IGNORED

Crazy golf stories!

Kelzzy
Note: This thread is 3724 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So at my course, since it's in the hills, it's really easy to cut over from the third hole to the 7th hole. Everyone, including myself, does it all the time. I wanted to get my loop in for the day, which consists of 1-3 holes, cut over to the 7th, and from there go to 7-8th, and cut over to the 15th and play in.

Anyway, I did my regular setup after paring the third, and headed over to the 7th. Like always, I checked the 6th hole's tee box to make sure nobody was teeing off so I wouldn't directly cut in front of anybody. However, there was somebody putting on the 5th, but I didn't think too much of it as I play at a good pace and thought I could tee off by the time he did on the 7th.

When I reach the 7th tee box, I set up my ball and get ready to tee off ... only to find two weekenders in front of me. Granted, I have nothing wrong with these guys and I wasn't mad at them or anything, but I was left on the tee box for about 5 minutes while they shanked it right. Nothing to be ashamed of, just keep it in mind.

So I was sitting on the tee box for a good five minutes, and up rolls the guy I just saw on the green of the two holes behind me. I'm just standing there, trying to visualize my next drive while he just stares at me for a good 30 seconds. I mean, dayum, the dude had a great stare. Although he had sunglasses, I felt like his burning eyes gapped through his tinted lenses and grabbed something deep inside of me, pulling out my very soul while he munched on the only thing..

Anyway, I, making sure I am very polite not wanting to dirty my name around the course say, "How are you doing?", y'know, something you would say to a fellow golfer. I was expecting a "Ah, great day huh?" or something like that, but nah, the guy continues to stare at me.. not saying a word. Finally, I say "What?" and he just continues to stare. Looking behind me, a little mockery, but it was more making something out of the super awkward glare he was giving me. Then, he got out of his cart and started heading my way. Damn, son, he was charging like a horse and I was his carrot. Getting all up in my face, pointing is finger (bending it just like Bill Clinton did to feel like Reagan) he spat in my face:

"Did you just cut in front of me?"

"Oh, uh, yeah but I didn't mean to slow your game down. I usually just cut over from this hole when the sun's going down to get in my loop."

"Didn't you see me behind you? I saw you cutting in front of me!"

"I actually didn't. I saw you on the green of the 5th, but I didn't know these guys were in front of me. I'm sorry, you can take the tee box if you want, there's no problem."

I was actually talking like that. I was trying to remain as respectful as possible because I didn't want word flying around "That kid's a jerk!". I thought I handled it well, I continued to offer him the tee-box, apologize and let him know I didn't know he was that close to me, etc.

For another 3 minutes or so he ranted about how it's "Just not right" and blah blah blah. I told him if I knew he was behind me I wouldn't have cut and let him through, after all everyone cuts over like I did. It's not like I'm breaking any rules.

I stepped back and offered him the tee box a final time, and he gave me one more glare before turning around to walk back to his cart. I thought he was grabbing his driver (maybe a 9-iron, don't want to mess with the trees?), but he just sat there. Presumably, I teed off. It was a great tee shot, and it was right in front of him... I thought it was good intimidation practice. Some of my friends think the guy is loco in the toco and just felt miserable that day. Another felt like he wanted to get in my head. Idk what he wanted, dude was tripping.

Anyway, what do you think? I just felt like writing this because I'm taking a break from studying. Also, share your crazy golf stories! I'd love to hear any.

Earlier this year, six of us played a 9 hole course, including my young cousin and his friend(both 13). We had cleared it with the people in the clubhouse and allowed anyone close to us to play through. We were playing best ball, and moving along faster than if we had split into two groups. We let anyone behind us go by, and didn't hold anyone up. We didn't have anyone behind us for quite a while, but as we were finishing putting on the short 7th hole's green, someone hits a ball that bounces and hits one of our carts. It bounced on up into the cart where I was sitting. I thought about throwing the damn thing into the pond nearby, but decided I'd just drop it there, that maybe he'd made a mistake and not seen us/thought he could hit that far. No, another ball gets hit nearby. Group of 4 guys at the tee. We made some sort of motion towards them, and then finished the hole and went on without the other two in their group hitting.

