IGNORED

What Are Your 2014 Golf Goals? Official Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My goal is to participate in the US Open.  I have just under a month and a half left to fulfill this goal. I already fulfilled one goal of shooting a 65 yesterday at a 73 course rating track. Another goal is to be at least a +2 handicap by the end of the summer.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My goal is to participate in the US Open.  I have just under a month and a half left to fulfill this goal. I already fulfilled one goal of shooting a 65 yesterday at a 73 course rating track. Another goal is to be at least a +2 handicap by the end of the summer.

That's awesome.  Do you mean that your goal is to participate in the entire process, i.e., to play in a local qualifier?  Or, is it your goal to actually qualify for Pinehurst?

Either way, good luck and keep us posted!

Hopefully they'll run that all day long show on TGC from each of the sectional qualifying sites again.  I didn't think I'd care about a bunch of people I'd never heard of trying to qualify for the Open, but I was wrong.  It was very compelling. :beer:

That's awesome.  Do you mean that your goal is to participate in the entire process, i.e., to play in a local qualifier?  Or, is it your goal to actually qualify for Pinehurst?

Either way, good luck and keep us posted!

Hopefully they'll run that all day long show on TGC from each of the sectional qualifying sites again.  I didn't think I'd care about a bunch of people I'd never heard of trying to qualify for the Open, but I was wrong.  It was very compelling.

Yeah I firmly believe I can make it to Pinehurst.  I understand the odds are not in my favor at all, but I know I can make it one day, might as well be this year!

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2014 Goals:

- To gain control over the low point of my swing

- To work with one swing direction and stop flip flopping

- To become a Stupid Monkey and KISS

- To play at least once every other week and NOT worry about my swing--to have fun

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

2014 Goals - get fitted for new driver - improve off of the tee. Too many ob's (I'll hit a wedge if I have too:-D) - currently a 12, get to single digit HC - improve GIR from last year

In The Bag
Wishon 919 Driver 9.5
Wishon 4W 16.5
Wishon  21 degree hybrid
Sterling SL 6 - SW
Seemore CS FGP

• 1 month later...

Amending this goal, because I think I can get more serious about real goals.

From the time of this last post and now, I have done quite bit. I made the last of any equipment changes which will not change until these goals are met. I have also setup a camera (30fps), so I can post more videos on my swing thread to get advice and comments.

My goals this year (possibly bleeding into the next, or more) are to:

1) Solidify my drives (straighter and less than 10% fades/slices (learn to draw), stay relaxed and develop the same feel)

Will work seriously on this the next month or two to the year end. Getting there, but I still have the fade when I get tired. Direction also is something I need to solidify through Keys 4 and 5 with the driver, but that might take another couple years or so.

2) Solidify all my irons up to 9i to at least 60% consistency in distance and direction (6 out of 10 shots within +/-5 yards on the course)

Working on keys 3 to 5 with the shorter irons.

Next month or two.

3) Start hitting 8i to 6i to at least 50% consistency (5 out of 10 shots within +/-10 yards on the course)

Working on keys 1 and 2 on the longer irons.

Starting in another 3 months till mid year, then maybe advance to keys 3 and 4?

5i and 4i are hoped to be for next year.

4) Start hitting 18 and 21 degree Hybrids to at least 50% consistency (5 out of 10 shots within +/-15 yards on the course)

Starting on keys 3 and 4 with the hybrids.

Starting in another 5 months till year end.

5) Learn to pitch and chip properly

Working on keys 3 to 5, and method of 12 (need to find an instructor for this?). Working on plowing through rough and Bermuda grass with a consistent stroke. Plan (maybe pushed to next year) to learn to compensate for rough depth.

Starting now, but figure it will take me a year or more to learn this properly.

6) Learn to use the 50 and 60 degree more effectively

Starting in another 4 months or so, will take a look after I get goal 2.

7) Start to learn Aimpoint for better putting

Starting next month.

In short, get to 2.25 keys with a commensurate short game. No handicap goals this year, since there is a lot to learn.

Some of my goals are about begin consistent with irons. If I use the Ping i20 clubs as my model, then I have met many of the goals.

1) This goal is now achieved. I still have bad drives, but my main shot is relatively straight or a slight draw and my carry is longer.

2) and )3 are met using Ping i20 clubs

4) is met

5) is partially met. Plowing through rough on pitch shots is not longer an issue.

6) is met

So, the reason why they will remain my goals is because I want to revise them to hitting the MP52 with the same consistency.

I just had the MP52 flattened to 1.5 degrees flat, and they perform much better. I still need to get used to them. I think they were 2 degrees upright. They were tweaked about 3.5 degrees. I tended to pull shots and shots would roll a long way even with the 8i. After the change, even range balls stopped close to the landing positions with the 8i,9i and PW. The 7i to 4i still roll, but not as much as before. Only tried it on the grass range. They also don't hurt my wrist on impact anymore.

I am working towards getting "3 keys", I am not at 2.25 yet, but feel like I am on the verge of being able to set a higher goal.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Here are some good ones for me:

1. Get clubs fit

2. Establish official handicap

3. Hit fairways 50% in one round

4. Card one round with no 3-putts

5. Compete in first tournament

And, if any of those seemed too easy ....

