IGNORED

Playing with a Scratch Golfer - thoughts?

GolfGuy123
Note: This thread is 3760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll agree to disagree.  Here's why - It's a big difference to request someone to not comment because that's what "you need" vs doing something to make "them" feel like they did something wrong by trying to make them uncomfortable just to get the same response.

However, if you like, my quote was a huge exaggeration (I agree, that specific quote SHOULD get copious amounts of mockery) - a direct comment like "I appreciate that, but it's not really a nice shot from what I'm used to" is usually enough to get the message across without glaring. Compare it to essentially "nice shot?  are you kidding?  what the **** do you know?"

Most of the 'bitch session' gripes I see on these threads are a bunch of people mad because others can't read their minds and act accordingly.  Cripes, people, just speak up and stop stewing.

I look at the "shot" vs. "Good shot" issue more like the difference between the cool guy that everybody wants to play with and the not so cool guy that gets left out but nobody quite knows why. The more carried away the not so cool guy is the less we like him.

I know one guy that seems like a very nice guy that tries very hard to be likable (too hard) and his constant over-emphasizing of "Great shot", even on shots that we don't like at all, gets old very quickly.

• Administrator

However, if you like, my quote was a huge exaggeration (I agree, that specific quote SHOULD get copious amounts of mockery) - a direct comment like "I appreciate that, but it's not really a nice shot from what I'm used to" is usually enough to get the message across without glaring. Compare it to essentially "nice shot?  are you kidding?  what the **** do you know?"

You don't seem to get that it's not a "glare." In no way does a quick glance approach the level of "nice shot?  are you kidding?  what the **** do you know?" You can agree to disagree all you want - you're not even understanding what's being said.

I don't think the goal is to make them feel uncomfortable, it's just a quick glance, the glance might not be a conscious thing.  To me I would feel more uncomfortable if someone said they were going to be anti-social until they felt better.  I would feel I had to be more "sensitive" to their feeling throughout the round.

Seriously.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If this thread keeps going it might be a contender with the Greame McDowell thread for most popular.

'shot

Bill - 

Besides the tee I can't think of many instances where I am close enough to even say anything to someone I am playing with. One thing for sure the lines and areas of the course a scratch golfer plays isn't where I will be. They're more likely to hear me drop some f bombs than anything. But I'm not big on positive reinforcement during the round. I don't need a cheerleader and I won't be one for anyone else. Though can't say I pay that much attention to my partner's shots.

Dave :-)

Agree with Erik, it's the same flaw, it can just manifest itself in difference ways.  Like a fat and thin shot is the same flaw but can result in (at least) two misses.

Do your best to assess what Key you need to work on, you usually can't go wrong with Keys 1 and/or 2.

Makes sense - thank you

Besides the tee I can't think of many instances where I am close enough to even say anything to someone I am playing with. One thing for sure the lines and areas of the course a scratch golfer plays isn't where I will be. They're more likely to hear me drop some f bombs than anything. But I'm not big on positive reinforcement during the round. I don't need a cheerleader and I won't be one for anyone else. Though can't say I pay that much attention to my partner's shots.

Me neither...But I must admit that when I really do hit one of those once a decade shots it's nice to at least hear some acknowledgement. :-D

My wife is the world's worst at not even paying enough attention to even give me a "shot" on something that was virtually impossible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer 4

Wanna splain that..?  Hard to believe that someone just starting out has the ability and knowledge to be a low HC or a scratch golfer right off the bat.

Not immediately, but he was likely past the "high hcp" stage pretty quickly.  A scratch golfer is an EXTREMELY good player.  Most recreational golfers can't even begin to understand how good they really are.  Most that I know were shooting into the 80's very quickly from picking up the game, even as a fairly young kids.

Think of it this way, a top, D-1 college basketball player picked up a basketball for the first time at some point.....but he was never really bad at the game.

Please don't tell me this.