So, we finished the 8th hole no problem, and hit our drives on the 9th(the group behind was in the 8th fairway and had a long second shot and cart trip to get to the green). The wife of one in our group came with his 5 year old daughter and was with us as we played the last hole. We've all hit our second shots to the green, except one, and there comes another ball hit right at us. Needless to say, we weren't happy, but especially not the father of the girl. We're up around the green when the group behind drive up and two of them start mouthing off at us. "It's against the rules of golf to play with 6 people". Yeah, it's probably against the rules to wear cut off t-shirts, boots, and hit balls at people, too. Anyway, there was a bit of an argument with those two and the father of the girl. They didn't even finish the last hole and waited for us in the parking lot. They just stood there in the parking lot watching us while we loaded up our clubs. Nothing ended up happening, but I was sure there would be a fight.

Dumbest thing I've ever seen while golfing. It's one thing if we made them wait a long time, but we really didn't. They hit as soon as they got on the tees, and acted like we were holding them up all day, rather than briefly for two holes.

I had one thing similar to those experiences before when I was playing on a course near my house. There's this par 5 that has a creek directly in front of the green and I had walked over the small footbridge and was just short of the green walking across a small grass bunker. Out of nowhere I hear a thud and feel the sting of being hit in the shoulder with a golf ball that's moving at a good clip. The guy behind my group, a single behind a group of three, had decided to go for the green in two before we had even gotten onto it. I'm not sure what his thought process was, but he started yelling at me for blocking his shot with my body. I reacted in what was probably a sub-optimal way by tossing his ball down into the creek (still retrievable I will concede, since it was a shallow area where it caught up in the rocks). This made him angrier, causing him to hit a second shot at the green which stopped around five feet from out group (he actually had impressive accuracy from the distance he was at). The other member of the group goes and tosses this ball into the lake to the left of the green that the creek feeds into (definitely not retrievable) and sets the guy off even more. He hits a third shot at us, still carrying the creek and ending up near us as we were walking off, to which the third person responded by picking it up and putting it in his pocket. This guy was surprising, hitting three balls at us. However, the funy part about it was that he came straight to the next tee to ask for his ball back from the person who had picked it up, rather than finishing the previous hole. The person laughed and pointed at the water hazard to the left (the lake from the previous hole ran down the side of this one) where he had just hooked his tee shot. The look on the face of the man behind us more than made up for being hit by his 3-wood after one hop without him even yelling fore.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had one thing similar to those experiences before when I was playing on a course near my house. There's this par 5 that has a creek directly in front of the green and I had walked over the small footbridge and was just short of the green walking across a small grass bunker. Out of nowhere I hear a thud and feel the sting of being hit in the shoulder with a golf ball that's moving at a good clip. The guy behind my group, a single behind a group of three, had decided to go for the green in two before we had even gotten onto it. I'm not sure what his thought process was, but he started yelling at me for blocking his shot with my body. I reacted in what was probably a sub-optimal way by tossing his ball down into the creek (still retrievable I will concede, since it was a shallow area where it caught up in the rocks). This made him angrier, causing him to hit a second shot at the green which stopped around five feet from out group (he actually had impressive accuracy from the distance he was at). The other member of the group goes and tosses this ball into the lake to the left of the green that the creek feeds into (definitely not retrievable) and sets the guy off even more. He hits a third shot at us, still carrying the creek and ending up near us as we were walking off, to which the third person responded by picking it up and putting it in his pocket.

This guy was surprising, hitting three balls at us. However, the funy part about it was that he came straight to the next tee to ask for his ball back from the person who had picked it up, rather than finishing the previous hole. The person laughed and pointed at the water hazard to the left (the lake from the previous hole ran down the side of this one) where he had just hooked his tee shot. The look on the face of the man behind us more than made up for being hit by his 3-wood after one hop without him even yelling fore.

Dayum! I've been hit into, but never hit.. on a one hop too! Sheeit. Awesome story dude.

This isn't about being rushed by *******s behind me (which BTW rarely happens. I play pretty quick for a high handicapper) but is still a "Crazy golf story" that happened last year.

I'm hitting my hybrid from the fairway on a long par 4 on a course with a decent amount of geese. I was kind of used to it and not thinking about the flock in my vicinity, but I hit the shot a little thin and sent a line drive right into a poor goose's face. The guy is twitching on the ground and I feel terrible. One of my buddies is yelling "Hey you gotta put him out of his misery! Smash his head with your club. It's the only decent thing to do!" The other two don't seem too into it and I definitely don't have the heart to do it (nor scuff up one of my clubs) but all of a sudden the poor fella shakes his face and hops up seeming fine except for the blood all over his beak.

