IGNORED

The Shaving Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got my stuff in today, and just finished my first shave with it... I was a bit tentative at first and worried that I might get a cut or two, but everything went smoothly. I gotta say, I'm really liking this method; don't think I'll go back to cartridges again.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right there with you both. I'd been talking about going "old school" for a while and my wife bought me a trial kit from "The Art of Shaving" that had shaving oil, a badger brush, shaving soap/cup, and the after shave balm. WOW - what a difference just with that and my regular razor. Wanted to still have the full experience and got a Merkur safety razor and love it. Takes me back to when I would watch my grandfather and dad go through their routine. The shave is unreal and the ritual is sort of fun.

[quote name="tristanhilton85" url="/t/71697/the-shaving-thread/54#post_962600"]Got my stuff in today, and just finished my first shave with it... I was a bit tentative at first and worried that I might get a cut or two, but everything went smoothly. I gotta say, I'm really liking this method; don't think I'll go back to cartridges again. [/quote] So would both of you say that the DE gives a better shave than the cartridge?

Colin P.

So would both of you say that the DE gives a better shave than the cartridge?

This is about as good of a shave as I've had, and it's just my first with this the DE... I think as I get the technique right and find the right blades it'll get even better.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Yeah, they say you have to do a bit of testing with different sharpnesses before you find the one that's right for your beard.

Colin P.

I never go for the clean shaven look as it makes me resemble a 12 year old child. Always "unshaven" look.

I use a Philips QT4075 with built in vacuum. It's an average shaver but had the benefit of not getting shouted at for leaving beard all over the bathroom. It's a pain to shave the upper lip to the nose line though.

I do wet shave for Movember each year normally and last year brought a King of Shaves razor, shaving gel and sensitive moisturiser. The moisturiser was fantastic and so was the shaving gel but the razor clogged after a single pass over a 1in area of 3 day old stubble. Worst razor I've every used in my life.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Yeah, they say you have to do a bit of testing with different sharpnesses before you find the one that's right for your beard.

Yup. There are tons of different style razors and blades and it can be a bit confusing where to start. I found a few good resources online to help and I think I settled on a pretty good little setup to start.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

So would both of you say that the DE gives a better shave than the cartridge?

Yes for sure. I was surprised that the hype I'd heard was for real. I'm still playing around with different blade options but overall it's consistently a better shave than ever before.

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

Note: This thread is 3693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!