IGNORED

The Most Important Class You Ever Took?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

What's the most important (to your life as a whole) class that you ever took?

It's a tough one for me to answer.

I could say the typing class I took in eighth grade, given how much I type. But I might have figured tis out on my own… or maybe I'd be stubborn and say "I can type fast enough this way" (whatever way I'd come up with given a lot of typing)?

Mr. Freed's fifth grade science class was cool. It may have been the first time I really cared about science.

I took organic chemistry in high school, and that was important for one of my majors in college. It let me slack off for two years of my major classes. :)

A lot of what I learned I've learned on my own.

But again, what's the most important (to your life as a whole) class that you ever took? Why?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good question.

Sophomore year of high-school, I had the eccentric physics professor that got me hooked on science and understanding and questioning why things happen. Probably shaped my logic based brain that I realized.

Who ever the teachers were that taught me how to read over my time during pre-highschool. Reading and writing lead to the foundation of all learning.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Algebra I in high school. I met my wife in that class.

Oh wait, she doesn't read this forum, so...

I'd have to say my most important class was either my college auditing class (I'm an auditor), or an architecture history class I took my sophomore year in college. The auditing class obviously help me in my career, and the architecture history class totally changed the way I looked at architecture, sociological development, and current events.

Tyler Martin

I would say Algebra II and Trig sophomore year.  I had the same HS teacher for that and Calculus.  He was the best teacher I ever had.  Funny, sarcastic, engaging and made each student better.  Algebra is a basis of all higher math, so a good foundation was needed for my chemical engineering degrees.

I also had Organic in HS with another great teacher, which made college Organic easy.

Or maybe finger painting in Kindergarten.  I loved that too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I would probably say my microeconomics class in college.  I don't use my economics degree (I'm a lawyer) but it changed the way I think about life.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Good question! Huh, what? You want me to answer that.... Ummmmmm..... Fine, if you are going to hold a gun to my head and make me answer truthfully, then I would have to say..... That "Applied Calculus I" class in my first year of college.. Who would have thought that being in the world of angles, slopes and derivatives would be so influential in my life.. I believe it lead the way for me to go into operations management (which is mostly applied science) and eventually shaped my career into being involved in both plant operations and finance... I was always good at math at young age, but before that it was always bla... This teacher challenged me and showed me that really, math is fun!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Any of the theology courses(I have a minor in Biblical Studies - Haha) - The reason is deconstruction of the perceived for the reconstruction of of a sustainable base.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Any of the theology courses(I have a minor in Biblical Studies - Haha) - The reason is deconstruction of the perceived for the reconstruction of of a sustainable base.

My opinion of you has completely changed now :scared:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

My opinion of you has completely changed now

I don't know if that is good or bad but, hey I just threw it out there.  F'ing deal with it. :-D I just answered the question honestly.  It should not be that surprising with my tendency to over think things "slightly".  Philosophy was up there for me as well.  There are not too many Business majors with a minor in biblical studies though.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

The class of hard knocks 101, 201, 301, 401, seminar, etc... ha ha... Nothing I ever learned in class compares to learning from real life and more so, people.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The leadership classes that I received as a very young, newly commissioned 2d Lieutenant in the Marine Corps.

The Marines are a little different than the other services.   After commissioning, whether from an Officer Candidate program, ROTC, or the Naval Academy, every 2d Lieutenant spends 6 months in Quanitco at "The Basic School".  It's 6 months of intensive leadership and tactical infantry training.  It doesn't matter if someone is ultimately going to become an armor officer, pilot, supply officer, or even a JAG lawyer, we all start out with the same basic core training.....the premise being that no matter what else he does, first and foremost every Marine officer is an infantry officer, capable of leading a platoon of Marines in combat.

That particular brand of leadership training knocked a lot of sense into my punk-ass head, and taught me the fundamentals of building and motivating a cohesive team capable of doing amazing things under stressful and adverse conditions.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I don't know if that is good or bad but, hey I just threw it out there.  F'ing deal with it.    I just answered the question honestly.  It should not be that surprising with my tendency to over think things "slightly".  Philosophy was up there for me as well.  There are not too many Business majors with a minor in biblical studies though.

Probably a good thing, just messing with ya.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Probably a good thing, just messing with ya.

All in good fun. ;-)

Nate

The leadership classes that I received as a very young, newly commissioned 2d Lieutenant in the Marine Corps.

The Marines are a little different than the other services.   After commissioning, whether from an Officer Candidate program, ROTC, or the Naval Academy, every 2d Lieutenant spends 6 months in Quanitco at "The Basic School".  It's 6 months of intensive leadership and tactical infantry training.  It doesn't matter if someone is ultimately going to become an armor officer, pilot, supply officer, or even a JAG lawyer, we all start out with the same basic core training.....the premise being that no matter what else he does, first and foremost every Marine officer is an infantry officer, capable of leading a platoon of Marines in combat.

That particular brand of leadership training knocked a lot of sense into my punk-ass head, and taught me the fundamentals of building and motivating a cohesive team capable of doing amazing things under stressful and adverse conditions.

I want to take this course! I'm not kidding.  All of the guys I worked with in the corporate world who had a military background - seemed like nothing phased them.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I want to take this course! I'm not kidding.  All of the guys I worked with in the corporate world who had a military background - seemed like nothing phased them.

You can get, well, somewhat close.  I just took a Academy Leadership course in Chicago about a month ago.  It was taught by a West Point graduate, and put together by their graduates.  It was a three day course.  Not exactly cheap but about as close as you can get to what @David in FL mentioned.  Even though it pales in comparison, it was still a huge eye opener for me.

Nate

Not sure you could count this a "one" class, but I would have to go with my required plumbing class (500hrs).  Had to complete it for state licensing.  This class (in part) enabled me to do what I do for a living (and provide for my family) at a decent wage.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

For high school it would be a class called Engineering and Technology. It was my elective course junior year when most students took band or chorus or art. We built spaghetti bridges and did a competition, and me and my partner won by a huge margin. Then we made bottle rockets from a kit, and last we built huge potato cannons and fired them behind the high school using hair spray as the fuel. We ended up getting a few hundred yards just using PVC pipes and a BBQ grill lighter. Me and my partner even managed to crudely rifle our cannon. (There were also a lot of full-class Halo battles since the classroom was a computer lab.) Funny that @iacas mentioned loving a typing class. I always hated typing classes because I could never get used to the home rows method that they made us use. (I think they just didn't get to me early enough. I'd been typing on our home computer well before I ever took a typing class.) Freshman year of college I did so much typing that I can do it without looking at the keyboard now, but still without using home rows. I don't remember particularly liking many middle school or high school core classes until I took a bunch of AP classes senior year, but that was more of a social thing. I always hated English classes because every teacher had a different way they wanted us to format essays, so we had to re-learn it every year. I always did great on grammar or spelling exams, but I sucked at essays. I also wish they would have let us write essays on subjects that weren't shitty books that we all hated (seriously, **** Great Expectations - even the SparkNotes were difficult to understand), which I think is why I loved English 110 in college. We got to pick our own books and topics, so it was something I cared about. I've always enjoyed reading, but I very much prefer non-fiction or at least contemporary fiction, neither of which we ever got to read in middle or high school. As for college, I'm not really sure since I just finished a month ago.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

For me it would have to be English, final year of high school. Not so much for the course content (which I aced) but for the teacher, it was the first time as a quasi-adult that I had a teacher that I actually respected.

Great Expectations

I love this story…

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!