IGNORED

Titelist AP2 vs. Nike VR Pro Blades

Kelzzy
Note: This thread is 3782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I was going to get the Nike VR Pro Blades for Christmas, but just saw a commercial for the new Titelist AP2 irons.. and dayum they look sweet. A lot of pros stand behind those clubs, but they could just be paid to say that. Anyway, the clubs look amazing and look like they have a great feel.

I don't know for sure, but I think I got the vibe that they were oversized, not blades. My Ping i-3's are oversize, but a lot of people I know are moving to blades for some reason. Some people have told me that I need to stick with the oversize as it's an advantage even the best use. Plus, sticking with the same type of gear (oversize Ping's to oversize AP's) would be a good move, right?

Than again, I don't even know if the AP's are oversize or what. Anybody have experience with these clubs? Thoughts on them, and should I get them over the Nike VR Pro Blades?

So I was going to get the Nike VR Pro Blades for Christmas, but just saw a commercial for the new Titelist AP2 irons.. and dayum they look sweet. A lot of pros stand behind those clubs, but they could just be paid to say that. Anyway, the clubs look amazing and look like they have a great feel. I don't know for sure, but I think I got the vibe that they were oversized, not blades. My Ping i-3's are oversize, but a lot of people I know are moving to blades for some reason. Some people have told me that I need to stick with the oversize as it's an advantage even the best use. Plus, sticking with the same type of gear (oversize Ping's to oversize AP's) would be a good move, right? Than again, I don't even know if the AP's are oversize or what. Anybody have experience with these clubs? Thoughts on them, and should I get them over the Nike VR Pro Blades?

If you're not yet shooting in the 70s consistently, I would go for the AP2s over any blades. Even if you were shooting in the high 70s, go for the AP2s over blades.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you're not yet shooting in the 70s consistently, I would go for the AP2s over any blades. Even if you were shooting in the high 70s, go for the AP2s over blades.

Thanks, I'll probably go with the AP2s.. but what are the advantages of blades? More spin and yardage?

The short answer is blades are less forgiving on mishits. Blades give the player great workability when hit correctly. I just switched to the new AP2 from Titleist CB and I'm happy so far with feel and workability. AP2 is not oversized! The tungsten weight in the heel and toe in the AP2 is why they are much more forgiving on mishits. A lot of the best players in the world are utilizing this technology!

The short answer is blades are less forgiving on mishits. Blades give the player great workability when hit correctly. I just switched to the new AP2 from Titleist CB and I'm happy so far with feel and workability. AP2 is not oversized! The tungsten weight in the heel and toe in the AP2 is why they are much more forgiving on mishits. A lot of the best players in the world are utilizing this technology!

Cool, but the AP2s aren't oversize, but still forgiving? Are they blades, or do they have their own section? Or are they just under "regular", if that's even a possibility.

They are a players iron. The AP1 is oversize and is considered a game improvement iron. The new 714 AP2 is very blade like in appearance. Slightly larger. The weights are why its more forgiving.

They are a players iron. The AP1 is oversize and is considered a game improvement iron. The new 714 AP2 is very blade like in appearance. Slightly larger. The weights are why its more forgiving.

Hmm.. interesting. I will probably have to test both out to see which one I like more.. I may have to go with the AP2s if they're a little more "advanced" but not impossible to hit, if you know what I mean.

The AP2s fall into the "player's iron" category. They are not blades, but I wouldn't call them oversized. They have a bit of a cavity and the perimeter weighting helps to move the weight lower and increase launch. They will also be more forgiving than a blade. Just between the two, I'd go with the AP2s. However, as you seem to be pretty serious about golf and seeing as these things ain't cheap, I'd advise that you go to a golf shop and hit as many different clubs as you can. Try both and also irons from the other brands. I'm currently using the Mizuno MP54s which I really like (they would kind of be Mizuno's version of the AP2s I suppose). The new stuff from Callaway is also good stuff. I got a chance to hit the new Apex irons (not the Pro version) the other day and I thought they were pretty nice as well. The point is that everybody is making pretty good stuff and you should see what fits your eye and swing best. In fact, if you are using PING i3s and like them, I'd suggest looking at the PING i20s. Similar look and feel but with updated technology. Also, I think they are a bit cheaper than the AP2s as well.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Yeah strongly agree, only a small percentage of golfers have the game to consistently hit muscleback irons well.

