IGNORED

Grip, stance and ball position is 80% and swing 20% ? Is this correct ?

Note: This thread is 3795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Folks,

I am going to take a lesson from this instructor tomorrow and will write here how it goes.

Meanwhile, I again read Ben Hogan's Five Lessons book yesterday and made some changes in my grip on the course today because I felt I was not gripping the club correctly after reading the book. And I noticed that with the change in my grip, I was hitting a higher % of balls decently. Now I am not sure if it was the result of changing my grip or if everything just fell in place today with my swing. :doh:

Thanks.

Folks,

I am going to take a lesson from this instructor tomorrow and will write here how it goes.

Meanwhile, I again read Ben Hogan's Five Lessons book yesterday and made some changes in my grip on the course today because I felt I was not gripping the club correctly after reading the book. And I noticed that with the change in my grip, I was hitting a higher % of balls decently. Now I am not sure if it was the result of changing my grip or if everything just fell in place today with my swing.

Thanks.

If that grip change works for you, then do it. On a side note, just because it is Ben Hogan's book doesn't make it wrong or right. Ben Hogan did what was for Ben Hogan, no one else. I say, just grip the club somewhere between neutral and strong, and then work on getting a better swing. If your finding that the grip needs tweaking, do it after you get a good swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with iacas, but while there is some truth to the statement, sometimes I think there's an ostensible meaning to it.  The undertone is or it's code for you're complicating things. It seems to oversimplify things and make it seem like you're one step away from mastering the golf swing.

And the statement always seems to come out in swing discussions. There's always one guy who says, all you need to do is get GSP (grip/stance/posture) right and you can't go wrong from there. It's the Godwin's law of golf boards. Somewhere, the GSP post always comes up along with all the old cliches - all you need to do is read The Five Fundamentals, find an old time coach and he'll have you all good instantly, blah blah blah, get off my lawn.

If I could buy a device that blocks all those old cr@p cliches, I'd get it in a second.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Folks,

Meanwhile, I again read Ben Hogan's Five Lessons book yesterday and made some changes in my grip on the course today because I felt I was not gripping the club correctly after reading the book. And I noticed that with the change in my grip, I was hitting a higher % of balls decently. Now I am not sure if it was the result of changing my grip or if everything just fell in place today with my swing.

Thanks.

Yeah be careful with the Hogan grip, I tend to think it's too weak right the right hand (too much on top) and I disagree with the short left thumb.  It's good for some pieces, like where the grip lies in your left hand and showing how it's in the fingers of the right hand.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!