IGNORED

golfers with eyeglasses

late347
Note: This thread is 3747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was at the driving range with a pro nonetheless. I was hitting irons ok for my skill level, I was a little bit recovering from an earlier influenza also.

The problem for me was: basically in golfing, I've been using softt contact lenses. Sometimes for whatever reason this lens kind of... makes me lose focus of the ball (i.e. the picture isn't as clear as it is normalluy, when just walking about.) This was with daily lenses. What a person must do in this case would be to blink or close eyes for some time and re-open them.

Sometimes, it can be also the case that if you squint your eyes even a little bit with the contact lenses, then the picture may become foggy (or I suspect this could be the case for me, I dunno)

How have you guys managed this situation if therees anybody else in similar predicament? I have mild-ish myopia and astigmatism, so in theory I think I could still see the ball without any optical aids, at my feet (it's just that I would need glasses to see anywhere further on the golf course)

Do you have specific eyeglasses for golfing needs, if you dont use contact lenses?

I was at the driving range with a pro nonetheless. I was hitting irons ok for my skill level, I was a little bit recovering from an earlier influenza also.

The problem for me was: basically in golfing, I've been using softt contact lenses. Sometimes for whatever reason this lens kind of... makes me lose focus of the ball (i.e. the picture isn't as clear as it is normalluy, when just walking about.) This was with daily lenses. What a person must do in this case would be to blink or close eyes for some time and re-open them.

Sometimes, it can be also the case that if you squint your eyes even a little bit with the contact lenses, then the picture may become foggy (or I suspect this could be the case for me, I dunno)

How have you guys managed this situation if therees anybody else in similar predicament? I have mild-ish myopia and astigmatism, so in theory I think I could still see the ball without any optical aids, at my feet (it's just that I would need glasses to see anywhere further on the golf course)

Do you have specific eyeglasses for golfing needs, if you dont use contact lenses?

I use prescription Oakley M-Frames for golf, cycling, etc.  They give really accurate vision and keep the sun out. On cloudy days I just were my normal glasses.  I recommend them.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually wear glasses, but use daily contacts to play. I also have a slight astigmatism. I would try different brands of lenses before going the glasses route. I can play fine with my glasses, but there is a slight depth perception adjustment to get used to and they are a pain on sweaty days.

What brand are you using, Acuvue?

If you opt for glasses, definitely get glasses online. I saved so much money buying online. Brick and mortar stores at least 2 typically 3 times more expensive.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I play with glasses and don't have any issues with seeing the ball either at my feet or out in the fairway (or more commonly, the rough).

I do have soft contacts that I used to wear while playing hockey or running, but to be honest I've never considered them for golfing since I do just fine with my glasses on.

Russ B.

I have thick glasses - probably should get bi-focals ... but won't do it as everyone I talk to says bifocals mess up vision for golf.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I don't think wearing glasses influences my game in any negative way except the aggravation of the lenses getting wet on rainy or misty days.

(Then I hate glasses).

If it gets too bad I just play without them. I can see fairly well without glasses until the ball gets out to around 175 to 200 yards away. Then I'm probably not going to be able to follow the ball very well, especially once it's on or near the ground.

You get use to it. If your head stays steady it isn't much of a problem.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I need a new RX. Past 130 or so yards, I lose a white ball easily, yellow balls I can see out about 180 or so. Getting old suck sometimes...LOL

I had lasik a month ago and it was the best thing I could have ever did for my vision. The procedure took about 8 mins total and I was playing golf 10 hours later with 20/20 vision. It was amazing. Best think I could have ever done for my golf.

On another note orange is by far the easier color to track during it's full flight on a golf ball in my opinion. Yesterday I was on the course with my mother, who has never played before, and see couldn't the flight of red or white golf balls I was hitting, but when I pulled out the orange golf ball and hit it, she noted how she could definitely see it all the way to the green now.

Similar eye situation as the OP.  I have to wear distance glasses or every shot disappears outside about 50 yards.  I could use bifocals, but chose the slimmer lenses so I can see UNDER the glasses when I putt and hit full shots.  Helps with keeping my head in a solid position as well.

Obviously, I can now see my ball fly and land anywhere on the course.  Mostly because it doesn't go very far anymore!!!  The only thing I really miss is wearing good quality sunglasses when I play.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Just my contacts......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Well I havent tried the golf with my own eyeglasses yet, only softt contacts so far. Basically i sometimes also get probably, dry eyeballs, when outside in windy weather, with my contact lenses. This is what probably happened to me at the local golfing range. Monthly soft contacts ive never had problems with when playing indoors sports (i.e. Tennis badminton) I will probably go to the eyedoctor in january some time (it's close to my yearly checkup - contact wearers should get yearly checkups) i will definitely check those oakley type eyeglasses. My regular glasses costed like 300€ a pair (best type of lense features). I originally bought the glasses for car-driving purposes so theyre pretty ugly glasses but good peripheral vision. I can barely drive car without glasses so i imagine, my golfing will not be so good without any optical aids.

Note: This thread is 3747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!