IGNORED

Anybody here from Ireland or been there?

shortstop20
Note: This thread is 3738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow, thanks so much hopefulhacker, that's a huge help. I would certainly love to play a round with you and your friend. I will keep you posted. Cheers, Joel

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How far ahead of time do I need to book Lahinch and Ballybunion? A month? I assume I don't need to book real far ahead for the less prestigious courses. Is a week sufficient? We will be in Ireland from May 16-23rd.

- Joel

I'll look into the booking times and get back Shortstop, I know the timesheet for members in Ballybunion only opens 2 weeks in advance but I'm guessing you could book further in advance to be safe. If you are planning to play mornings or mid afternoon there won't be a big demand in May. An evening slot will be most in demand. I will happily make a few calls and bookings for you closer to the time if you want. I have just arranged a round in Portmarnock Hotel & Links course for next Thursday with a member, I'll take a few pics for you and post.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefulhacker, we are looking at renting an apartment for a few days while we are in Dublin. It's in the city center which will be great for visiting shops and pubs. We won't have a car while in Dublin. I haven't decided whether I'm going to play Portmarnock, The Island or Corballis yet(maybe even two of them). I see there's public transit available but I'm thinking I might be better off hitching a taxi to the course?

- Joel

Hopefulhacker, we are looking at renting an apartment for a few days while we are in Dublin. It's in the city center which will be great for visiting shops and pubs. We won't have a car while in Dublin. I haven't decided whether I'm going to play Portmarnock, The Island or Corballis yet(maybe even two of them). I see there's public transit available but I'm thinking I might be better off hitching a taxi to the course?

Hey Shortstop,

Staying in the city is the best idea, however it does create a bit of a problem in terms of getting to the courses as they are a half an hours - 40 mins drive from the center.

Taxi's are quite expensive over here, that trip will cost you approx €40 euro each way.... It's a bit excessive if you ask me.

Car rental would be my advice, you could rent a car for 3 days for about €40 for the 3 days (as long as you don't mind driving a small European car :-D ) and it may come in handy for a non golf journey during your stay.

Public Transport is an option, pretty cheap and you will get to see some of the sites along the way. The only thing is that it will add another 30mins onto your journey and depending on what transport you get.... a short taxi journey may be required as well.

As another alternative to all that, if I am available for a game, I have no problem collecting you and doing the driving.

My house is 10mins from the city center, so it wouldn't be any hassle to pick you up.

One slight issue is that I am changing jobs shortly and I will be moving from a very golf friendly employer to one that isn't as friendly. So my chances of being available have diminished somewhat, but I'll still do my best to free myself and another mate for a 3 ball if you want.

I played Pormarnock Hotel & Links last week, the course is in very nice condition, you will enjoy it!

Edit: Haven't a clue what is going on with the font size change, can't seem to fix it

Hey Shortstop,

Staying in the city is the best idea, however it does create a bit of a problem in terms of getting to the courses as they are a half an hours - 40 mins drive from the center.

Taxi's are quite expensive over here, that trip will cost you approx €40 euro each way.... It's a bit excessive if you ask me.

Car rental would be my advice, you could rent a car for 3 days for about €40 for the 3 days (as long as you don't mind driving a small European car ) and it may come in handy for a non golf journey during your stay.

Public Transport is an option, pretty cheap and you will get to see some of the sites along the way. The only thing is that it will add another 30mins onto your journey and depending on what transport you get.... a short taxi journey may be required as well.

As another alternative to all that, if I am available for a game, I have no problem collecting you and doing the driving.

My house is 10mins from the city center, so it wouldn't be any hassle to pick you up.

One slight issue is that I am changing jobs shortly and I will be moving from a very golf friendly employer to one that isn't as friendly. So my chances of being available have diminished somewhat, but I'll still do my best to free myself and another mate for a 3 ball if you want.

I played Pormarnock Hotel & Links last week, the course is in very nice condition, you will enjoy it!

Edit: Haven't a clue what is going on with the font size change, can't seem to fix it

I'll probably have to go with public transport (or with you) then, I'm not to keen on driving on the left side of the road my first time in the middle of Dublin. :-O

I will continue to keep you posted.

Cheers.

- Joel

I'll probably have to go with public transport (or with you) then, I'm not to keen on driving on the left side of the road my first time in the middle of Dublin.

I will continue to keep you posted.

Cheers.

Just close your eyes and it'll be fine, let the other cars get out of your way. :-P

Public Transport works too: Just a little bit longer but when you factor everything in.

I would advise getting the DART (Dublin Area Train), it goes from the City Center and runs all  along the coast up to Portmarnock.

As it runs along the coast, you'll take in some nice scenery  along the way.

Again, if I'm free for a round on the day, I'll save you the hassle and I'll collect you if you want.

Note: This thread is 3738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!