IGNORED

Anyone else find it easier to hit blades?

dwade247
Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went to the golf store on two different occasions this week and demoed some clubs. I found that I hit the blades better than the GI clubs, which surprised me. I'm thinking about picking up an old set on eBay and messing around with it.

I did just that last year.  Picked up a used set of 712 MB's off ebay last winter and used them exclusively during 2014.  My gross score average for the 21 rounds I played with them was a full two strokes lower than the previous year.  Because of the clubs?  No, I don't think so because my index barely moved which tells me my low scores stayed pretty much the same, just got rid of some of the big numbers that had been creeping into my game.  I did shoot a 38 on one of my nines though which was the first time I've broke 40 in several years.

Hope you like the ones you bought, Hogans were great clubs back then.  I think you'll find they don't really help your game but won't hurt it either.

Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

Cool, I wish I could find a left handed Hogan Apex. . .One indication of how hard they are to hit is how cheap you got them!

I think you will enjoy them more than you think, though. Vintage is cool, and I look forward to seeing you use them next time we meet for a round!

Agree, I like using vintage equipment if I can. I used to take 35 year old archery equipment to the Archery Nationals. The stuff was made very well back then, and they look good to boot. . .

They are pretty easy to find on Ebay, just check regularly.  I'm a lefty and collect Hogan irons.  I have about 12 sets of his from over the years.  The oldest set I have is from 1968, the Plus One and the newest is the 1999 Apex Plus.

I am now the proud new owner of a set of Ben Hogan Apex II's, the '83 Black Cameos. They'll get this whole "I hit blades better" idea out of my head quickly...

Actually, they were fairly cheap, and I kind of like the idea of owning a vintage set of irons, so even if I can't hit them out of my shadow, I'm happy with the purchase.

The Black Cameos were actually from 1979.  If you're interested in Hogan irons, here's a good link I've been using to work on my collection. http://web.archive.org/web/20011206100727/www.benhogan.com/53-99_Clubs.html

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They are pretty easy to find on Ebay, just check regularly.  I'm a lefty and collect Hogan irons.  I have about 12 sets of his from over the years.  The oldest set I have is from 1968, the Plus One and the newest is the 1999 Apex Plus. The Black Cameos were actually from 1979.  If you're interested in Hogan irons, here's a good link I've been using to work on my collection.  [URL=http://web.archive.org/web/20011206100727/www.benhogan.com/53-99_Clubs.html]http://web.archive.org/web/20011206100727/www.benhogan.com/53-99_Clubs.html[/URL]

12 sets! At least I know where they all went. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

12 sets! At least I know where they all went.

Lol, each set is different so there are still plenty for you.

Joe Paradiso

12 sets! At least I know where they all went. ;-)

[quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/71299/anyone-else-find-it-easier-to-hit-blades/60#post_1118360"]Lol, each set is different so there are still plenty for you. [/quote]Ha!! Newtogolf is a hoarder (of golf clubs)!!!!!

I did just that last year.  Picked up a used set of 712 MB's off ebay last winter and used them exclusively during 2014.  My gross score average for the 21 rounds I played with them was a full two strokes lower than the previous year.  Because of the clubs?  No, I don't think so because my index barely moved which tells me my low scores stayed pretty much the same, just got rid of some of the big numbers that had been creeping into my game.  I did shoot a 38 on one of my nines though which was the first time I've broke 40 in several years. Hope you like the ones you bought, Hogans were great clubs back then.  I think you'll find they don't really help your game but won't hurt it either.

Thanks for the input. I'm not expecting to play these clubs a lot and I'm definitely not expecting them to improve my game, but it will be fun (hopefully). [quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/71299/anyone-else-find-it-easier-to-hit-blades/60#post_1118354"]The Black Cameos were actually from 1979.  If you're interested in Hogan irons, here's a good link I've been using to work on my collection.  [URL=http://web.archive.org/web/20011206100727/www.benhogan.com/53-99_Clubs.html]http://web.archive.org/web/20011206100727/www.benhogan.com/53-99_Clubs.html[/URL] [/quote]Good to know, thanks. I looked them up earlier and I read that the white cameos were from the '70s and the black cameos were a remake from '83, so that was what I was going by.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I am now the proud new owner of a set of Ben Hogan Apex II's, the '83 Black Cameos. They'll get this whole "I hit blades better" idea out of my head quickly...

Actually, they were fairly cheap, and I kind of like the idea of owning a vintage set of irons, so even if I can't hit them out of my shadow, I'm happy with the purchase.

They came in yesterday. Took them out to the range almost immediately. They weren't that hard to hit at all, and provide good feedback. Mis-hits were actually closer to my target line than with my Pings, oddly enough. They're a whole club shorter across the board, but I have 3-E on the Hogans and 4-UW (gap wedge) on the Pings, so I can make a one for one switch through the whole bag. I took them out for 9 holes today and I don't think I lose anything with them, at all. Kept forgetting to club up, though.

They came with what I think are the original shafts and some old, cracked, leather wraps. I'll change those to PURE grips before I play again.

I'll add some pictures later.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

They came in yesterday. Took them out to the range almost immediately. They weren't that hard to hit at all, and provide good feedback. Mis-hits were actually closer to my target line than with my Pings, oddly enough. They're a whole club shorter across the board, but I have 3-E on the Hogans and 4-UW (gap wedge) on the Pings, so I can make a one for one switch through the whole bag. I took them out for 9 holes today and I don't think I lose anything with them, at all. Kept forgetting to club up, though.

They came with what I think are the original shafts and some old, cracked, leather wraps. I'll change those to PURE grips before I play again.

I'll add some pictures later.

Cool.

