I'm kind of thinking about waiting in the new driver till my swing is better and more consistent so I can get a better fit for whatever G driver I like when I'm ready for a new one. Are old G10s still usable and will they be for a couple more years? Am I missing anything revolutionary that the G20 has that the G10 doesn't?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I have the G20. By far the best driver for me and I tried them all. Not even sure why. I would say go newer with the G20.

If you are working on getting better, then get the driver that you plan to have 2 years from now . I am not saying the G20 is far superior technically, but I also don't believe in all the marketing hype with todays drivers. If you believed every mfg we should all be hitting the ball 500+ yards by now. The G20 was more appealing to me at address and still has the latest so called technology. I also hit the G25 and G15 which I liked but the G20 I was far more consistent.

I'd say G20, it's one model removed from the latest and greatest, the G10 is 3 models removed. Of course, that's if you plan on keeping it a couple of years. I did see a K-15 for $100 on callawaypreowned if that interests you.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I definitely plan on keeping either club, but especially the G20 for as many years as possible. I never buy clubs. This would be the first name brand club I will have ever purchased or owned.

The driver is mighty important, and an extra 5 or 10 yards isn't to be ignored. That said, if you can can pick up the G10 for $40 and it seems to perform pretty well for you, you can pick it up and, hopefully, improve an important part of your game NOW. Then you can still reasonably contemplate getting a better and professionally fitted club once your swing does improve and stabilize somewhat.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Check around, Im sure you can find the G20 for cheaper than that. I was able to find a used one on global Golf in excellent condition for $165. Did you hit the G15???

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Check around, Im sure you can find the G20 for cheaper than that. I was able to find a used one on global Golf in excellent condition for $165. Did you hit the G15???

I was going to say, the G10 and the G20 are completely different clubs. The G15 is somewhere in between them.

If you get the G20, you probably don't need another club for years to come.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What G20 shaft do you guys like better, the tour or other. I am stuck somewhere between a regular flex and a stiff flex in the non-tour shaft so I was kind of thinking the tour regular would be a good fit. I tend to launch the ball quite high and have a swing speed between 95-100.

Would you guys buy a new g20 with a descent fitting for $200 or a used one in "very good" condition from callaywaypreowned that I think would work good for me?

Personally, I would only buy the club after a proper fitting....as in that SPECIFIC club (whatever it is) you have in your hand. Even in identical models you will find differences in shafts and/or feel due to manufacturing tolerances. I wish I could specifically recall the article, but there was a write up to this effect in one of the golf rags. FWIW, I'm still playing the G5 that I've had for years, can't quite bring myself to give it up since I hit it well.

Kind of surprised by all the G20 recommendations. But sounds good, it is a Christmas gift so why not get the new one!

Check out this video:

G20 is easier to hit. Even Mark Crossfield spins the i20 more, I think his SS is 103.

Would you guys buy a new g20 with a descent fitting for $200 or a used one in "very good" condition from callaywaypreowned that I think would work good for me?

New, but on sale. Seems like you should be able to get it for a less than $199? Maybe after Christmas (or the "pre-after" Christmas sales ;-) ).

What G20 shaft do you guys like better, the tour or other. I am stuck somewhere between a regular flex and a stiff flex in the non-tour shaft so I was kind of thinking the tour regular would be a good fit. I tend to launch the ball quite high and have a swing speed between 95-100.

My son just tested out the R1, and needed a regular with a swing speed of about 92. It gave him the best distances, about 253 yards total on the monitor. We might need to wait a bit to buy it cheaper. He might also be swayed to the ping G20.

I hope you enjoy the G20.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

New, but on sale. Seems like you should be able to get it for a less than $199? Maybe after Christmas (or the "pre-after" Christmas sales ).

I don't see it going on sale anytime soon. All the stores say that Ping doesn't do any promotional sales and the G15 is still $180  in the stores that still have it. I think $200 is probably the best I will find until till the G30 or whatever comes out.

But I have watched that video and it definitely made an impact on my decision.

Has anyone been fit at golf galaxy, dicks, or a pga superstore? It's free in these places if you buy the club there. Or does anyone have other suggestions?

I don't see it going on sale anytime soon. All the stores say that Ping doesn't do any promotional sales and the G15 is still $180  in the stores that still have it. I think $200 is probably the best I will find until till the G30 or whatever comes out. But I have watched that video and it definitely made an impact on my decision. Has anyone been fit at golf galaxy, dicks, or a pga superstore? It's free in these places if you buy the club there. Or does anyone have other suggestions?

I think you should give the G15 a try. My buddy has it and it feels really good. I also like the fact that you get a lot of feedback on off center hits. If you can get your numbers (swing speed, launch angle, spin rate ect...) you can do some research and narrow down the right shaft for you. I got mine based on price some what but it was a nice improvement over the stock shaft.

Note: This thread is 3774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!