The AP2s fall into the "player's iron" category. They are not blades, but I wouldn't call them oversized. They have a bit of a cavity and the perimeter weighting helps to move the weight lower and increase launch. They will also be more forgiving than a blade. Just between the two, I'd go with the AP2s. However, as you seem to be pretty serious about golf and seeing as these things ain't cheap, I'd advise that you go to a golf shop and hit as many different clubs as you can. Try both and also irons from the other brands. I'm currently using the Mizuno MP54s which I really like (they would kind of be Mizuno's version of the AP2s I suppose). The new stuff from Callaway is also good stuff. I got a chance to hit the new Apex irons (not the Pro version) the other day and I thought they were pretty nice as well. The point is that everybody is making pretty good stuff and you should see what fits your eye and swing best. In fact, if you are using PING i3s and like them, I'd suggest looking at the PING i20s. Similar look and feel but with updated technology. Also, I think they are a bit cheaper than the AP2s as well.

They worked well for Zach Johnson ;-)

AP2's have a slightly thicker topline than your standard muscleback and a wider sole.  So you get a clean look at address with some nice "help" with turf interaction and launch.

Thanks, I'll probably go with the AP2s.. but what are the advantages of blades? More spin and yardage?

Blades can be a good club for a player with a high swing speed that hits it solid.   Blades will tend to launch lower and have less spin, again good for a high speed solid ball striker.  You might hear that blades allow you to "work" the ball but that's only because more gear effect comes into play ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

They worked well for Zach Johnson

Duffner, Stricker, Watney (last year) off the top of my head. Even the best need a little help at times. Unless you are a good ball striker and can create good compression, Id stay with the cavity style iron. They are a nice feeling iron. Then its a matter of finding a shaft that has a suitable flex and kick for you.

Also I would go with the idea that unless you are playing a pretty nice golf course, perhaps a private course or a very well kept up semi. Blades will be easier to hit on these better courses that offer better lies and more consistent playing conditions in the fairway or rough. Munis or public courses that have thick and thin areas, inconsistent grasses, lumps and lots of undulations in the fairway and rough blades can be pretty punishing for anything less than good solid contact on the sweet spot each and every time.

Lastly Kelzy's avatar and information include a 14.1 handicap, if that handicap is true I would NOT recommend a blade of any brand. If the 14.1 is trending down and you have a repeatable consistent swing, intend on taking lessons or intend on playing a lot of golf in the future. If this is the case I would  instead recommend a club of reasonable performance, but not a lot of offset or sole width common with game improvement. Just off the top of my head an iron set like the new TM speedblades, Ap2 and some others. The speed blades are not forged nor are they over $1000.00 but they have a unique feel and control to them due to speed pocket, I have played forged clubs most of my life and these speedblades deserve a look for most 5-15 handicappers in my opinion. Good luck

• Upvote 1

Also I would go with the idea that unless you are playing a pretty nice golf course, perhaps a private course or a very well kept up semi. Blades will be easier to hit on these better courses that offer better lies and more consistent playing conditions in the fairway or rough. Munis or public courses that have thick and thin areas, inconsistent grasses, lumps and lots of undulations in the fairway and rough blades can be pretty punishing for anything less than good solid contact on the sweet spot each and every time.

Lastly Kelzy's avatar and information include a 14.1 handicap, if that handicap is true I would NOT recommend a blade of any brand. If the 14.1 is trending down and you have a repeatable consistent swing, intend on taking lessons or intend on playing a lot of golf in the future. If this is the case I would  instead recommend a club of reasonable performance, but not a lot of offset or sole width common with game improvement. Just off the top of my head an iron set like the new TM speedblades, Ap2 and some others. The speed blades are not forged nor are they over $1000.00 but they have a unique feel and control to them due to speed pocket, I have played forged clubs most of my life and these speedblades deserve a look for most 5-15 handicappers in my opinion. Good luck

Good advice, IDK why my handicap says 14.1. I put it as 4.1 because that's what I was shooting, but never had an official handicap.

• Administrator

Good advice, IDK why my handicap says 14.1. I put it as 4.1 because that's what I was shooting, but never had an official handicap.

If you were "shooting" 4.1 you wouldn't have a thread about getting "into" the 70s - you'd already be there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If you were "shooting" 4.1 you wouldn't have a thread about getting "into" the 70s - you'd already be there.

its what i was shooting from the whites, and only did it twice as when i posted the number for the handicap i had just started golf and played great.

Note: This thread is 3782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!