Before I can take my third shot (mind you the goose's face severely took velocity of the ball) the whole flock circled around me. I'm not joking, there was probably literally like 50 of them. My buddies tried chasing them off with their carts but it WOULD NOT WORK. These birds were ready to ATTACK. I was scared shitless like I was in a Hitchcock film, but composed myself enough to hit a nice shot to get on the green in 3. I played pretty bad that day, but was proud of not folding under the pressure of being pecked to death.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

one of the guys in my regular group has a tendency to come unglued when he's playing with another guy in our group.  They had some broohaha in softball way back, and the high strung guy never got over it.   Anyway, they were both out there that day.  We were all walking.  Highstrung guy was spraying and topping.  Lots of big numbers.  He was getting pouty.  Then on 13 he mishit another tee stroke , put his driver in his bag.  Took out has AW, left his bag and started walking.  Just walking away from his bag in a huff, talking crazy about playing in with his approach wedge.  I mean, he just left his bag on the tee box.  One of our guys was riding.  We stood there at the tee, watched pouty guy walk away with one club.  After a minute, rider and I loaded highstrung guys bag on the back of rider's cart.  Never seen a guy walk away from his clubs.

Anyway, I did my regular setup after paring the third, and headed over to the 7th. Like always, I checked the 6th hole's tee box to make sure nobody was teeing off so I wouldn't directly cut in front of anybody. However, there was somebody putting on the 5th, but I didn't think too much of it as I play at a good pace and thought I could tee off by the time he did on the 7th.

When I reach the 7th tee box, I set up my ball and get ready to tee off ... only to find two weekenders in front of me.

Aaah yes, there is nothing worse than skipping  a few holes expecting clear sailing, and then getting stuck.   If I was a single and you were a 4-some waiting on the 2-some after cutting................I would have probably skipped the hole and gone ahead without saying a word.

If we were both singles, I might have politely asked if you wanted company and joined you. If the 2-some ahead proved to be slow and there was empty space ahead, I would I might skip ahead of them offering you an invite to come along.

If you got stuck behind slower play, I'm not sure why he'd be angry with you.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Earlier this year, six of us played a 9 hole course, including my young cousin and his friend(both 13). We had cleared it with the people in the clubhouse and allowed anyone close to us to play through. We were playing best ball, and moving along faster than if we had split into two groups. We let anyone behind us go by, and didn't hold anyone up. We didn't have anyone behind us for quite a while, but as we were finishing putting on the short 7th hole's green, someone hits a ball that bounces and hits one of our carts. It bounced on up into the cart where I was sitting. I thought about throwing the damn thing into the pond nearby, but decided I'd just drop it there, that maybe he'd made a mistake and not seen us/thought he could hit that far. No, another ball gets hit nearby. Group of 4 guys at the tee. We made some sort of motion towards them, and then finished the hole and went on without the other two in their group hitting.

So, we finished the 8th hole no problem, and hit our drives on the 9th(the group behind was in the 8th fairway and had a long second shot and cart trip to get to the green). The wife of one in our group came with his 5 year old daughter and was with us as we played the last hole. We've all hit our second shots to the green, except one, and there comes another ball hit right at us. Needless to say, we weren't happy, but especially not the father of the girl. We're up around the green when the group behind drive up and two of them start mouthing off at us. "It's against the rules of golf to play with 6 people". Yeah, it's probably against the rules to wear cut off t-shirts, boots, and hit balls at people, too. Anyway, there was a bit of an argument with those two and the father of the girl. They didn't even finish the last hole and waited for us in the parking lot. They just stood there in the parking lot watching us while we loaded up our clubs. Nothing ended up happening, but I was sure there would be a fight.

Dumbest thing I've ever seen while golfing. It's one thing if we made them wait a long time, but we really didn't. They hit as soon as they got on the tees, and acted like we were holding them up all day, rather than briefly for two holes.

Whether you get permission to play as a group of six or not, you are asking for trouble and I recommend against doing this.   I don't play country courses that allow this sort of thing, but I know ecactly how I would react if I got stuck behind your group. Your group probably had empty space ahead since it was a family golf outing with children running around........

I wouldn't have said a word....as soon as I caught your group, I would have driven ahead to the next hole........I'd even give you a smile and a wave as I passed by.  It's a good thing those @ssholes  didn't behind you didn't hurt anybody!!   As a dad...I'd be looking for blood if someone hurt one of my kids.

