IGNORED

How to deal with 'loose' scorers

Lowkie
Note: This thread is 3749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are a few guys I play with occasionally and when were playing they tend to be rather loose with their scores. What I mean by that is they'll hit three balls off the tee because two went OB or the same off the fairway/rough but won't take the penalty for the strokes. I add my penalty strokes, so when were done or throughout they are winning but in reality they shouldn't be or at least a lot closer to me then yet are. We don't play for money so that really doesn't play a factor it's just very aggravating to me. Does anyone else have this problem in casual play?

Play your own game and don't worry about it.  That's the only advice I can offer.  I don't let myself be bothered by what others do in a casual round with nothing on the line.  Focus on your own play, set a good example, and if they don't follow suit there isn't much you can do about it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While there's not money on the line there is smack talk normally after (I work with them but thankfully they're not my boss) so it's aggravating when they think they beat me or they're using the scores for their handicap and I know it bs

While there's not money on the line there is smack talk normally after (I work with them but thankfully they're not my boss) so it's aggravating when they think they beat me or they're using the scores for their handicap and I know it bs

So offer to play them for $10 using full handicaps and play is strictly by the rules.  Whether or not they accept it should shut them up.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Why don't you keep their score the right way and when they protest about playing the game the right way then just ask them what game are we playing then? It's obvious they don't mind having a false perception of how well they play and probably believe that they actually can play as well as they write down scores since it sounds like this is a normal routine. The only good thing I can say is your only playing for bragging rights and it seems that's more important to them than keeping a legit index. Bottom line there is no solution that you can do, they are the ones that are going to have to decide to count their strokes correctly.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

On any given hole that you see one of them pull this stunt off, just ask innocently "Hey what'd you shoot?"  (Of course you would have counted all the shots and know exactly what they shot..) So, if they say I got a bogy, then you say wait, what about that OB shot and penalty?  Then you can take it from there..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I play with guys like this all the time, trying to worry about their score only hurt mine. Since we play for minimal $ skins only, I just let it go since the *vanitycap* takes one more competitor out of the game come tournament time.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

We don't play for money so that really doesn't play a factor it's just very aggravating to me.

^ see above

it's your issue, not theirs.  If you can't handle it, play with other people.  If you can, have fun with your friends.

they are only hurting themselves, if even that, I doubt they'll ever turn pro.

(keep that knowledge handy, if you ever play for money, then call them out, if not, who really cares?

All I'd do extra is see if their loose morals in a silly game transfers or not to real life stuff - if it does, then that's an issue, if not, I wouldn't care)

Bill - 

As long as there is no money on the line why would you care?  I just ignore golfers like that and know that the ego handicap they end up with will enhance my probability of wining any real competition with them.  Sometimes you have to suffer through post round comments like "I gave you a lesson today" but just know when the competition begins you'll give them a lesson on the rules. :smartass:

Butch

As long as there is no money on the line why would you care?  I just ignore golfers like that and know that the ego handicap they end up with will enhance my probability of wining any real competition with them.  Sometimes you have to suffer through post round comments like "I gave you a lesson today" but just know when the competition begins you'll give them a lesson on the rules.

You are right but it's still pretty irritating when you toil away, respecting the ROG and the game itself, taking your penalties, dealing with your bad lies and so on and then watching your FC roll the ball around till he likes his lie, take drops for lost balls, mulligans, do-overs on stubbed chips yadda yadda yadda…and then he cards a score 6 strokes better than you and has the nerve to crow about it on the way to the parking lot. The real pisser is the moment you point out his "liberties" you get the standard "dude, we're not pros" retort leaving you with the choice of playing the same BS game as they are or just accepting that they'll always have an advantage. Petty but irritating non-the-less.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

has the nerve to crow about it on the way to the parking lot.

that's the line there - tactless to even make the comparison - next time.....at the 18th, tally the score.  Then, clearly and verbally state what you consider your 'adjusted" score is based what you think it would be "if" you took the same liberties, do it in detail and just do it naturally - not as an accusation, don't even mention that HE does it, just tally it up... (let's see.....bad lie on the 4th, that cost me a stroke,,,,,,,,,delete the OOB on 12, that's 2,,,,,,, water on 15, that's another, etc = so an 88, but more like a 79 now that I think about it - how'd you do?).  Then let him argue those (turns the tables doesn't it?)

then, if that makes him defensive (as you note) it's still not your problem - instead of trying to force him to play your style, play his style as an example.

I think I only have one playing partner that's tactless like that (bragging, crowing) after a game - and he shuts down once he realizes he's doing it - most of the guys are pretty reserved.  Frankly, once it's beer time, maybe a few of the better shots/holes are discussed, but usually by that time a game is on the big screen.

short of it though - it's not an "advantage", they are just playing a different game than you are.  Make sure they know it.

at the same time - if they hit a great shot on a hole, give the credit.  Sometimes the tendency is to be upset about the one thing, and then just piss all over everything else not related.   "But, what if they hit it from a fluffed lie?"  so what, don't be petty, "Nice shot from that lie"  or if playing with a scratch.... "shot-lie" :-P

Bill - 

"Shot-lie" :-D

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago, I used to play with a guy we nicknamed "just give me a double".  Most times, a double was gracious.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Years ago, I played with my boss and a co worker. We almost always played at the local muni, and we did give gimmes for putts under a foot. The problem was, my boss wouldn't count the gimme as a stroke, he also didn't count penalty's. So one day, just for fun, I kept my score and his. After 18 holes. My co worker had a 83 I had a 87, my boss's card showed a 84, my score for him showed an 88. I showed the score I kept for him, and he claimed I was lying. That was the Last time we played golf with him.

Years ago, I used to play with a guy we nicknamed "just give me a double".  Most times, a double was gracious.

Double bogey or double par? :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Double bogey or double par

Double shot.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Double bogey or double par

Double shot.

Espresso or bourbon? :-D

or mulligans?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!