6. Not swear audibly.

Wow. So far off to a horrible start. Would have liked to think I could have gotten one of the first two dealt with.

Oh well, it's only May.

1.)  Get a handicap card.

2.)  Enter a formal competition of some sort IF I get to a point where I think I won't embarrass myself.

1. Obtain an official handicap. 2. Learn to hit a driver straight off the tee 3. Manage to use fairway woods consistently. Long Term goal by the end of the year 4. Drop my handicap from 28 to 18

I have three main goals, listed by the order in which I hope to accomplish them (with one helping the next and so on):

1- I want to gain more consistency off of the tee. I hit it long enough with the 3-wood that it works for me, but it's always nice to be able to have the extra yards from the driver and still be in the fairway in better position.

2- I hope to get to a handicap of 1 or less, which increased consistency with tee shots should help me accomplish. It also shouldn't hurt that I get unlimited free golf and range balls at a course 5 minutes from my house since I work there now.

3- I hope to play well in the state tournament and help my high school win it. We won my freshman year, but placed second the past two years by only a few strokes.

Same goal since 2011, when I got the hcap to 5.2 for 1 week (using Yahoo not GHIN then). Under 5.0. Goin the wrong way cuz of a chronic hand injury but ever-hopeful.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• 1 month later...
1. Break 90

2. Handicap index 20 or better

3. Consistently (at least 1x per month) upload a video to evolvr (by which I also mean that I have done the work to make a new video worth uploading).

Accomplished #1 tonight.  Was going to do a few holes at my local muni after dinner.  Playing well, so played all 18 past sunset. Shot an 86. :dance:

Thank you, @cbrian (evolvr)!

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

My goals are well stated.............I hope not to get worse!  LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Accomplished #1 tonight.  Was going to do a few holes at my local muni after dinner.  Playing well, so played all 18 past sunset. Shot an 86.

Thank you, @cbrian (evolvr)!

an 86 for a 29 handicapper is amazing, congratulations!!!

I suppose getting my handicap down to 10. It's a short year (8 months) for me. Another would be to break 80 before the end of the year. Both are doable with a good leg strength, and practice regimen.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• 1 month later...

With a hectic work schedule and a newborn child on the way in March, my goals for 2014 are going to be fairly modest, but we go anyway...

1. Maintain a single digit index all year. I am currently at my all-time low of 7.7 and I don't see that dropping significantly with increasing demands on my time. Nonetheless, I'd like to be able to continue to play consistently enough to stay in that 8-9 range.

2. Post 30 (or more) rounds this year. Without my wife throwing me out of the house, I should add. I'm currently playing about once a week, and I figure that cutting that in half is reasonable compromise, lol.

3. Shoot 75 or better on a regulation course. My all-time low is 76, which I've done 5 times. Would be great to shave a stroke (or two) off that in 2014.

4. Continue to play better "pressure" golf in tournaments, match play etc. Before last year, the biggest frustration I had with my game was that I consistently played worse than my index in tournament rounds. Simply put, I was a lousy pressure player. I turned a corner in 2013, starting with a match play tournament where I shot in the 70's twice and made it to the finals in my flight. I then proceeded to shoot a 76 (net 67) in our final men's club tournament of the season this December. On a day in which the course was set up very tough, it was the best net score by 3 strokes in a field of 150+ players.

So there you have it: My goals for 2014.

I just want to bump this thread to say that I achieved one of my goals for 2014 - This last Saturday's round with The Sand Trap guys at Encinitas Ranch was my 30th posted round for the year. 20 of those rounds have come since our son was born in April, so I guess the real credit should go to my wife for being an awesome lady and understanding the importance of nurturing my golf addiction!

Drop my handicap by at least 2

Improve GIR's by at least 2 (approach shots gonna be the thing)

Play at least 10 new golf courses

At least one round even par

Change my short game dramatically

I think I did all of this - Except the even round at par - Close, but not quite (2 over included 3 penalties on one round), though I did play a difficult 9 hole at 1 under.  And all my games I'm getting really confident in just playing most holes in regulation as a reachable expectation.  Season is not over yet

Handicap dropped a lot more than two (12-7) due to the other items - pretty much hitting straighter (I've always been very on at my distances, so getting the face under control was a REALLY big effect - so is more regular clean contact on all my clubs.  I think that current number is temporary and I'm due to make a big move back up.  I don't belong here.  If I stay objective and look at what I really do during a round, 12 is a pretty good number for my typical game, I'd like to stay 9 or 10 if I can stay focused.....  Where I am right now I like to call the "you are gonna lose money" region.  I'm giving up too many strokes in handicap and my ability can't support that over a longer stretch....  ; )

1 - Improved GIRs (due to improving approach shots)  I have no idea of the number, but much better I'm thinking

2 - short game - thanks to the chipping and pitching info, frankly, found right here on this site.  Chipping especially, I can't believe how accurate that action can be, I prefer it to my putting.

Playing a different course every weekend pretty much.  Liking that a lot.

I HAVE to get more comfy putting.  Clearly that's next.

I think the wheels on my really good recent run of golf rounds have fallen off, last night my long shots were not as consistently straight as they have been.  Just couldn't focus on the shot

sigh......it was a lot of fun while it lasted...  back to the range.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!