I'm a weekend warrior but I do hope to one day be able learn and improve enough to shoot par and hopefully (if it ever happens, it'll probably be in retirement) become a scratch golfer.

Do you really feel that for the average person, even if they put in a lot of work, scratch is virtually unattainable?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

[QUOTE name="David in FL" url="/t/71567/playing-with-a-scratch-golfer-thoughts/54#post_931558"]   [QUOTE name="Hammer 4" url="/t/71567/playing-with-a-scratch-golfer-thoughts/54#post_931554"]   Wanna splain that..?  Hard to believe that someone just starting out has the ability and knowledge to be a low HC or a scratch golfer right off the bat. [/QUOTE] Not immediately, but he was likely past the "high hcp" stage pretty quickly. A scratch golfer is an EXTREMELY good player.  Most recreational golfers can't even begin to understand how good they really are.  Most that I know were shooting into the 80's very quickly from picking up the game, even as a fairly young kids. Think of it this way, a top, D-1 college basketball player picked up a basketball for the first time at some point.....but he was never really bad at the game. [/QUOTE] Please don't tell me this. I'm a weekend warrior but I do hope to one day be able learn and improve enough to shoot par and hopefully (if it ever happens, it'll probably be in retirement) become a scratch golfer. Do you really feel that for the average person, even if they put in a lot of work, scratch is virtually unattainable?

Something like 99%+ of golfers will never reach a handicap of 0 or better. Not unobtainable, but the odds aren't in your (or my) favor.

Tyler Martin

I'm a weekend warrior but I do hope to one day be able learn and improve enough to shoot par and hopefully (if it ever happens, it'll probably be in retirement) become a scratch golfer.

Do you really feel that for the average person, even if they put in a lot of work, scratch is virtually unattainable?

You'll never know unless you try... ;-)

No but once the time and effort is being spent your going to find out if you can get past the 5 index barrier, this is where a lot of pretty good golfers wind up and never go any further. I'm there right now and improvement comes very slowly but I hope to prevail in the next few years.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Me neither...But I must admit that when I really do hit one of those once a decade shots it's nice to at least hear some acknowledgement.

My wife is the world's worst at not even paying enough attention to even give me a "shot" on something that was virtually impossible.

Lol like you said so infrequent. Maybe she's waiting until you finally hit it. Anything I hit that was "good" was luck this year. Managed to eagle the same hole 5 times this year. But all year I averaged bogey on the same hole. Each time I did anything birdie or better it was due to a fortunate mistake. And you are playing MUCH better golf. The lower my handicap gets the more I realize I suck. A compliment about my golf would be akin to saying hey your socks don't match.

Does anyone know someone who started golf after age 40 and became a scratch golfer?   I have never heard of one.   I loved to play with one and pick his brain on how he did it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Does anyone know someone who started golf after age 40 and became a scratch golfer?   I have never heard of one.   I loved to play with one and pick his brain on how he did it.

As in never touched a club before 40? Not likely. Not legit anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

No but once the time and effort is being spent your going to find out if you can get past the 5 index barrier, this is where a lot of pretty good golfers wind up and never go any further. I'm there right now and improvement comes very slowly but I hope to prevail in the next few years.

If I end up being a 5 handicap, I probably won't be that disappointed. :-D

That said, I'm 37 now and this was the first year I played more than 3 rounds of golf in a year and I began the year with very little knowledge shooting in the 130's on courses that had a CR of anywhere b/w 68-70 and slopes ranging from 111-125.  I ended up playing around 40 rounds this year and my last 10 rounds of the season I was able to average 111.

I was happy with the progress and was hoping to be able to shoot somewhere b/w 90-100 on average next year.  I figured that if it happens it will be due mostly to putting in good practice and what not but these posts above have made me questions if I can see such improvement.

Christian

Hey if I got there, anyone can ;-) I'm not there now and a big part of that is that I just don't play much.

I did start playing when I was 13 and practiced and played a lot growing up.

