IGNORED

Moving to Charlotte, NC - Excited! Need Opinions.

Fairway_CY
Note: This thread is 3659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So... after living my entire life in New Jersey (except for 8 months living just over the border in Pennsylvania)... I was presented an opportunity with work to relocate to the Charlotte area.  I've spent 7 days down there over the last 2-3 weeks, getting acclimated, and I'm already in love with the area.  My wife and kids will be here in New Jersey until July, allowing the kids to finish out the school year here.

I'll be temporarily renting a room in Charlotte until I can find us a decent enough home to rent in that area, hopefully by March.  We don't want to buy just yet because, we aren't sure which areas to avoid and which area would be best for my job.

Anyway... this will give me a bunch of time to do nothing but play golf.  I'll be bored just about every day since I'll be down there alone.  This leaves me no choice but to find a club and play until I can't play anymore.

So, what I need from anybody who lives in the area or knows the area... suggestions for a club.  I've found a handful I'm interested in.  Location isn't really a factor right now.  As long as it is within an hour of Downtown Charlotte... I'm willing to play there.

Price - Not looking to spend more than $175 a month.

Location - Within 1 hour of Downtown Charlotte.

Type - I prefer a parkland style course over a links style course.

I'm really looking for a course that has an established membership and/or a men's golf league.  I like competition.  I can play just to post my best score... but I find that I play much better and I'm more focused when I'm playing in a competition of some kind.

Anyway... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If nobody is from the area or knows the area at all... no worries.  I just figured it couldn't hurt to post here.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to the neighborhood, you will enjoy all year round golfing. By the way Charlotte does not have downtown, Charlotte has uptown.

We have tons of clubs to choose from, but you should check Fort Mill Golf Club. It is nice walking course with front 9 holes being park and the back 9 totally something else.

• Upvote 1

Driver:     TaylorMade Jetspeed, stiff

Fws:        Taylormade RBZ 5 wood

Hybrids:   TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 rescue 3H

Irons:      Callaway X2 Hot Pro

Wedges:  Cleveland CG16 54*/14

Ping Glide WS 58*

Putter:     TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs

Hi Jake... thanks for the suggestion!  I did not know that about Charlotte.  I could have sworn the signs in the neighborhood I'm staying (Wesley Heights) said Downtown Charlotte.  I'll have to stop calling it that!

I'll check out Fort Mill.  I've read that it's a nice course.  I'll be back in the area early next week, so... hopefully the weather cooperates and I'll be able to play then!

CY

Career Bests

+1 on the Ft. Mill recommendation. The group that owns them has four other courses in the area, Springfield, Lancaster, and Chester. All in South Carolina, just over the border. I live in the Ballantyne area and Ft. Mill and Springfield are about 20 minutes away. Very involved golf groups at both courses and some pretty good players. You would have no trouble finding a competitive game. Memberships are very reasonable. Courses are in good shape and well run. Welcome to Charlotte, you're going to love it here.

+1 on the Ft. Mill recommendation. The group that owns them has four other courses in the area, Springfield, Lancaster, and Chester. All in South Carolina, just over the border. I live in the Ballantyne area and Ft. Mill and Springfield are about 20 minutes away. Very involved golf groups at both courses and some pretty good players. You would have no trouble finding a competitive game. Memberships are very reasonable. Courses are in good shape and well run.

Welcome to Charlotte, you're going to love it here.

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to getting out there.  Springfield looks really, really nice.

CY

Career Bests

• 2 months later...
Thanks!  I'm looking forward to getting out there.  Springfield looks really, really nice. CY

So have you played Ft.Mill and Springfield yet? If so, what did you think?

I haven't played those 2 yet.  I've played:

- Verdict Ridge

- Emerald Lake

- Tega Cay

- Pinetuck

- Eagle Chase

The only one that I won't go back to is Pinetuck.  I loved the Eagle Chase layout.  Verdict Ridge is a beast.  Emerald Lake is fair.  Tega Cay has the potential to be a nice place, but I found the membership there to be kind of rude.

