IGNORED

Anyone swap out their gas oven themselves?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thinking about it as my setup looks pretty simple but apprehensive about blowing myself up. :scared:

$250 for install and oven disposal sounds reasonable for a high cost of living area, yes?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Thinking about it as my setup looks pretty simple but apprehensive about blowing myself up.

$250 for install and oven disposal sounds reasonable for a high cost of living area, yes?

You mean to swap it out for another gas oven?

Yeah. It's pretty easy. Did our dryer too - just get soapy water and you can check for bubbles that indicate a leak.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You mean to swap it out for another gas oven?

Yeah. It's pretty easy. Did our dryer too - just get soapy water and you can check for bubbles that indicate a leak.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards doing it myself. Did you use seal tape on the threads?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards doing it myself. Did you use seal tape on the threads?

$250 sounds reasonable, but you could do it yourself as well.

1) Slide existing range out as far as you can.

2) Look behind.  There should be a valve and a gas flexible connection.

3) Shut off the valve and disconnect the flex.  Unplug the range as well.

4) Remove range.

5) Slide new range to opening.

6) Reconnect gas flex to new range.

7) Turn on valve and check (as Erik said) with soap bubbles.

Be careful you do not scratch the floor when moving the ranges.

I would use seal tape (keep it a couple of threads back from the ends) and pipe dope (paste-like sealant).  Should only need one or the other, but using both is cheap insurance.  Just make sure you do not get any inside of the pipe.  Also put some of the paste-like sealant on the face of any flare connections.  Most gas flexes have flare connections.  The bolded step above is probably the most important.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

@nevets88 :  If you do it yourself and something happens, your insurance may not cover.  You may not be doing it per the current code too.  I've done lots of plumbing and my Dad was a plumber and taught me.  I feel comfortable doing it.  But there is risk and you should understand that risk and what the current code is for gas appliances.  Codes change often.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@nevets88:  If you do it yourself and something happens, your insurance may not cover.  You may not be doing it per the current code too.  I've done lots of plumbing and my Dad was a plumber and taught me.  I feel comfortable doing it.  But there is risk and you should understand that risk and what the current code is for gas appliances.  Codes change often.

If you've never done this sort of thing before I wouldn't suggest trying it now.  Not only might your insurance not cover it, but your wife (if you're married) will never let you forget it.

Joe Paradiso

Oy vey. I already made the swap. I decided what the heck and used the tape and tested via soap bubbles three times. You'll laugh, but when I turned on the burner, I crouched below burner level. Fire in the hole! Looks like everything is okay, Thinking of getting one of these things to be safe.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/First-Alert-Plug-In-Explosive-Gas-and-Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm-with-Digital-Display-GCO1CN/202433880

Steve

In MA, you can't use tape on gas.  Pipe dope is required.  Good news is gas is run only at 5 psi, so it doesn't have to be torqued tight.  You may want to replace the tape with gas rated pipe dope.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Oy vey. I already made the swap. I decided what the heck and used the tape and tested via soap bubbles three times. You'll laugh, but when I turned on the burner, I crouched below burner level. Fire in the hole! Looks like everything is okay, Thinking of getting one of these things to be safe.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/First-Alert-Plug-In-Explosive-Gas-and-Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm-with-Digital-Display-GCO1CN/202433880

I think the alarm give you something less than a minute before the explosion. :scared:

Seriously, though. Just have the gas company come by, and they will certify it as safe or not. If not, they will give you a list of contractors.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

nevets has the most random thread starters.  He should get the "Box of Chocolates Award" :-P

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

In order to provide some relevance to this thread, years ago i spray painted some metal golf heads, off the shaft, and baked them in the gas oven for a few hours.  Turned out OK but not quite OEM. I've always found gas stuff pretty easy, compared to electricity and plumbing. Worst of all is the 'black  box' computer hardware in cars.

I've always found gas stuff pretty easy, compared to electricity and plumbing.

Hate to burst your bubble, but "gas stuff" is plumbing.

Also, second the pipe dope. I've never used tape on gas fittings.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Hate to burst your bubble, but "gas stuff" is plumbing. Also, second the pipe dope. I've never used tape on gas fittings.

Depends how you define plumbing. I hold a journeyman plumbers license in the state of WI. At no point in my apprenticeship was gas mentioned.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Depends how you define plumbing. I hold a journeyman plumbers license in the state of WI. At no point in my apprenticeship was gas mentioned.

Actually, you're right. Natural gas piping is technically not plumbing, but here it's done by plumbers, so that's why I tend to group the two together.

Who does your gas piping? HVACR technicians? We don't have a HVACR license in NJ.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Actually, you're right. Natural gas piping is technically not plumbing, but here it's done by plumbers, so that's why I tend to group the two together. Who does your gas piping? HVACR technicians? We don't have a HVACR license in NJ.

We actually do usually have our plumbers do it. I just wanted to make the point that (in WI anyway) its not part of the plumbing code.

-Matt-

• Administrator

Gas is plumbing?

That explains this then! It's just for proper ventilation!

(made sense to me…)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Never thought of it that way. Makes sense.

-Matt-

Hate to burst your bubble, but "gas stuff" is plumbing.

Also, second the pipe dope. I've never used tape on gas fittings.

Is this pipe dope? The gas connector instructions says no tape or sealant on flare ends though.

nevets has the most random thread starters.  He should get the "Box of Chocolates Award"

I'm pretty adept at posting stuff anywhere from any device, quickly, so when something hits me, I just post. :-D I promise you I'm not doing it while driving. I post Mac stuff here because I know iacas knows Apple pretty good.

Steve

Note: This thread is 3755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!