IGNORED

Too big to be a PGA pro

Kelzzy
Note: This thread is 3786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I work for 4 hours everday, and 10+ hours each day on the weekends. But I've been getting some critism for my size I'm 6 feet, 170. I'm not anything close to fat, I'm just built with a lot of muscle from all my years in baseball. Being 14, people say I'll get too big. Every time they say this, I just tell them look up Ernie Els or Dustin Johnson. Biggers better... In golf too?

But don't the people who criticize you know that you have a swing just like Tiger Woods? That should keep them quiet.

Just wondering, though. How does baseball build muscles in a 14 year old?  I played through semi-pro level and it never seemed to add much muscle mass.  Maybe I used too light of a bat. :-)

Lol, you still remember that? Yeah, my swing is sexy.

I swung a drop 3.. regulations say you have to by high school. I was swinging it at 8th grade.. i also work out at the gym.. but I usually swing over 120 times a day too.. all adds up. Maybe the reason you didn't make it past the minors was because you didn't have much muscle, yeah?

*cue "I work out" music*

Anyway, it wasn't even the main topic. I expected some real answers.. but then again, this is the Sand Trap..

Anyway, it wasn't even the main topic. I expected some real answers.. but then again, this is the Sand Trap..

For your real answer, the answer is that size isn't an issue.

The only issues I could forsee would be an ego or work ethic getting in the way, but I don't know you personally so I couldn't say. It also takes tremendous focus to put enough pressure on yourself in a practice situation to make sure that competition at that high a level doesn't get to you. There's a whole other level of pressure when your job, house, and future are dependent upon you making the cut and getting a check. If you can't make yourself focus to the point where you aren't distracted by a tornado siren in your backswing then I feel it's unlikely that you (or anyone else for that matter) could make it onto the tour.

However this is just my personal opinion, and you can take it for what you will.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lol, you still remember that? Yeah, my swing is sexy.

I swung a drop 3.. regulations say you have to by high school. I was swinging it at 8th grade.. i also work out at the gym.. but I usually swing over 120 times a day too.. all adds up. Maybe the reason you didn't make it past the minors was because you didn't have much muscle, yeah?

*cue "I work out" music*

Anyway, it wasn't even the main topic. I expected some real answers.. but then again, this is the Sand Trap..

"Real answer": I wouldn't worry about being "too big" as long as you always work on your flexibility.

Fun answer: I wouldn't worry about swinging a baseball bat giving me too much muscle. I had a pitching machine and batting cage in my yard for 30 years and usually hit around 400 to 500 balls a day (just for fun) and most of my muscle came from work and weight lifting...Not from hitting baseballs. :-D

For your real answer, the answer is that size isn't an issue.

The only issues I could forsee would be an ego or work ethic getting in the way, but I don't know you personally so I couldn't say. It also takes tremendous focus to put enough pressure on yourself in a practice situation to make sure that competition at that high a level doesn't get to you. There's a whole other level of pressure when your job, house, and future are dependent upon you making the cut and getting a check. If you can't make yourself focus to the point where you aren't distracted by a tornado siren in your backswing then I feel it's unlikely that you (or anyone else for that matter) could make it onto the tour.

However this is just my personal opinion, and you can take it for what you will.

I agree with all of this. My friend, who I practice with sometimes, is number one in Cali and we work on distracting eachother. Making really weird ass sounds in our back swings, putting strokes, etc.. Good work

Thanks for the answer. Really appreciated

Edit: btw i'm not like this irl, I just like to mess with people on the internetz.

Edit: btw i'm not like this irl, I just like to mess with people on the internetz.

Then I can assure you that they will "like to mess with you back on the internetz", but likely on a more grandiose scale.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't listen to them you're right, your size is an advantage. Phil and Ernie are like 6'4 and there are taller players than them. A big arc is a good thing. As long as your short-game is solid you'll always have a long game to match.

Don't listen to them you're right, your size is an advantage. Phil and Ernie are like 6'4 and there are taller players than them. A big arc is a good thing. As long as your short-game is solid you'll always have a long game to match.

Awesome! Thanks for the encouragement. My short game is basically the center of my game.. I practice putting and chipping for around 3 hours a day, just like Tiger said, he practices from the green to the fairway... something like that!

Note: This thread is 3786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!