IGNORED

16-Year-Old Lydia Ko Dumps 11-Year Swing Coach

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Because it worked so well for Michelle Wie ;-)

Barely a week removed from signing with IMG teenage sensation Lydia Ko has fired the only swing coach she'd known and according to her new agent, is in the market for a full-time swing coach .

Quote:

Wilson, who worked with the 16-year-old Ko for 11 years, issued a statement saying he was "incredibly disappointed" the partnership is over.

Michael Yim, her agent at IMG, said Monday that Ko worked with various teachers at the Leadbetter Academy in Florida before going to Taiwan for the Swinging Skirts tournament, an event she won two weeks ago in her second start as a professional. Kim said Ko plans to meet with other teachers before deciding on a full-time coach.

Ko has won five professional tournaments — four as an amateur — while coached by Wilson, who said it had "been an honor to help develop Lydia into the No. 4 golfer in the world."

"When I first met her the golf clubs were taller than she was and she didn't know the first thing about a driver or a putter, but now she has one of the most envied swings in the women's golf world," Wilson said.

Now she has split from her longtime coach, Guy Wilson, and will be working with David Leadbetter according to a tweet from Golf Channel's Damon Hack.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't get it.  This seems ... illogical.

By the way:  How much does it suck to be a journalist with the last name "Hack?"  I feel like the only possible worse name would be something like Joe Plagerizer.  (That's almost as appropriately bad as being a baseball pitcher names "Balfour" or "Walk.")

Ugh. Anyone but Leadbetter.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't get it.  This seems ... illogical.

Well part of it makes sense, she's with IMG, Leadbetter is tight with them and he'll be close by since she's moving to Florida.  Now it could be a thing where she is actually working with a Leadbetter guy at their facility but "officially" she's with Leads.

She could have also done what McIlroy did and have her coach travel with her, obviously Rory has a little more $$$ for that luxury.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Ugh. Anyone but Leadbetter.

Had the same thought.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Someone should give her CH3's cell number, so she can ask him what the long term experience is like. I hope she has fun not being allowed to straighten her back knee on the backswing anymore :doh:

Constantine

Another promising NZ amateur Danny Lee has struggled since turning pro and immediately ditching the old coach that got them to the top and taking on a new high profile snake oil swing coach. I just hope Leadbetter doesn't ruin Ko's promising career.

Well part of it makes sense, she's with IMG, Leadbetter is tight with them and he'll be close by since she's moving to Florida.  Now it could be a thing where she is actually working with a Leadbetter guy at their facility but "officially" she's with Leads.

She could have also done what McIlroy did and have her coach travel with her, obviously Rory has a little more $$$ for that luxury.

OK, I suppose that there are a lot of logistics I may not be considering.  Where she lives, how often she'll be playing, and where, etc, etc.

But if there was ever a time for "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" it seems like it would be now.  Unlike Wie, She's been on fire for 2 years now, winning seemingly all the time, already against the top competition several times, so it just seems odd that she would pick now to make that type of change.

She seems awfully talented.  Leadbetter or not ... I hope it works out for her.

By the way:  How much does it suck to be a journalist with the last name "Hack?"  I feel like the only possible worse name would be something like Joe Plagerizer.  (That's almost as appropriately bad as being a baseball pitcher names "Balfour" or "Walk.")

How about a golfer named DUFFner :banana:

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Quote:
But if there was ever a time for "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" it seems like it would be now.

I agree with you, but I suppose when a much-hyped sportsman or woman signs on with an elite firm of representatives, those same representatives can offer million$ of rea$ons for doing things their way, utilizing the experts with whom their firm has chosen to form business partnerships.

Hope it all comes to fruition...but it all seems a bit sad. A bit like reading about McIlroy ruminating on his "brand" relationships earlier this year - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/sports/golf/the-branding-of-rory-mcilroy.html?pagewanted=all - at a time when he may have been better occupied ruminating on his golf.

I understand that to these prodigiously talented, professional golfers, there must be an obvious desire to maximize all possible income streams during the peak of their playing years, which coincide with the peak of their earning capabilities.

From a strictly golf perspective, though, it seems very strange. As you said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Seems obvious to an amateur golfer. Whether it's clubs, a coach, a ball, or whatever else - it you're winning whilst using it, why would you decide to dump it? It makes one suspect there is a business decision in here somewhere, as opposed to a strictly golf decision.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if Ko offered to relocated Wilson ?  He does all the hard work, then gets dumped when the big chips start rolling in.

If nothing else, at least he can put her on his resume for his accomplishments..........

• Administrator

If it ain't broke… break it?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Can you do with instructors like the thing you do with golf club endorsements? Endorse one brand and use another? :-P

Do any potential superstars successfully bypass I M(uckup, essup, utilate, align, asticate) G(olfers)?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
Has Leadbetter had any really successful pupils since Faldo? (was Nicky Price one of his??)

Suzann does pretty well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Honest question here:

What is it about Leadbetter that makes him so bad?

I get that he hasn't seemed to be able to do much good for Michelle Wie, but I don't really know anything about the guy and his teachings other than he's famous, and people on here really seem to dislike him.  The same basically applies to Hank Haney and Jim McLean.  I know very little about them and their teachings.

Note: This thread is 3741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!