IGNORED

what forms of golf etiquette do you ignore and why?

tqcishark
Note: This thread is 3377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@inthehole - i wish more people would do this.  it really doesnt matter who is "away", and i dont view it as a breach of etiquette in the least.  if i am ahead of you and i look back and youre dicking around, not ready to hit, then im hitting and im going to start walking, one eye ahead and one eye behind.

+1

If my partners are turtles I will put the pressure on with no mercy. I'll walk up to tee the ball immediately with no regard to "honours", blast it and walk on. Absolutely hate it when people dick around and kill our pace. Yappin' away at the tee box instead of hitting, yukking it up beside the green while the group behind you just stares at you with death-beams....c'mon ****ers, let's GO!

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I generally pee when and where necessary.

That's why I hate Links courses, no trees.  No conducive to the "old mans disease" as fourputt called it.  But I just hold it until a proper facility is available.

Butch

Come on, let's at least be reasonable.  I'm 68 years old and I have the usual "old man's disease", yet I can hold it until I find a proper facility, and most courses have either a rest room or port-a-john strategically placed, usually at least once on each side, as well as the clubhouse at the turn.  I rarely have to pee more than once in the 4 to 5 hours that it takes to play a round of golf, so it can always be taken care of appropriately for a public setting.  I will qualify that by saying that I rarely drink beer while playing, but I do drink from 20 to 40 or more ounces of water, depending on weather.

There was an earlier thread about nature calling on the course....
http://thesandtrap.com/t/66807/nature-calls-on-the-course

Besides, researchers say our liquid waste is an effective fertilizer that not only promotes plant growth as well as industrial mineral fertilizers, but also would save energy used on sewage treatment...

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

What forms of golf etiquette do you ignore and why?

I'm not sure that you could say that I ignore this, but recent etiquette dictates that you take off your hat and shake hands after holing out on the 18th green. Personally, I always shake hands, but I wait to see if the other golfers remove their hats. If they do, I do. If they don't, I don't.

To me, the shaking of hands is the important part of ending the day. But, as for the hat? I hope that I've shown respect throughout the round, so I don't know if there is a necessity to take off your hat.

When I first meet a male playing partner on the course the same rule applies.  However, because my mom and dad brought me up to have a special respect for ladies, I will always take my hat off to them. Am I showing discrimination and a lack of respect toward men? I don't really think so, because if a man's hat comes off when we shake hands, I will do the same.

The tough part is when your playing partner does not have a hat. In those cases, I will take off my cap.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

But I just hold it until a proper facility is available.

I'll admit that I don't. Unless I know a can is coming up fast, I'll find a discreet way to get relief.

I've done it off the 18th tee box at Pebble Beach (although, in all candor, darkness was approaching and that made it pretty easy).

My home course has hundreds upon hundreds of trees, including many thick-trunked pines. There's no reason to put pressure on your bladder or kidneys.

John

Take off the hat when shaking hands at 18th hole?

Maybe it I'm playing in a pro tournament with a caddie or at a nice club with caddies. I could probably manage this. But if I'm playing without a valet (AKA caddie),  if I have a putter and my ball in my left hand, and shake with my right, what am I supposed to do with my hat?

As for hats inside the clubhouse... if it's at the turn, snackbar space is limited, and is there room to put your hat down? Do you want to give someone a chance to splash beer on it?

After the round, I switch out of golf shoes and probably leave my hat in the car. Mid-round and post-round are different conditions.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

With regard topros peeing on the golf course: we went to the only men's international tournament to be played in Germany this year (BMW International Open), where many of the world's top players were playing (Stenson, Kaymer, Garcia, etc.). I was astonished to see that several pros simply walked to te edge of the fairway and stood in front of the bushes with their backs to the crowd to relieve their bladders. I have no qualms about peeing in the bushes on the course, but will try to ensure I'm out of sight of others by going into the bushes, behind a large tree, etc.

If you are playing in hot weather and drinking a lot, you are going to sweat most of it out anyway - it's never going to make it to your bladder!

I suspect there are cultural differences at play here.  Based on my daughter's observation that Paris smelled like a urinal when she was there a couple of years back I suspect Europeans have looser standards in this area than Americans.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I've ALWAYS been s stickler on etiquette, repair every ball mark and others I see, put sand in every divot in the fairway. Everyone should do that. Don't walk in players line, don't stand directly behind someone hitting the ball or especially putting. Don't stand on the green when another player is hitting his approach to the green (from like 50+ yds anyway) Hey that just how I roll, and always will. Most modern day amateur golfers just don't have the best of etiquette these days IMO

I've ALWAYS been s stickler on etiquette, repair every ball mark and others I see, put sand in every divot in the fairway. Everyone should do that. Don't walk in players line, don't stand directly behind someone hitting the ball or especially putting. Don't stand on the green when another player is hitting his approach to the green (from like 50+ yds anyway) Hey that just how I roll, and always will. Most modern day amateur golfers just don't have the best of etiquette these days IMO

so which ones do you ignore?