The way it was explained to me is that blades like to be hit heel side a little more than the center, and since your miss is heel side I suppose this should not be too surprising?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I tried some MP4 irons and while I absolutely loved the short irons I found the 5i and 4i hard to get proper loft. My swing is far from perfect, especially with longer clubs. However, with the short irons, I found I'm much more accurate. Maybe it's the fact that I don't want to get a stinging sensation in my hands, but I focus much more on a centered strike with less forgiving irons which has made me close the club face more consistently and get much better results. I never tried to take a divot after the ball with SGI irons because even fat hits weren't punished hardly at all. I know realistically that I'll never be scratch, but I do like to improve and the sting of mishits has forced me to correct some things in my swing. Fear is a hell of a motivator. LOL

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

I was given a set of nearly new Titleist 695MB's for when my golf "gets better". I love the look of blades but cant hit them for toffee at the moment. I may take a couple to the range now that im making consisten contact, however i think  a lot of the challenge playing blades is mental (providing you can make good contact that is).

I have to admint i kinda like the saftey net that the extra forgivness of GI or SGI irons gives.

I hate theads like this 'cos now all i want to do is go out and hit the 695's :cry:

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I was given a set of nearly new Titleist 695MB's for when my golf "gets better". I love the look of blades but cant hit them for toffee at the moment. I may take a couple to the range now that im making consisten contact, however i think  a lot of the challenge playing blades is mental (providing you can make good contact that is). I have to admint i kinda like the saftey net that the extra forgivness of GI or SGI irons gives.  I hate theads like this 'cos now all i want to do is go out and hit the 695's :cry:

On the other hand, if you treat it like those are the only clubs you are allowed to use, maybe that could force you to improve your swing? That is, if you don't mind higher scores in the interim.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On the other hand, if you treat it like those are the only clubs you are allowed to use, maybe that could force you to improve your swing? That is, if you don't mind higher scores in the interim.

Thats a fair point, but always the chance of "wussing out". I may take 1 or 2 when i next play my local par 3 and have a crack with them to get a feel before i take the plunge

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Agreed. I recently switched from GI to MP H4 and while they're no where near a true blade, they have improved my striking. My first 2 games with them were +30ish (normally shoot +15ish) but now that I've gotten used to them I've started to get that sexy worn sweet spot look and my mishits aren't nearly as bad. Now a mishit goes 15yd short but is still straight and usually plenty high. My mishits tend to be fat rather than thin and I've gotten away from my toe mishits, except on my 3 Iron. Man that thing is a challenge for me.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

I'm the OP and I have switched to blades. I originally started this thread way back when I was just started to get a golf addiction. When I made that original post it was good if I broke 100.

Now I shoot around 90....and I play blades.

Last season I played Titleist 690.mb irons. Dropped 10 strokes with blades. Now I'm not saying it was because of the blades because I practice a LOT more and played a LOT more. I did almost everything on the course better. But the point is the blades didn't hurt me!

This season I'm playing Mizuno MP-37s.

I find blades don't hurt my game to any noticeable extent. And nobody is paying me to shoot a 40 instead of a 43 so if they really do cost me 3 strokes (which I doubt they do) then I'm ok with that cause I enjoy playing blades.

Anyway I find that blades usually go straighter when mishit, but just not as far. However I find GI irons cause the ball to slice and hook more when mishit. I would rather be straight and short.

Anyway I find that blades usually go straighter when mishit, but just not as far. However I find GI irons cause the ball to slice and hook more when mishit. I would rather be straight and short.

How does the design of the iron make the shots curve more or less?

We went through an exercise with @billchao in understanding why some people don't benefit from GI technology. He tends to miss on the heel and not off the toe. That's also my miss, and I presume @dwade247 as well. I wonder if this is the common factor in people who find blades just as easy to hit? Probably should take the Ping I20s out for a spin one of these days, to see if it makes a difference? I'm pretty sure it will launch higher. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

[quote name="dwade247" url="/t/71299/anyone-else-find-it-easier-to-hit-blades/60#post_1121234"]Anyway I find that blades usually go straighter when mishit, but just not as far. However I find GI irons cause the ball to slice and hook more when mishit. I would rather be straight and short.

How does the design of the iron make the shots curve more or less?[/quote] There is less weight around the perimeter of the head with which to impart force unto the ball. Therefore blade design fails to be as strong as the GI/perimeter weighted design when mis-hitting around the perimeter. Less weight behind the ball equals shorter distance or usually a slicing toe shot. As an added bonus, the force of the mis-hit ball then less offset by the weight of metal, allows more head movement, the violence of which convienently rattles the club to give stronger feedback and can even make your hands hurt.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

There is less weight around the perimeter of the head with which to impart force unto the ball. Therefore blade design fails to be as strong as the GI/perimeter weighted design when mis-hitting around the perimeter. Less weight behind the ball equals shorter distance or usually a slicing toe shot. As an added bonus, the force of the mis-hit ball then less offset by the weight of metal, allows more head movement, the violence of which convienently rattles the club to give stronger feedback and can even make your hands hurt.

Sorry, im a little confused here. So basically a miss hit on a blade will generally go straightish but short and with a GI or SGI you would get decent distcance but more curve?

I took the 8 iron from my Titleist 695MB's to the range on sunday and hit it for the 1st time and i was suprised. I was hitting straight and it felt nice but it was a bit shorter than the Wilsin Staff Di9s i used (obviouslt stronger lofts). It felt softer as well and being half an inch or so shorter seemed to fit me better.

I am now left with a dilemma. Stay with the Di9's or swith to the 695's and take the hit on scores. Also has the added expense of having to get a PW as set is 4-9 irons

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!