IGNORED

Ball position and club face angle

Entropy
Note: This thread is 3739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had a setup question regarding the relationship between ball position and club face angle (open vs closed club face towards the target). I was at the range trying to work on controlling my ball flight and hitting it lower, so I was putting the ball further back in my stance. It is my understanding that this will serve to reduce the loft of the club and therefore hit it lower. My question is if I play the ball back in the stance, do I still aim the club face directly at my target? If I do that the club face feels very closed to me and I hit many shots to the left. When I played the ball back with the club face open to the target the shots felt awkward. Am I approaching this the right way? I hope I explained my question adequately.... Sorry if its confusing:pound:

If you keep your path to ball same then that is what should happen. Some d-plane studying will explain it. You can keep the face aimed at the target and open the stance, as this will open the face-to-path angle to more square. Just opening the face requires you to draw the shot, which may feel awkward or at least more difficult.

But are there other or even better means to hit lower than just moving the ball back?

I had a setup question regarding the relationship between ball position and club face angle (open vs closed club face towards the target). I was at the range trying to work on controlling my ball flight and hitting it lower, so I was putting the ball further back in my stance. It is my understanding that this will serve to reduce the loft of the club and therefore hit it lower. My question is if I play the ball back in the stance, do I still aim the club face directly at my target? If I do that the club face feels very closed to me and I hit many shots to the left. When I played the ball back with the club face open to the target the shots felt awkward. Am I approaching this the right way? I hope I explained my question adequately.... Sorry if its confusing:pound:

If you move the ball back and change nothing else, your swing path will come more from the inside. The reason is the club swings around the body.

Also go into the search box and type, "Ball Flight Laws". You will understand how your comment, "aiming my club face directly at my target?" is wrong.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I want to hit the ball really low (like a long shot that has to go under branches) I move the ball back in my stance but to just lower the flight a little (like shots into a strong wind) I just keep my hands more ahead of the club head through impact.

Like Matt said, If I move it back in my stance on a full shot I have to be aware that I may hook the ball more and either play for it or open the club face more.

Being left eye dominant and playing right handed it's always a slightly uncomfortable feeling to have the ball back in my stance. For the same reason I was always a dead pull hitter in baseball and going to the opposite field was always a little bit uncomfortable.

P.S. Probably related: I am much more comfortable with fairway woods and long irons than I am with short irons, unless I am practicing a lot, because I play them further forward in my stance.

If I'm hitting low punch shots (ball back in stance, hands forward quite a bit, hold off the release), I find I have to adjust (from what I feel I'm seeing ) to the right a bit.  Else I miss those shots left pretty much consistently.  It's just a few degrees, but it's very consistent and easy to compensate.

I'm sure it's a perception/alignment thing - the ball has to start where the face points.

YMMV

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!