Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nevets88

GolfTown in Toronto

6 posts in this topic

I noticed a couple of these in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), the one downtown just opened I think (across from Mirvish theater). With the short season, how do these stores manage to be so profitable, I'm assuming they are as the stores look pretty new and well maintained and stocked.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I noticed a couple of these in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), the one downtown just opened I think (across from Mirvish theater). With the short season, how do these stores manage to be so profitable, I'm assuming they are as the stores look pretty new and well maintained and stocked.

Club hos in the snow!

We have them all over Montreal too, Golf retail is a huge business. Think of how many people prefer buying clubs to actually golfing…Plus the mark up on golf clubs is massive.

Club hos in the snow! We have them all over Montreal too, Golf retail is a huge business. Think of how many people prefer buying clubs to actually golfing…Plus the mark up on golf clubs is massive.

My relatives (and I) are Asian and they told me... Asians. I went to several golf domes in GTA and mostly Chinese/Koreans. I guess, but I agree - markup and probably dominant store? No competition.

There is competition. It's called golf "clone" companies. Look them up. Many people hate these companies but if you're looking for value then that's where you should look.

GolfTown was bought by Golfsmith, http://finance.yahoo.com/news/golf-town-golfsmith-combination-complete-141100453.html.

In seasonal retain, these stores are supported by the all-year-round stores in the off season (with the exception of holiday sales).  Toronto is the fourth largest city in North America, so there must be a lot of golfers their.

GolfTown was bought by Golfsmith, [URL=http://finance.yahoo.com/news/golf-town-golfsmith-combination-complete-141100453.html]http://finance.yahoo.com/news/golf-town-golfsmith-combination-complete-141100453.html[/URL]. In seasonal retain, these stores are supported by the all-year-round stores in the off season (with the exception of holiday sales).  Toronto is the fourth largest city in North America, so there must be a lot of golfers their.

I don't know if you go to any of the ones in MA (I think those are the only U.S. locations), but I liked the staff better when it was GolfTown. They seem to have turned over quite a bit during the transition. I've gotten a few botched re-grippings since the change. I'm not sure what GolfTown's policy was, but I don't like that Golfsmith only offers store credit for trade-ins.