IGNORED

R11 adjustment

Note: This thread is 3784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all, I decided that I would adjust my driver to one degree closed and to move the 10g weight to the heel of the club.. My question is there anyone that can explain to me what actually happens when I do that? I mean the real reason I'm asking is because when I look at it it just doesn't look to me like anything happens? So maybe it's just a mental trick they are playing to make people think that hey, your club is more closed now... Would love to hear an explanation and a way to test the results to see the difference! Thanks

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Moving the weight more towards the heel shifts the center of gravity of the club more towards the heel, so it's more "draw" bias.

Setting it more closed aligns the face more to the left, but for the R11 it only works if you sole your driver.  It doesn't change the orientation of the club, so that's why it doesn't look any different.  Set it on the ground and you'll see the face points more left then the standard or open settings.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Moving the weight more towards the heel shifts the center of gravity of the club more towards the heel, so it's more "draw" bias. Setting it more closed aligns the face more to the left, but for the R11 it only works if you sole your driver.  It doesn't change the orientation of the club, so that's why it doesn't look any different.  Set it on the ground and you'll see the face points more left then the standard or open settings.

By more draw basis you mean it promotes an inside out path? Not sure if I understand the technical part of that but I'll take your word for it! I do notice that when I set the club on the ground it does look like it is aiming more left. I want to put this in context and maybe you can clear it up for me... When I swing freely without worrying about anything i will usually hit a push that probably travels about 30 degrees from where I am aiming. If I keep it closed for this 1 degree, plus the fact that I increased loft by 1 degree to 10.5 does that mean theoretically the ball should go straight now as I just helped cheat by giving my self an extra 3 degrees of closed i.e. square face at impact instead of open? :) did what i just make sense or am I way off on my theoretical stuff?

Eyad

By more draw basis you mean it promotes an inside out path? Not sure if I understand the technical part of that but I'll take your word for it!

No doesn't change the path, it helps tilt the spin axis more to the left because of gear effect. The golf ball spins on an axis.  If the ball’s axis is spinning towards the left the ball will curve left . If the axis is spinning towards the right the ball will curve right.

If you shift the CoG of the club towards the heel, a center hit is effectively like a slight toe hit.  This doesn't mean that it will automatically make the ball draw.  If the golfer swings 7* left (on a center face hit) shot may curve less to the right but probably won't draw.

I do notice that when I set the club on the ground it does look like it is aiming more left. I want to put this in context and maybe you can clear it up for me... When I swing freely without worrying about anything i will usually hit a push that probably travels about 30 degrees from where I am aiming. If I keep it closed for this 1 degree, plus the fact that I increased loft by 1 degree to 10.5 does that mean theoretically the ball should go straight now as I just helped cheat by giving my self an extra 3 degrees of closed i.e. square face at impact instead of open?

Yes, ball should start straighter.

Mike McLoughlin

No doesn't change the path, it helps tilt the spin axis more to the left because of gear effect.  [COLOR=333333]The golf ball spins on an axis.  If the ball’s axis is spinning towards the left the ball will curve left . If the axis is spinning towards the right the ball will curve right. [/COLOR]   If you shift the CoG of the club towards the heel, a center hit is effectively like a slight toe hit.  This doesn't mean that it will automatically make the ball draw.  If the golfer swings 7* left (on a center face hit) shot may curve less to the right but probably won't draw. Yes, ball should start straighter.

Thank you.. I learned something new about the spin axis.. Also, I will report back on ball flight and see if theory was correct for my particular situation or not.. Thanks again

Eyad

I was on ebay and was looking at the taylormade rbz stage 2 driver and the r11. Is there a big change in distance and adjustability between the clubs? I want a driver where i can be able to change lots as well as adjusting the club to fit my golf swing and golf play

I have the R11 and I didn't notice a difference when I hit the R11S. I know the S has more adjustment setting(I think it has 5 instead of 3) but as far as feel I didn't notice a difference. The S sounds a little different but I didn't see a difference in ball flight. The shaft is different as well the R11 has the Fujika BLUR 65 and I think the R11S has the Aldila RIP Phenom I think.

So which shaft is better and more foregiving? I was thinking of just getting a club head and mounting it to my Diamana shaft that im pretty acustom to. But then again im thinking of going from a regular flex shaft to a stiffer shaft since i have upped my swing speed

So which shaft is better and more foregiving? I was thinking of just getting a club head and mounting it to my Diamana shaft that im pretty acustom to. But then again im thinking of going from a regular flex shaft to a stiffer shaft since i have upped my swing speed

There isn't one shaft that is better or more forgiving, it depends how it fits the player with that clubhead.  R11 and R11s are pretty similar.  Just gotta go into a store, hit both and see what works best for you.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!