IGNORED

Video: guy takes swing as he falls into pool.

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Chris is a good guy, and the video proves a point.

BTW, conservation of angular momentum doesn't have much - if anything - to do with your downswing sequencing. I'm just stating that for the record, and not at anyone in particular… :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Chris is a good guy, and the video proves a point. BTW, conservation of angular momentum doesn't have much - if anything - to do with your downswing sequencing. I'm just stating that for the record, and not at anyone in particular… :D

I was debating putting this in the instruction forum. It's both entertaining and informative.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Okay, so since I don't know the first thing about what Erik said, I want to ask a question:

My first response after seeing the video was, "this illustrates just how much the lower body plays in swinging properly, because his downswing and follow through is all arms, wrists."

Anybody care to expand on that and point out how that statement is right/wrong or not specific enough?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

You have to have your feet on solid ground in order to rotate hips "properly" I guess he could turn them some in mid air but not near enough, maybe a skydiver would work better?

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Very interesting. An argument from the conservation of angular momentum does explain his movements though. (Not saying that it's got anything to do with "downswing sequencing" btw. I don't know what that phrase means.)

Look at how his lower body rotates in the opposite direction from what they would have had he been doing his swing while standing on solid ground. Initially when he starts falling he has no appreciable angular momentum. Therefore, when he tries to rotate his torso away from where the ball would be his lower body must rotate in the opposite direction, otherwise he would somehow have been able to make himself spin (i.e. pick up angular momentum) without any external force having acted on him. Same thing happens in reverse in the downswing (lower body rotates away from where his target would be, rather than towards as would happen usually).

I'm not even going to attempt to join in the angular momentum discussion, but I do have one question: Couldn't you get similar results if you swung a club while suspended with a harness or something?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Look at how his lower body rotates in the opposite direction from what they would have had he been doing his swing while standing on solid ground.

That's kind of the point. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Very interesting. An argument from the conservation of angular momentum does explain his movements though. (Not saying that it's got anything to do with "downswing sequencing" btw. I don't know what that phrase means.)

The angular momentum is another topic.  Erik just wanted it on "the record".  There are a group of instructors out there that think having the lead arm more "in" during the backswing or downswing creates more angular momentum.

Look at how his lower body rotates in the opposite direction from what they would have had he been doing his swing while standing on solid ground.

That's kind of the point. :)

Now that's a real reverse pivot ;-)

I'm not even going to attempt to join in the angular momentum discussion, but I do have one question: Couldn't you get similar results if you swung a club while suspended with a harness or something?

Erik could answer it better than I can but I would think it would look similar.  With the hips rotating towards the "target" on the backswing and rotating behind the golfer on the downswing.

Not sure what you mean.

That's the point of the video, to illustrate what would happen if we didn't have the ground to "react" off of.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!