IGNORED

Q for Americans and those living in the US - Can you drive a car w/a manual transmission?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Living in Australia it seems here that a lot of people never learnt to drive manuals either.  Manuals although still costing less when brand new seem to actually be costing more second hand as there's just not that many of them around!

Working on some pretty boggy, sloppy construction sites, I much prefer my manual ute for sticky situations where some delicate throttle control is required.  My partner can't drive a manual, normally a good thing cos I don't think I could trust her to drive a fairly large vehicle (although not that big compared to American style pick-ups) but it does mean unfortunately she can't drive me home from the pub if I have a few too many!

I was traveling in England and when I picked up the rental car in London the clerk was very concerned that I, as an American, was getting a manual transmission car. I assured them that I had learned to drive manual transmissions early in life (12'ish, my Dad was a rebel and we were in the driveway in a '73 Honda CVCC) and knew what to do. That's the first that I heard that Americans don't know how to drive stick. I even know how to back up a trailer, but don't have experience with semi-truck sized vehicles.

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A couple of times when I rented in the UK, they took my fingerprints. Felt like a criminal and I didn't even have the car yet. I returned every UK rental in pristine condition.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Of course I can, I started driving in 1971, a significant number of cars were still manual transmissions back then.  I even had a '64 Chevy Impala that I took out the crappy 2 speed automatic and put in a 4 speed manual, I drove that while I was in college.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

My first vehicle was a Toyota pickup that was a 6 speed. My dad basically told me if I wanted to drive, I would have to learn. I spent about a week driving around the neighborhood until I was confident to get out on the highway.

Personally, I think knowing how to drive a standard is one skill everyone should have.

Tyler Martin

I learned to drive in a car with a stick, my Dad's 66 Mustang. I own that car today, so yeah, I can drive a stick and still do once in a while. In fact until 1998, everything I bought was a stick. I even learned to shift without needing the clutch. After my doc told me I should change to an auto to save my back, I switched. Now the only time I row the gears is those rare occasions when I take the 'stang for a quick spin..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Note: This thread is 3755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!