Just like you don’t hold your fork like a trowel, or eat with your hands, because it is more convenient, golf is not about convenience, either. It’s in part about civility, which includes adhering to rules and etiquette.

Much of our contemporary world is chaotic, with people everywhere flouting laws, considerateness and rules. So to me it is gratifying that there is in golf a refuge of some order and decorum by design. And I try to observe all the rules and etiquette that I can remember, and I refresh my understanding by occasionally by picking up a reference book. I realize that many people don’t share my punctiliousness, as players scoot first onto a tee after a double bogie, possibly in reflexive desperation for redemption, while I might have scored par. I don’t say anything.

And Isn’t order of play on a tee a rule, rather than etiquette, as referred to here?

Originally posted by turtleback

I suspect there are cultural differences at play here.  Based on my daughter's observation that Paris smelled like a urinal when she was there a couple of years back I suspect Europeans have looser standards in this area than Americans.

I think you are probably right. Europe is very diverse, and Germany is a lot "looser" in this respect than the UK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by graham57

With regard topros peeing on the golf course: we went to the only men's international tournament to be played in Germany this year (BMW International Open), where many of the world's top players were playing (Stenson, Kaymer, Garcia, etc.). I was astonished to see that several pros simply walked to te edge of the fairway and stood in front of the bushes with their backs to the crowd to relieve their bladders. I have no qualms about peeing in the bushes on the course, but will try to ensure I'm out of sight of others by going into the bushes, behind a large tree, etc.

If you are playing in hot weather and drinking a lot, you are going to sweat most of it out anyway - it's never going to make it to your bladder!

When we were in Venice walking down the sidewalk, a guy just walked over and whipped it out and relieved himself in the canal right in front of my wife and me.  Sorry but if that's a cultural standard, I want no part of it.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It is a rule without penalty unless there are specific circumstances or it is match play. Playing out of turn is only against the rules if both competitors have agreed to it in order to give one a competitive advantage (if someone was an inch closer, but on the same line as another's putt and they agreed to give the other person a read that would be a time in which you are penalized). It's also something that's just stupid to do when you're trying to pick up the pace of play. If you are closer to the hole than another guy who's lollygagging behind than you should step in and play your shot when it's a casual round. Don't be that guy who slows the entire course down by contesting honors on the tee or waiting on slower players before you hit your shot.

In match play it's a more strict rule, with people who play out of turn being subject to their opponent recalling their shot to be played again.

As far as what I ignore or whatever, SOMETIMES you can't help but step in someone's line, on the green. I TRY not to, but sometimes you can't help it. And from where I see it, the particular spot had probably been stepped on, previously, right??

You can always avoid stepping on someone's line up until the point that your foot hits the ground. That's a slight exaggeration, of course, but if you look around the green to spot where people's balls lie you can plan your path around the green to avoid the lines of their putts. It just takes some practice and prior planning.

As a heads up, you shouldn't post all in bold. I have fixed that in the quote, but I encourage you to use bold as a tool to emphasize important things.For example, you could say, "I've always been a stickler on etiquette" and get the point across in a less visually distracting manner.

• Upvote 1

Don't be that guy who slows the entire course down by contesting honors on the tee or waiting on slower players before you hit your shot.

This. A thousand times this.

Colin P.

As far as what I ignore or whatever, SOMETIMES you can't help but step in someone's line, on the green. I TRY not to, but sometimes you can't help it. And from where I see it, the particular spot had probably been stepped on, previously, right??

I play golf mostly in Texas and most (not all) greens are some strain of bermuda.  Stepping in someone's line is not such a big deal, especially since most clubs today require soft spikes.  So, unless someone is turning and twisting when they step on your line...you are right...not such a big deal.

On the other hand, I have played a fair amount of golf on bentgrass greens.  On those greens, you seem to have more of a visible footprint left for a very short period of time.  In those cases...I think you have to be extremely careful not to step on someone's line.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

When we were in Venice walking down the sidewalk, a guy just walked over and whipped it out and relieved himself in the canal right in front of my wife and me.  Sorry but if that's a cultural standard, I want no part of it.

When I was in India (Delhi and Hyderabad) this past spring, it was common to see men relieving themselves on the streets and roads out in plain sight.  Sure, they had their back turned to the street but it was pretty obvious.  In a one block span, I saw 5 guys taking a leak just off the sidewalk.

Take off the hat when shaking hands at 18th hole?

Maybe it I'm playing in a pro tournament with a caddie or at a nice club with caddies. I could probably manage this. But if I'm playing without a valet (AKA caddie),  if I have a putter and my ball in my left hand, and shake with my right, what am I supposed to do with my hat?

Ball goes in back pocket, reach up and take off your hat with your left hand and then tuck your putter under your left armpit and across your left forearm with your right hand....then your right hand is free to shake hands.  It is not all that hard to do...seriously...it is not.  As clutzy as I am, I've been able to pull it off ever since I started wearing hats to play golf.

Note: This thread is 3377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!