IGNORED

How Should the USGA Spend the $56,000,000 Extra From the Fox TV Contract?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 3784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I saw an article in Golf Digest (December, 2013, issue) where David Fay, former USGA Executive Director, suggested a number of ways for the USGA to spend their windfall from the most recent TV contract with Fox. Starting in 2015 the USGA will reap $56,000,000 in additional TV money.

The USGA already is sitting on a growing surplus of over $250,000,000. Not bad for a non-profit. Based on their seemingly endless need for financial security, I don’t see them spending all their new found riches. There is not going to be $56,000,000 of additional spending. We can, however, hope, right?

I would like to see the USGA field test some of their ideas for improving pace of play. Go to two dozen municipal courses around the USA and ask them to implement various pace of play protocols. Hold the muni’s harmless and guarantee their current level of revenue and expenses for the duration of the test, plus an additional year. If the pace of play experiments result in the same or higher revenue, that is all the better. If revenue were to decline or expenses increase, however, the USGA would provide subsidies.

What issues would everyone else like to see addressed?  Bigger prize money for the U.S. Open?  Negotiate public access to U.S. Open venues for 6 months following the event (with appropriate subsidy to the host club)?

Something I doubt will ever happen is a national USGA Handicap tournament but it would be fun to watch such an event, a championship for the 99%.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Something I doubt will ever happen is a national USGA Handicap tournament but it would be fun to watch such an event, a championship for the 99%.

The US Sandbagger's Open?  No thanks.

• Administrator

Some have said that they're storing it in a war chest for when they roll the ball back.

That always gets a laugh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Maybe now they can bring back the public links championships in addition to their Amateur Four-Ball tournament.

They had $250M when they axed it, so that's unlikely. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Give back to the fans.  Send a check to each USGA member.  My address is....

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The US Sandbagger's Open?  No thanks.

Hahahaha - oh, that made me smile! I was thinking about that other thread, "Will 58 ever happen?" (or whatever it's called). It would definitely happen in this new championship, probably by a 12 handicapper who, amazingly enough, hits a gross 70 ("Can't believe it....the round of my life...never played like that before...must be the adrenalin...")

They will use it to make up for the lost dues when people said they were quitting the USGA over the anchoring ban.

And have $55,999,000 left over.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

They will use it to make up for the lost dues when people said they were quitting the USGA over the anchoring ban.

And have $55,999,000 left over.

They didnt even want $35 from me this year, they offered $10 to keep me - but i politely declined.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Note: This thread is 3784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!