What's in Paul's Bag:

I had one thing similar to those experiences before when I was playing on a course near my house. There's this par 5 that has a creek directly in front of the green and I had walked over the small footbridge and was just short of the green walking across a small grass bunker. Out of nowhere I hear a thud and feel the sting of being hit in the shoulder with a golf ball that's moving at a good clip. The guy behind my group, a single behind a group of three, had decided to go for the green in two before we had even gotten onto it. I'm not sure what his thought process was, but he started yelling at me for blocking his shot with my body. I reacted in what was probably a sub-optimal way by tossing his ball down into the creek (still retrievable I will concede, since it was a shallow area where it caught up in the rocks). This made him angrier, causing him to hit a second shot at the green which stopped around five feet from out group (he actually had impressive accuracy from the distance he was at). The other member of the group goes and tosses this ball into the lake to the left of the green that the creek feeds into (definitely not retrievable) and sets the guy off even more. He hits a third shot at us, still carrying the creek and ending up near us as we were walking off, to which the third person responded by picking it up and putting it in his pocket.

This guy was surprising, hitting three balls at us. However, the funy part about it was that he came straight to the next tee to ask for his ball back from the person who had picked it up, rather than finishing the previous hole. The person laughed and pointed at the water hazard to the left (the lake from the previous hole ran down the side of this one) where he had just hooked his tee shot. The look on the face of the man behind us more than made up for being hit by his 3-wood after one hop without him even yelling fore.

WOW!!!!!

I've played 1,000s of rounds of golf over the years, and never experienced anything quite like this!!   Unreal.........

What's in Paul's Bag:

• 5 weeks later...

Whether you get permission to play as a group of six or not, you are asking for trouble and I recommend against doing this.   I don't play country courses that allow this sort of thing, but I know ecactly how I would react if I got stuck behind your group. Your group probably had empty space ahead since it was a family golf outing with children running around........

I wouldn't have said a word....as soon as I caught your group, I would have driven ahead to the next hole........I'd even give you a smile and a wave as I passed by.  It's a good thing those @ssholes  didn't behind you didn't hurt anybody!!   As a dad...I'd be looking for blood if someone hurt one of my kids.

Yeah, that would have been fine. I didn't see it as asking for trouble, since it was a slow day and if we had split into two groups we would have held more people up instead of just allowing them to play through, which we did whenever we saw someone coming up behind us. I think we had let 3 groups through in the first 4 holes, and then didn't have anyone behind us until that incident. I'm glad no one was hit or hurt, especially the kids, but there's no sense in hitting balls at anyone like they did. No plans to do that again, though. It wasn't all that much fun. lol.

I'll try to make a long story rather short.  Got hooked up 25 years later with a grade-school Phys Ed teacher who was feared by all when we were kids.  Former college OL guy who was big to say the least, physically intimidating more like it.  As an adult, I realized he was a great guy, very personable and not intimidating at all.

We're on the 8th tee, a par-3 talking while waiting for the group in front of us.  Group rolls up behind us, we're still waiting on the kids in front of us.  Finally, coach (Phys Ed teacher) yells down to the green, 'hey guys can we pick it up a bit?'  Instant response from the kids, (probably late teens, early 20s) was, 'Hey F you old man, we paid our money and we'll play as fast or slow as we feel like playing.'

Coach went from zero to blown gasket by the time the last word reached his ears.  He took off after the boys like a madman.  They froze for a few seconds then seeing that coach was about 6' 6" and 300 llbs they dropped everything and RAN for the clubhouse!  #9 was a par-5 so they had to leg it about 600 yards to get off the course.

He yells back to us to go ahead and hit.  I wheeled his cart down to him. where he threw down a ball and finished the hole.  As we were moving toward #9 tee, coach picked up the kids clubs attached them to his cart somehow and said very calmly, 'I'll take these in to the clubhouse.  Hopefully the kids come back and play someday.'  What a guy.  Public school.  Retired after nearly 40 years in the same school system.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@randomzero Firstly, the group behind were idiots. Secondly, playing as a 6 ball is stupid. It is not faster to play one 6 ball instead of two 3 balls. I would get p*ssed if I seen 6 people (and then another 2 non players) or 8 people strolling up a fairway. Having to let 3 groups through in 4 holes is all the evidence you need to know it was wrong. When you let people through it isn't keeping up with play, it causes backlogs. It shows a lack of respect for other golfers and I wouldn't do it even if someone told me there was a 99% chance nobody was going to be behind me. The course is at fault for allowing this also.
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3724 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!