IGNORED

Anyone else find it easier to hit blades?

dwade247
Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I find it easier to hit blades straighter than larger irons, but consistency is better with a more forgiving club head.

Hey guys,

I must have missed a lot of these responses when they were first posted somehow. I'm glad to see that people have posted their opinions and no rude comments have been posted. I actually have some personal experience to add to this thread now.

After a long cold winter in Chicago, I could not resist the temptation to buy a new to me set of irons. And while battling with the blades vs GI clubs I ran across an excellent set of Titleist 690.mnb blades for a $110 so I couldn't pass them up. And so I have been gaming them for the past few weeks and probably have about 5-6 rounds in with them. And here is my experience with them compared to my old GI clubs....not much difference. haha. But seriously my scores have dropped some, shot my lowest score ever for 9 holes with a 43 yesterday, and all my other scores have been just a few strokes better than with my GI clubs. But my swing is much better this season and my putting has improved tremendously, so I don't think the irons are the reason for my lower scores but I also don't think they are hurting me.

However this experience has led me to believe that a player's cb set would be the best set for me. Such sets I'm thinking would be AP2s, MP52,53,54, etc. I really feel better at address with a club that has a smaller head, thinner sole, and not too much offset but I definitely have the feeling that a little bit of help on mishits would be beneficial.

I found it's easier for me (High HC) to hit blades as well. I usually play TM Burner 2.0 irons but I have some of my dad's old Wilson Blu Ridge irons that I can hit more consistently, but get less distance
Titleist 910D2 Titleist 910F 19* Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW Top Flite Tour Wedge 56* Cleveland Smart Square Putter

I wish I had never given away my 1973 Hogan Apex blades.   I had a touring pro friend teach me how to swing properly and I switched to Callaway Razr.   I had to augment the new swing.  Blades would be awesome again.

I learned on blades back in the day.  I should have kept them.  I'm paying for it now.

I'm not sure if my new Callaway Apex Pro irons are considered a blade or not (not much sole on these babies) but I feel my shots are much crisper. It's been a tough first couple rounds but I know I made the right choice upgrading from my i20's In the long run....I can't stand a thick top line or offset on irons but that's just me.

I wish I had never given away my 1973 Hogan Apex blades.   I had a touring pro friend teach me how to swing properly and I switched to Callaway Razr.   I had to augment the new swing.  Blades would be awesome again.   I learned on blades back in the day.  I should have kept them.  I'm paying for it now.

You can probably find old apex blades fairly easily for a good price.

You can probably find old apex blades fairly easily for a good price.

I actually saw a set of Hogan Apex blade/cb combo set for around 100 bucks at Golfsmith once

First post on this site, but have been an avid reader for a long time and couldn't resist this thread. I am a Scot living in Germany and a pretty lousy but very enthusiastic golfer. I recently picked up a set of Titleist MB 690's on (German!) ebay and absolutely love them. Addressing the ball is pure pleasure (they don't look at all like frying pans) and when you do get a clean hit, you hardly hear a sound and the ball flies straight and true.

I guess that's the way I play golf: I hate "course management" - I don't denigrate it though and have huge respect for those who play sensibly and get their scores and handicaps down, but it's just not for me. I always go for the perfect line, no matter how risky, and thrive on those few times when it does come off. If I am going to get better (which I sincerely hope!), I want it to be by getting a higher percentage of these shots and reducing inconsistency, but for the moment, those 2-3 great shots per round are soul sustenance enough!

I think this is why I prefer blades (I also have 2 sets of old Maxfli blades, which play as sweet as sugar, but are not as satisfying as the Titleists). There's something elemental about playing with them, like taking a walk in unspoiled nature.

Please don't ridicule my attitude: I know my handicap disqualifies me from being a "serious" golfer, but I reckon I derive as much pleasure from the game as anyone, and I am always looking to learn from those who play the game better than I do..

First post on this site, but have been an avid reader for a long time and couldn't resist this thread. I am a Scot living in Germany and a pretty lousy but very enthusiastic golfer. I recently picked up a set of Titleist MB 690's on (German!) ebay and absolutely love them. Addressing the ball is pure pleasure (they don't look at all like frying pans) and when you do get a clean hit, you hardly hear a sound and the ball flies straight and true. I guess that's the way I play golf: I hate "course management" - I don't denigrate it though and have huge respect for those who play sensibly and get their scores and handicaps down, but it's just not for me. I always go for the perfect line, no matter how risky, and thrive on those few times when it does come off. If I am going to get better (which I sincerely hope!), I want it to be by getting a higher percentage of these shots and reducing inconsistency, but for the moment, those 2-3 great shots per round are soul sustenance enough! I think this is why I prefer blades (I also have 2 sets of old Maxfli blades, which play as sweet as sugar, but are not as satisfying as the Titleists). There's something elemental about playing with them, like taking a walk in unspoiled nature. Please don't ridicule my attitude: I know my handicap disqualifies me from being a "serious" golfer, but I reckon I derive as much pleasure from the game as anyone, and I am always looking to learn from those who play the game better than I do..

Welcome to the site!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't say I really find them "easier" to hit, but I do enjoy playing with blades. When I am just playing for enjoyment, I often play with blades and even persimmon. I liken it to someone who hunts deer with a muzzleloader or archery equipment rather than or in addition to a modern rifle and scope. If I am playing in a team scramble or something of the sort where others are somewhat depending on my performance, I will relent and use more modern stuff including Volkswagons on a stick and hybrids, but if it is just me, I often play with my Wilson Staffs and Joe Powell persimmon. On a familiar track, my score is not much different.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Im in my mid 40's and have been playing for about 5 years.  Ive played blades from the beginning and forged ones are my preference.  I don't pretend to know everything but I do know that I love a pured shot with mine.  Ive played many sets form the vintage Wilson Staffs and FG17s to my new favorite although somewhat modern Mizuno MP 37s.  Im playing better and consistently score in the mid to low 80s now.  Its all a matter  of preference in my opinion.  Forged blades just look like real golf clubs to me.

I think it depends on what makes you the most confident when you look at the club and when you are swinging it ... There is not right or wrong on this one ... Get the face square and you are in business!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

• 10 months later...
I went to the golf store on two different occasions this week and demoed some clubs. I found that I hit the blades better than the GI clubs, which surprised me. I'm thinking about picking up an old set on eBay and messing around with it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I went to the golf store on two different occasions this week and demoed some clubs. I found that I hit the blades better than the GI clubs, which surprised me. I'm thinking about picking up an old set on eBay and messing around with it.

Which ones?? :)

If your miss is off the heel side blades versus cavity back makes no real difference. It could be argued that a GI club would allow you to hit more toe side shots and avoid shanks, but as my son put it to me last night "You want to hit the club well, why learn to mishit it?". He's even using Cleveland CG Tour blades .

My Mizuno blades are much more forgiving than his clubs, and the new Apex MB from Callaway seems to be about the same as my MP-32.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If your miss is off the heel side blades versus cavity back makes no real difference. It could be argued that a GI club would allow you to hit more toe side shots and avoid shanks, but as my son put it to me last night "You want to hit the club well, why learn to mishit it?"

That's the wrong way to look at it.  You're not building a swing AROUND your clubs.  You are building a swing, and then using the clubs that help you to score better.  Having an iron that helps me out when I screw up and toe one doesn't teach me to keep doing that.  Nor does it prevent me from continuing to try and get better and stop doing that.  All it does is give better results when I do do that.

Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!