IGNORED

A month to shoot 70's

Kelzzy
Note: This thread is 3754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

where do you live at? i have to commend you on your dedication.

(see how i ended a sentence with a preposition?)

Thanks!

Day 6

Wooooo, what a day! I was at the course around 10:30-ish in the morning, and just got back. By the time 5:30 rolled, the greens were so icy and slippery, I slipped twice walking down the hill. Hahaha, luckily nobody was around to see it.

I had a full day of work today, and it paid of on the course. I hit about 2-3 buckets on the range, chipped a good amount, and practice my putting a large sum of the day. At 2pm, I decided to go an play some holes. However, I was a wee-bit worried about the outcome as I couldn't seem to get my driver to hit the ball straight.

I went up to the clubhouse to get a tee time, and saw that they had the tournament on. The cameras were on Zach Johnson, and he was teeing off. I watched his swing, noticing his hips firing more than anything else. I though "Hm, I wonder if that will work for me." Needless to say, when I went out before my tee off to warm up, it worked like a charm. I was hitting straight shots with ease.

The first tee shot I hit was shocking, a bullet straight down the pipe of the fairway, climbing over the trees I aimed to go over for. With a crappy approach shot, which left me with about 20 feet of green the pin.. I ended up three putting for bogey.

It would be my last three putt of the day. Although I did bogey the second, I got myself under control and nerves down, and was able to go on a par streak until the 7th hole, where I bogeyed again by a two putt. The chip killed me, but the approach shot from 160 yards is what really hurt me the most.

The highlight of the day came on the 15th hole. I cut over from the 8th to the 15th, and teed off. Knocking it in the trees, the ball laid over 240 yards from the pin. It was all or nothing. At this point, I was +3 and didn't want to take anymore strokes. I went for it, turning my hips and shoulders as much as I could, and fired at the ball. The results? Shocking to even me.

This is the shot I ended up with:

Believe it or not, there it was when I walked up to the green. However, sadly I two putted for just a par. My putting wasn't on like I wanted it to be today, but a good amount of 1 putts saved me from bogeying, and even doubling.

From there, it was a smooth ride in from to the 18th. The 18th, things were intense after hitting my drive, as to my surprise 30+ people were on the balcony for a big "christmas" party, even though it's not Christmas yet. Anyway, as I walked up to my shot, I was about 147 or so out, pulling out my 8-iron. Usually, this would call for a 9-iron, but with the cold wind brushing up against me, I decided to use a good extra club.

It paid off, as I dropped the ball about 7 feet or so away from the pin. Nearly everyone on the balcony said something aloud, or threw there hands up. Although I was trying to keep focus the entire round, I couldn't help but smile.

Things ended with a par, because I missed that putt.. embarrassing in front of so many people, but it was a great round nonetheless.

Although I finished on the 18th, I didn't play a full round as I cut over from the 8th. It was a total of 12 holes, and I put up a +4. Honestly, I was not expecting to do this, not even with all the confidence. I was expecting to play somewhat of bogey golf, but I played great today. I'll be playing 18-full holes tomorrow, hopefully I can pull off what I did today.

Just curious why do you have to be able to shoot 70's consistently by the end of the month?

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Just curious why do you have to be able to shoot 70's consistently by the end of the month?

Because my friend, who's easily going to make the golf team, told me if you want to make the team, you have to be able to shoot in the 70's consistently.

Because my friend, who's easily going to make the golf team, told me if you want to make the team, you have to be able to shoot in the 70's consistently.

I don't know about that, I have seen results for north coast and from what I have seen is other than top teams like DeLaSalle and foothill everyone else will have at least 2 or 3 players shooting low to mid 80's, they usually have 1 or 2 kids who can hover around par and then 1 that occasionally breaks 80 and then the last 3 that shoot low to high 80's. Pleasant Valley was there a few years back.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

I don't know about that, I have seen results for north coast and from what I have seen is other than top teams like DeLaSalle and foothill everyone else will have at least 2 or 3 players shooting low to mid 80's, they usually have 1 or 2 kids who can hover around par and then 1 that occasionally breaks 80 and then the last 3 that shoot low to high 80's. Pleasant Valley was there a few years back.

How'd you know I went to Pv?

How'd you know I went to Pv?

I just guessed since you live in chico

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Quote:

Originally Posted by flopster

This is true. For varsity, you really need to be in the sub-75 range. My son's friend is also concerned about making varsity, and he's already shooting sub 75s.

However, JV is not all that bad, plus I think golf team organizations are pretty loose. So, if you play JV and suddenly start doing better, the coach will probably put you in key events.

Don't stress too much. HS is already challenging enough.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is true. For varsity, you really need to be in the sub-75 range. My son's friend is also concerned about making varsity, and he's already shooting sub 75s.

However, JV is not all that bad, plus I think golf team organizations are pretty loose. So, if you play JV and suddenly start doing better, the coach will probably put you in key events.

Don't stress too much. HS is already challenging enough.

There's only one team. Varsity and JV are combined as one.

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/71371/a-month-to-shoot-70s/54#post_927497"]   This is true. For varsity, you really need to be in the sub-75 range. My son's friend is also concerned about making varsity, and he's already shooting sub 75s. However, JV is not all that bad, plus I think golf team organizations are pretty loose. So, if you play JV and suddenly start doing better, the coach will probably put you in key events. Don't stress too much. HS is already challenging enough. [/QUOTE] There's only one team. Varsity and JV are combined as one.

How many slots are there on the team? Is there a specific cut you need to make?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

How many are trying out? They usually 6 for matches so they throw away 1 score.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

How many are trying out? They usually 6 for matches so they throw away 1 score.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

How many slots are there on the team? Is there a specific cut you need to make?

No idea. I'm just going off of what my friend said.

Day 7

I practied good, but when I went out with my parents I played like crap. I couldn't control my nerves, but I know what I need to do.. it's commit. Just a line for the entry today, let's see what happens tomorrow .

[QUOTE name="flopster" url="/t/71371/a-month-to-shoot-70s/54#post_927516"]   How many are trying out? They usually 6 for matches so they throw away 1 score. [/QUOTE] [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/71371/a-month-to-shoot-70s/54#post_927514"] How many slots are there on the team? Is there a specific cut you need to make?[/QUOTE] No idea. I'm just going off of what my friend said. Day 7 I practied good, but when I went out with my parents I played like crap. I couldn't control my nerves, but I know what I need to do.. it's commit. Just a line for the entry today, let's see what happens tomorrow .

When you go with your parents, play for fun. Tell yourself all the time that you don't need to prove yourself to them. If there is too much at stake it will be really hard to play under pressure, until you get more solid. Keep practicing...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I can't wait to see Kelzzy in the 2024 US Open.

Well first he has to get on his high school team and then we'll see.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Note: This thread is 3754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!