IGNORED

Wood/hybrid for pitch and run?

marvin
Note: This thread is 3773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE name="geauxforbroke" url="/t/71577/wood-hybrid-for-pitch-and-run/18#post_931274"] Care to elaborate?[/QUOTE] Just sarcasm. I believe that the 8 iron feels comfortable for a lot of people because, when playing from the proper distance tees, it is a club that is often used for approach shots on par 4's. The club you use most will be the club you're most comfortable with, and also the club in which you have to most good memories to remember. I feel that this is where the majority of the idea that the 8 iron is a better club comes from. That being said, I do love my 8 iron and my gap wedge for the reason that I stated beforehand. Gap wedge is common on some shorter holes at one course, and 8 iron is a standard approach on a par 4 for me otherwise.

No I get the sarcasm. I'm just curious if he believes all 8 irons are designed to be inherently better than any other iron.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks @geauxforbroke and @Pretzel. I am quickly finding that this is my most used iron. Just checked, it's the dirtiest club in my bag.

Drew and Kelsey were just joking, tough to see their faces without emoticons.

If it's not an MOI matched set of clubs it's also possible that your 8 iron has the closest to optimum MOI for your swing. Plus it's a length that's easy to handle anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Thanks @geauxforbroke and @Pretzel. I am quickly finding that this is my most used iron. Just checked, it's the dirtiest club in my bag.

Drew and Kelsey were just joking, tough to see their faces without emoticons.

If it's not an MOI matched set of clubs it's also possible that your 8 iron has the closest to optimum MOI for your swing. Plus it's a length that's easy to handle anyway.

My set is not MOI matched for me, but I think I just happens to currently fit my needs. They are all really comfortable to hit.

As of late, the 8i just seems to be the right club for most of my shots as far as distance is concerned.

The easiest clubs to hit are the 52 degree, PW, 9i, 8i, 7i.  Getting better with the 6i and 5i, but probably still need a few weeks of practice to get okay with them. I can't get the desired flights with the 4i (did it a few times) and 3i (did it once).

Good to know that the 8i is a generally used option. I feel that my hybrids or woods would have too much uncontrollable power to be of any good close up.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Probably because the 8-iron is made to be the best club in the bag. At least.. from what I hear.

First off you get Golfingdad was making a joke right?  To be clear the 8 iron is not made to be the best club in the bag.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Just sarcasm. I believe that the 8 iron feels comfortable for a lot of people because, when playing from the proper distance tees, it is a club that is often used for approach shots on par 4's. The club you use most will be the club you're most comfortable with, and also the club in which you have to most good memories to remember. I feel that this is where the majority of the idea that the 8 iron is a better club comes from.

That being said, I do love my 8 iron and my gap wedge for the reason that I stated beforehand. Gap wedge is common on some shorter holes at one course, and 8 iron is a standard approach on a par 4 for me otherwise.

First off you get Golfingdad was making a joke right?  To be clear the 8 iron is not made to be the best club in the bag.

Yeah, I was just being a goofball.  ;)  I think Pretzel is probably on to something though.  You likely use an 8-iron a lot.  It's right on the border between "short" and "mid" iron, so for a lot of people, it's possibly the longest club that they are really comfortable hitting.  And you can do a lot of different things with it.  Knock downs, low hooks around trees, chip shots, hit it high, just about anything.

For Seinfeld buffs (Babka episode) ... the 8 iron is like cinnamon. ;)

Note: This thread is 3773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!