I'll be looking into Fort Mill and Springfield later in the month.

CY

Career Bests

I haven't played those 2 yet.  I've played:  - Verdict Ridge  - Emerald Lake  - Tega Cay  - Pinetuck   - Eagle Chase The only one that I won't go back to is Pinetuck.  I loved the Eagle Chase layout.  Verdict Ridge is a beast.  Emerald Lake is fair.  Tega Cay has the potential to be a nice place, but I found the membership there to be kind of rude.   I'll be looking into Fort Mill and Springfield later in the month. CY

All the courses really start plying more "normal" once the Bermuda starts to green up and grow again, usually late April, early May. We need warm nights and that's not going to be happening for awhile. Looks like you're not afraid to travel a bit to play. A couple of other good ones to try are Red Bridge (Locust, NC) and Edgewater near Lancaster SC. Usually you can get some good deals and both are worth the trip.

All the courses really start plying more "normal" once the Bermuda starts to green up and grow again, usually late April, early May. We need warm nights and that's not going to be happening for awhile. Looks like you're not afraid to travel a bit to play. A couple of other good ones to try are Red Bridge (Locust, NC) and Edgewater near Lancaster SC. Usually you can get some good deals and both are worth the trip.

I got out to play Fort Mill today.  I enjoyed it, even though I played like crap.  It will be much nicer in a few weeks, I'd assume.  A lot of dormant grass with dead, cut grass lines throughout the fairways.

The front nine was nice.  The back nine was a little different.  The 12th was kind of a mess from all the rain running down towards that part of the course.  I loved the 10th hole... and I think the 2nd hole has a lot of potential, but I played it from the water, so...

Overall... I enjoyed it and I'm seriously considering a membership there.  $150 a month isn't bad and I can definitely walk that course.

Thanks for the recommendation!

CY

Career Bests

I got out to play Fort Mill today.  I enjoyed it, even though I played like crap.  It will be much nicer in a few weeks, I'd assume.  A lot of dormant grass with dead, cut grass lines throughout the fairways.   The front nine was nice.  The back nine was a little different.  The 12th was kind of a mess from all the rain running down towards that part of the course.  I loved the 10th hole... and I think the 2nd hole has a lot of potential, but I played it from the water, so...  Overall... I enjoyed it and I'm seriously considering a membership there.  $150 a month isn't bad and I can definitely walk that course. Thanks for the recommendation! CY

Glad you had a chance to play Ft. Mill. Agree it is a fantastic walking course. Don't worry, once the grass starts growing again it will be much nicer. Unfortunately, the rough will also be growing! It's been a brutal winter and most courses are pretty soggy - they are all a lot more fun in a few weeks. I've found one of the best parts of the Ft. Mill membership (I actually do the joint Springfield/Ft. Mill one) is that you get reduced rates at all the Springs owned courses. They are all a lot of fun. It's a tough deal to beat. Maybe I'll see you out there one of these days!

I got out to play Fort Mill today.  I enjoyed it, even though I played like crap.  It will be much nicer in a few weeks, I'd assume.  A lot of dormant grass with dead, cut grass lines throughout the fairways.

The front nine was nice.  The back nine was a little different.  The 12th was kind of a mess from all the rain running down towards that part of the course.  I loved the 10th hole... and I think the 2nd hole has a lot of potential, but I played it from the water, so...

Overall... I enjoyed it and I'm seriously considering a membership there.  $150 a month isn't bad and I can definitely walk that course.

Thanks for the recommendation!

CY

Glad you liked it. 12th is always a mess after rain, it kind of a canyon and all the close by waters flow through it. I wish they could do something to it.

I try to walk there several time a week. Maybe we play together some day.

Driver:     TaylorMade Jetspeed, stiff

Fws:        Taylormade RBZ 5 wood

Hybrids:   TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 rescue 3H

Irons:      Callaway X2 Hot Pro

Wedges:  Cleveland CG16 54*/14

Ping Glide WS 58*

Putter:     TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs

Note: This thread is 3659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!