Yep like anything else, it takes time and some hard work

Not scratch but do know of some guys that took the game up in their 30's and got to single digits.  Part of it was that they were good athletes and kept their practice simple.  They practiced 2-3 times a week for about an hour or two.  Better to do this than practice for 4 hours once a week.  They basically figured out their priority piece and worked to improve that.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

This is a tough one to answer honestly, but the answer is, with the VERY occassional exception, yes.  But hey, there's nothing that says you can't be one of those rare exceptions!

:beer:

If I end up being a 5 handicap, I probably won't be that disappointed.

That said, I'm 37 now and this was the first year I played more than 3 rounds of golf in a year and I began the year with very little knowledge shooting in the 130's on courses that had a CR of anywhere b/w 68-70 and slopes ranging from 111-125.  I ended up playing around 40 rounds this year and my last 10 rounds of the season I was able to average 111.

I was happy with the progress and was hoping to be able to shoot somewhere b/w 90-100 on average next year.  I figured that if it happens it will be due mostly to putting in good practice and what not but these posts above have made me questions if I can see such improvement.

A 5 hcp is a great goal, and much more attainable in my opinion.  It's hard for someone who's not at that level to understand, but the difference between someone playing off 5 and an honest scratch golfer is worlds apart.  Much more than the 5 strokes would seem to indicate.....  Keep at it, and you'll make progress quickly, but you'll level out a few times along the way as you pass through some of the traditional barriers that tend to catch people.  Breaking first 100, then 90 consistently .  The 10-12 hcp range tends to be one that catches a lot of golfers, and as @flopster mentioned, that 5 hcp barrier is a real BITCH for a lot of us..... :-(

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

[QUOTE name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/71567/playing-with-a-scratch-golfer-thoughts/90#post_931916"]   Please don't tell me this. I'm a weekend warrior but I do hope to one day be able learn and improve enough to shoot par and hopefully (if it ever happens, it'll probably be in retirement) become a scratch golfer. Do you really feel that for the average person, even if they put in a lot of work, scratch is virtually unattainable? [/QUOTE] This is a tough one to answer honestly, but the answer is, with the VERY occassional exception, yes.  But hey, there's nothing that says you can't be one of those rare exceptions! :beer: [QUOTE name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/71567/playing-with-a-scratch-golfer-thoughts/90#post_931938"] If I end up being a 5 handicap, I probably won't be that disappointed. :-D That said, I'm 37 now and this was the first year I played more than 3 rounds of golf in a year and I began the year with very little knowledge shooting in the 130's on courses that had a CR of anywhere b/w 68-70 and slopes ranging from 111-125.  I ended up playing around 40 rounds this year and my last 10 rounds of the season I was able to average 111. I was happy with the progress and was hoping to be able to shoot somewhere b/w 90-100 on average next year.  I figured that if it happens it will be due mostly to putting in good practice and what not but these posts above have made me questions if I can see such improvement. [/QUOTE] A 5 hcp is a great goal, and much more attainable in my opinion.  It's hard for someone who's not at that level to understand, but the difference between someone playing off 5 and an honest scratch golfer is worlds apart.  Much more than the 5 strokes would seem to indicate.....  Keep at it, and you'll make progress quickly, but you'll level out a few times along the way as you pass through some of the traditional barriers that tend to catch people.  Breaking first 100, then 90 consistently .  The 10-12 hcp range tends to be one that catches a lot of golfers, and as @flopster mentioned, that 5 hcp barrier is a real BITCH for a lot of us.....  :-(

I reached one of my goals earlier this year when I broke 100. Did that twice and was very proud of myself. I'm getting a golf net for Christmas and am planning on signing up for elvolr so hopefully that will help me get to the goal of consistently scoring in the 90-100 range by summer and maybe get to scoring in the 80-90 range consistently by the end of next season. The second goal might be unrealistic but don't really know if it is or not.

Christian

Note: This thread is 3760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!