IGNORED

Do you practice one handed? How are you with your lead arm only?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm righty and have no problems getting decent distance and contact with my right arm only but left arm is another story. One of the drills my instructor gave me recently was left hand only with and without balls.

Now I'm a bit psyched to get myself to hit left arm only better. I can get an 8 iron at most 75 yards now, but contact is still inconsistent (I've seen good players get as much as 80% of their full distance lead arm only which I am in awe of.) I feel like I gained better body awareness doing this though.

Anyone else do this drill?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm righty and have no problems getting decent distance and contact with my right arm only but left arm is another story. One of the drills my instructor gave me recently was left hand only with and without balls.

Now I'm a bit psyched to get myself to hit left arm only better. I can get an 8 iron at most 75 yards now, but contact is still inconsistent (I've seen good players get as much as 80% of their full distance lead arm only which I am in awe of.) I feel like I gained better body awareness doing this though.

I used to but I finally figured out that I do better with a right arm dominated swing, and I do drills with the right arm only all the time. My right arm has to have the same motion I would use for a sidearm pitch or a low tennis forehand shot.

My son is the opposite and has always had a left arm dominant swing and he can hit the ball very well with only his left arm but he has more of a one plane swing and his left arm motion is more like a low Frisbee throw.

My guess is that both of us would probably be better if we were equally as good with either hand but we don't like using the off hand (left in my case and right in his) because we aren't any good at it.

P.S. The strange thing is that I do many things left handed. Write, eat, shoot both a gun and a bow, weld, shoot pool, and most other things that take skill. Anything that takes strength I do right handed.

My son basically does nothing left handed, but still has a left arm dominant swing.

At 65 my arms are to weak to one handed drills anymore..When I use to do them, I concentrated more on good contact then distance, it helped a bunch. Keep at it, soon hitting with both hands will seem effortlessly.

I think practicing pitching with the right arm only can be good, as long as it's a "soft" right arm.

For full swing I'm not sure how much swinging with one arm really "teaches" you.  If it's not working out well I wouldn't spend much time doing it, better drills to do imo

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!