IGNORED

Left arm dominant vs right arm dominant!(Righty)

jude
Note: This thread is 3765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played 9 holes today my swing thought was right arm dominant (meaning using my right arm along with my chest to swing ) made really good contact but the ball was all over the place. Unhappy with my round I went to the range and started using my left arm again connected with the chest to hit the ball made a huge improvement with direction of ball and contact. The reason I ask is I could have swore having a dominant right arm was the way I should be swinging. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am a self thought golfer.

Highly dependent on the golfer. For me, I am very much right hand dominant. For example, I feel the correct positions in the back swing with my right side more, and the club dropping through impact. For me, my left arm stays connected better if I have the proper shoulder turn angle. So I don't worry about keeping them connected as much as making a proper shoulder turn. I do work on some feelings with my left hand through impact, but I am highly right hand dominant.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Never thought about this, I think left arm for me though I just think it guides the club, but I also think they work together equally also. Never thought about this so not entirely sure.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Highly dependent on the golfer.

I completely agree with this.

I've been making some good swings lately, and for me, I feel like my legs dominate the swing. I push down against the ground with my right leg during the backswing. Then I start the downswing by what I think of as "falling forward," basically getting the weight forward in conjunction with the legs squatting. The last thing I do is step down hard on my left leg (jumping). I feel like everything my arms do during the swing is a result of the leg action.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am a self thought golfer.

Sure, this is not going to help you much.  I don't really know any good golfers that feel one arm so dominant, maybe one adds more acceleration down and could appear to feel that way though.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I tend to feel everything in a balanced state. I also focus more on how my knees are working than I do my arms, if my knees are working correctly my arms tend to take care of themselves. Then again, I'm a 25+ handicap. ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

This may be hard to describe but the motion and mechanics of my right arm are dominant but any exertion through the impact zone is equal.

Virtually impossible for me to come over the top with natural right arm mechanics but I can fling the club over the top with the shoulders with left arm mechanics.

That said, my son is predominantly left arm dominant with left arm mechanics with a right handed swing and he's quite a bit better than I am so...

So left arm, right arm, both arms, legs and knees.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Don't forget the hips!

Its all in the hips!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Highly dependent on the golfer. For me, I am very much right hand dominant. For example, I feel the correct positions in the back swing with my right side more, and the club dropping through impact. For me, my left arm stays connected better if I have the proper shoulder turn angle. So I don't worry about keeping them connected as much as making a proper shoulder turn. I do work on some feelings with my left hand through impact, but I am highly right hand dominant.

Agree, depends on the golfer, just gotta do some trial and error to see what feels work best for you for your priority piece.  I'm similar to you in that I feel the swing more with my right side.

Its all in the hips!!!

Yep

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I think they both work together equally well in coordination fashion The dominance arm feel is at setup when I want to do my routine, for most of my shots I tend setup my left arm and left hand grip first before my right arm. The only exception is when I try to hit a high fade with my irons. Then I will grip with my right hand first then put my left hand on the handle

I think they both work together equally well in coordination fashion

The dominance arm feel is at setup when I want to do my routine, for most of my shots I tend setup my left arm and left hand grip first before my right arm.

The only exception is when I try to hit a high fade with my irons. Then I will grip with my right hand first then put my left hand on the handle

Is that code for "big ass slice"?

:-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Is that code for "big ass slice"? :-P

Lol I hit enough big ass slice that I know how to do it in my sleep Yes in fact it's the same set up except I start with open face with my right hand grip for slice And shut face right hand grip for my "power fade"

Note: This thread is 3765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!