IGNORED

The Most Important Class You Ever Took?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Funny that @iacasmentioned loving a typing class. I always hated typing classes because I could never get used to the home rows method that they made us use. (I think they just didn't get to me early enough. I'd been typing on our home computer well before I ever took a typing class.) Freshman year of college I did so much typing that I can do it without looking at the keyboard now, but still without using home rows.

Not sure how you would do this.  Explain please.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use all 10 fingers and just kinda know where each of the keys are.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I remember the exact moment when my piano teacher said now play it, without looking at the keys. Just sight read or look up. I was like, huh? Luke Skywalker trying to move the x-wing. So I listened and it was like magic. Your body and mind are capable of things you've never tried I learned that day. The motion memory is strong in all of us.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I do to, but in relation to the home keys.  Not sure how I could know where they are otherwise.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I do to, but in relation to the home keys.  Not sure how I could know where they are otherwise.

On my keyboard, the f and j keys are the opposite of notched, a line sticks up. I think this originated from manuals. That's how I orient w/o looking.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On my keyboard, the f and j keys are the opposite of notched, a line sticks up. I think this originated from manuals. That's how I orient w/o looking.

Same here.  I am not sure how Jamo "orients" without the use of home keys.

-Matt-

We're a lot alike Jamo! (Sorry about that)  I do the same thing, basically.  I definitely don't use the "proper" typing technique, but I also use all ten fingers (I think - I'll have to pay attention better because I'm not 100% sure if I use my left pinky.) and can type fairly fast and well, (I rearly maek misrakes :-P ) and without looking at the keyboard all of the time, simply because of repetition.

And as far as the most important class I ever took, I'm going to have to go with an elective I took in 8th grade, that was called something like "Fundamentals of Engineering."  We did a lot of the same type of fun stuff you did in your engineering class.  We made popsicle stick bridges, then tested their strength by stacking books on them.  We did various other fun stuff like that all year, but the most memorable was a 2 or 3 day long field trip we took to a nearby lake in the woods that we surveyed and mapped.  We did it in the most primitive way possible, using only strings, levels, protractors, and tape measures.  It was a blast.  That class, and that field trip is what convinced me that I wanted to be a surveyor.

Of course, then I got to college and found out that I could major in Surveying and be a surveyor or .... a surveyor.  Or, I could broaden it a bit, major in Civil Engineering and have more options.  So that's what I did.  Now I work at a company where half of what we do is surveying, however, I'm 99% of the time on the engineering side.

EDIT: I'm not sure about @jamo but I find my bearings by occasionally looking at the keyboard. ;)

We're a lot alike Jamo! (Sorry about that)  I do the same thing, basically.  I definitely don't use the "proper" typing technique, but I also use all ten fingers (I think - I'll have to pay attention better because I'm not 100% sure if I use my left pinky.) and can type fairly fast and well, (I rearly maek misrakes ) and without looking at the keyboard all of the time, simply because of repetition.

And as far as the most important class I ever took, I'm going to have to go with an elective I took in 8th grade, that was called something like "Fundamentals of Engineering."  We did a lot of the same type of fun stuff you did in your engineering class.  We made popsicle stick bridges, then tested their strength by stacking books on them.  We did various other fun stuff like that all year, but the most memorable was a 2 or 3 day long field trip we took to a nearby lake in the woods that we surveyed and mapped.  We did it in the most primitive way possible, using only strings, levels, protractors, and tape measures.  It was a blast.  That class, and that field trip is what convinced me that I wanted to be a surveyor.

Of course, then I got to college and found out that I could major in Surveying and be a surveyor or .... a surveyor.  Or, I could broaden it a bit, major in Civil Engineering and have more options.  So that's what I did.  Now I work at a company where half of what we do is surveying, however, I'm 99% of the time on the engineering side.

EDIT: I'm not sure about @jamo but I find my bearings by occasionally looking at the keyboard. ;)

The only good thing that happened to me in 8th grade was accidentally getting knocked down when Miss Baxter turned on the stairs and her boobs hit me square in the face.  I was a hero for a week!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The only good thing that happened to me in 8th grade was accidentally getting knocked down when Miss Baxter turned on the stairs and her boobs hit me square in the face.  I was a hero for a week!

You're still my hero! How stacked was Miss. Baxter?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Wow, was your mouth open?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Wow, was your mouth open?

Only afterwards with shock and awe!

They were spectacular!  She was a young teacher probably just out of college.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Wait, her boobs were square? :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wait, her boobs were square?

:-$

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Sort of OT (not as OT as an 8th grade teachers square boobs :-P , but OT nonetheless) ... my FAVORITE class I ever took was an activity class (both parents worked full time so they threw us into something every summer to keep us busy) I took between (I think) 6th and 7th on calligraphy .  Retained it fairly well too ... used the skills to address our wedding invitations several years later. :beer:

Wait, her boobs were square?

That makes sense now.  That must be why he was knocked over then.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Sort of OT (not as OT as an 8th grade teachers square boobs , but OT nonetheless) ... my FAVORITE class I ever took was an activity class (both parents worked full time so they threw us into something every summer to keep us busy) I took between (I think) 6th and 7th on calligraphy.  Retained it fairly well too ... used the skills to address our wedding invitations several years later.

I loved doing Calligraphy class. I was awesome at make AC/DC logos! Also came in real handy during my Dungeons & Dragons phase.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My father was on my case to take typing in high school, claiming I'd need it in the future. I blew that idea off... now 20 years later all I do is type all day!

For me, the most important class I ever took was Electronic Music my senior year of high school. Learned how to splice and edit tape, how to operate a multi-track recorder, work a patch bay, use effects as a send, how to program a sequencer, and we also got some time in on a very early version of Pro Tools. I only record music as a hobby, but it's a hell of a lot of fun (mixed in with some headaches when you're dealing with meh musicians who want their demo to sound like Dream Theater) and almost everything I do now was originally learned as a basic in that class.

Russ B.

Note: This thread is 3746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!