IGNORED

First "Real" Par 4 Eagle!

mdl
Note: This thread is 3769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

By "real" I mean non-driveable.  Number 7 at Castle Creek in Escondido, CA (NE San Diego county).  Listed as 408 from the back tees on the card, but from the google earth shot below looks more like it plays in the 380s down the center.  Anyway, I mashed a driver over the tree partially blocking the view of the right side of the fairway, drew it back a little to end up mid-right of the fairway about 65 yards out.  Hit a perfect partial 60˚.  Had a playing partner up near the green who said it didn't even clank in, just rolled up at the end and would've stopped a foot or two past if it hadn't dropped!

Hit my tee shot on the ensuing par 3 to about 6 feet, though I misread the green and lipped out the birdie and missed going -3 over two holes, neither a par 5!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

By "real" I mean non-driveable.  Number 7 at Castle Creek in Escondido, CA (NE San Diego county).  Listed as 408 from the back tees on the card, but from the google earth shot below looks more like it plays in the 380s down the center.  Anyway, I mashed a driver over the tree partially blocking the view of the right side of the fairway, drew it back a little to end up mid-right of the fairway about 65 yards out.  Hit a perfect partial 60˚.  Had a playing partner up near the green who said it didn't even clank in, just rolled up at the end and would've stopped a foot or two past if it hadn't dropped!

Hit my tee shot on the ensuing par 3 to about 6 feet, though I misread the green and lipped out the birdie and missed going -3 over two holes, neither a par 5!

Non-driveable??? Sez who???

I am sure some of the "big hitters" around the TST could drive that one easily. :-P

Really though, Congrats.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I am sure some of the "big hitters" around the TST could drive that one easily.

Really though, Congrats.

Thanks.  Also birdied a pretty tight super uphill par 5 too where one of the marshalls fully stopped, asked admiringly if my (other best of the day) drive was my tee shot, then sat and watched my approach and asked admiringly again if the hybrid I then hit the green with was a 3h or a 4h (it was my 19˚, so more like 2-2.5h).  Those days are fun B-)

Yeah, this hole definitely backs up the contention some guys make on those threads that even on dead straight holes the card distances (at least on non par 3s) are often inflated.  I got up to my ball after walking off 25 paces from a guy who lasered his ball at 90 yards out and was wondering what sprinkler head I hit cause according to the card I must have driven it ~335 even taking the slight corner cutting into account.  The real total distance of ~310 is about right given it was one of my absolute best drives into a relatively hard fairway and with a maybe 1/2 club helping wind.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

I am sure some of the "big hitters" around the TST could drive that one easily.

Really though, Congrats.

Thanks.  Also birdied a pretty tight super uphill par 5 too where one of the marshalls fully stopped, asked admiringly if my (other best of the day) drive was my tee shot, then sat and watched my approach and asked admiringly again if the hybrid I then hit the green with was a 3h or a 4h (it was my 19˚, so more like 2-2.5h).  Those days are fun

Yeah, this hole definitely backs up the contention some guys make on those threads that even on dead straight holes the card distances (at least on non par 3s) are often inflated.  I got up to my ball after walking off 25 paces from a guy who lasered his ball at 90 yards out and was wondering what sprinkler head I hit cause according to the card I must have driven it ~335 even taking the slight corner cutting into account.  The real total distance of ~310 is about right given it was one of my absolute best drives into a relatively hard fairway and with a maybe 1/2 club helping wind.

Cool, MDL. That's a day when you felt like a "pro"?

I had to read Ledo's comment's a couple times when I looked at the distance and the statement "Non-driveable??? Sez who???" :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks.  Also birdied a pretty tight super uphill par 5 too where one of the marshalls fully stopped, asked admiringly if my (other best of the day) drive was my tee shot, then sat and watched my approach and asked admiringly again if the hybrid I then hit the green with was a 3h or a 4h (it was my 19˚, so more like 2-2.5h).  Those days are fun

Lemme guess .... 11??? ;)

I love that course - and remember talking with you about it at one of our outings - but haven't played there in years.  Pretty sure I've never done well on 10-11-12.  Also, I remember that there is a sprinkler head somewhere in the fairway of 11 that, instead of having a distance written on it, said something like "ALL YOU GOT" or "IN YOUR DREAMS" on it. :)

Oh, and congrats on the eagle!!!  (But having been there, I'm not so sure that the birdie on 11 isn't MORE impressive. ;))

Congratulations! :dance:

So, what did you shoot?!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Lemme guess .... 11??? ;)

I love that course - and remember talking with you about it at one of our outings - but haven't played there in years.  Pretty sure I've never done well on 10-11-12.  Also, I remember that there is a sprinkler head somewhere in the fairway of 11 that, instead of having a distance written on it, said something like "ALL YOU GOT" or "IN YOUR DREAMS" on it. :)

Oh, and congrats on the eagle!!!  (But having been there, I'm not so sure that the birdie on 11 isn't MORE impressive. ;))

Yup.  11.  It is a great course.  My in-laws, where we spend Christmas every year, live just up the 15, so it's turned into my once a year holiday course.  I'll look for that stone next year.  I love that kind of thing :)

The big elevation change really makes that hole (and I think it's 9, an uphill par 4) really tough on the approaches.  For that approach I was sitting at flat 4i distance and stood over the ball worrying maybe my 2h would go too far.  Thought for a second about going back and getting my 3i.  Then I flushed my 2h and got more worried.  Then I only cleared the bunker guarding the front right of the green by a yard or two!

Guess I learned just enough from 9, where I clubbed up only 1 club for the huge uphill approach, hit what felt like a great 9i, landed it maybe 6 feet right of my target line but didn't clear the false front and spun/rolled back off the green and maybe 25 yards down the hill.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Congratulations!

So, what did you shoot?!

Didn't get to finish actually.  Maybe could've finished in the dark but had a family dinner I had to get back for and only made it through 15.  Wasn't an epic scoring day anyway though.  Tons of good shots but some tough green layouts and some tight holes with a couple OB shots on tee shots that actually felt pretty good but were just slight pushes or pulls into tight huge downhill fairways where I underestimated how far my driver would go :(

But I'm using it as practice to not get hung up on the negatives :)  Swing feels like it's coming together, as evidenced by the holes I mentioned and a bunch of good pars with solid looks at birdie.  None of the penalized shots, or the misses that cost me strokes, felt totally out of control as my misses often do.  Feeling good about 2014 golf!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator

That'd be five or maybe even eight points in the SoCal outing in February!!! You're coming, right? :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, thank you mdl.  I never knew about the google map measuring device before so learned how to use it in ten minutes. No. i am not really smart. And wish i could join up the Feb tourney but most unlikely. Have a great day.

Note: This thread is 3769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!