Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nevets88

In general, does coming in shallower mean higher, more penetrating ball flight?

8 posts in this topic

By shallower, my question encompasses several "interpretations", I mean angle of attack and swing plane if that makes sense.

And vice-versa for steep?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Higher yes, more penetrating...how do you mean?  Many people equate more penetrating with lower.  But I find better spin and carry, with a more shallow AOA that I would say is more penetrating as far as not getting knocked down by the wind.

Higher yes, more penetrating...how do you mean?  Many people equate more penetrating with lower.  But I find better spin and carry, with a more shallow AOA that I would say is more penetrating as far as not getting knocked down by the wind.

More penetrating is a bad choice of words, more distance with less effort is the gist I was going for.

More penetrating is a bad choice of words, more distance with less effort is the gist I was going for.

That is exactly it.

Given the same dynamic or delivered loft, a shallower AoA will result in higher ball speed and lower spin loft (i.e. more deformation, less spin) than a steeper AoA.

But the same dynamic loft is rarely delivered in those two cases, so…

Given the same dynamic or delivered loft, a shallower AoA will result in higher ball speed and lower spin loft (i.e. more deformation, less spin) than a steeper AoA.

But the same dynamic loft is rarely delivered in those two cases, so…

That does make sense.  I would assume though that a steeper AOA with the same lofted club decreasing the dynamic loft would produce a bit less spin though?  Maybe it is negligible over a few degrees.

"Penetrating" could also mean "not ballooning" then generally yes, shallow AoA would tend to promote that.

That does make sense.  I would assume though that a steeper AOA with the same lofted club decreasing the dynamic loft would produce a bit less spin though?  Maybe it is negligible over a few degrees.

If all else is equal (ball type, clubhead speed, contact location, etc.), spin loft* is proportional to spin. More spin loft*, more spin.

* For spin lots of ~ 45° or less.