IGNORED

Just one tip you'd pass on to a beginner...?

sooper8
Note: This thread is 3752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just learn the basics and practice the basic moves of golf. Don't overwhelm yourself with too much input. It will only confuse you. Try not to read to much golf tips from golf magazines. They to tend to confuse you. . Relax relax and relax. Try to eliminate tension from your body during your swing....starting with your mind. . "Release" means to RELAX and let everything go at impact. Your shoulders. Your arms. Your right leg (for righties). . When you feel you've got the basics. Than take some lessons to start fine tuning your swing.
In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Understand that the shot before has no bearing on the shot that follows. Each shot is its own independent event, and whether it's good or bad is up to you.

That, or get your weight forward.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try not to read to much golf tips from golf magazines. They to tend to confuse you.

Yeah don't start working on stuff that may have nothing to do with your game or isn't even factually correct to do.  We tend to call those magazines the "comics".

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Never pay over 25 bucks for a dozen golf balls !

For a new golfer, I'd drop that to $15.....

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Never pay over 25 bucks for a dozen golf balls !

[quote name="David in FL" url="/t/71591/just-one-tip-youd-pass-on-to-a-beginner/36#post_931676"]For a new golfer, I'd drop that to $15..... [/quote] I'd like to add maybe it's better to get the 100 golf ball for 10$ through eBay or Craigslist... You might need them.. You'll probably even get a pro v as a bonus and you can keep it for last..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

my first year, I was buying the red mesh bag of 24 Wilson new balls at Walmart for $10.      I must have gone through a half dozen bags of those balls - they're great for beginners !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Years ago, I asked my wife's grandfather (a plus-handicapper through his early 80s) this question. He told me he had asked the same question decades ago, and gave me the same response: "Hit the back of the ball with the front of the club." Truly a golf zen master. In that spirit, my tip is that, to break 100, you only need three clubs: one wood, one iron and one putter. Stay zen.

I am going to say practice hitting balls with the feet together drill.  Maintaining balance and proper transfer of weight can be introduced with this drill and get you started.  Lot's of online videos showing how to do it.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

I am going to say practice hitting balls with the feet together drill.  Maintaining balance and proper transfer of weight can be introduced with this drill and get you started.  Lot's of online videos showing how to do it.

Maybe this isn't the thread, but I wanted to practice using this drill and then it hit me that maybe this isn't really a good drill.. I mean ya it helps with balance, but then again the correct swing has 90% on the left foot at impact, so this drill really just ingrains in your swing the thing you are not trying to do.. It's funny because the first three swings i almost fell forward because of how much emphasis I try and put on having my weight on my left foot. Thoughts anyone on this drill?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

My tips revolves around 'expectations.'  You're not going to be good when you start playing.  Accept it.  None of us are tour pros, adjust your expectations accordingly.  Learn the game.  Play a lot.  Enjoy the experience.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Instinct is often incorrect when it comes to the golf swing. As someone previously posted, the equipment was designed to be used a certain way. If you can learn that way early on before too many bad habits are ingrained, all the other stuff might be easier to learn.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Ok only started this past year but have learned a thing a or two.

-Always try to play in a group

-Just get the ball in the air

-Slow down (Don't waste time, but actually take the time to line up your putts)

And most important enjoy it, getting frustrated and rushing it will only make your shots worse

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade Rocketballz Irons:  6-aw

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

Forget all the latest and greatest new equipment. Nothing new is going to make you a better player, only hard work, and a desire to improve.

Note: This thread is 3752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!