IGNORED

Hybrid clubs, the basics,?

Note: This thread is 3752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Generally speaking, they are iron replacements so they exist in pretty much every degree you would commonly find in irons. Range would be about 19* all the way up to 45* but most commonly you see them as replacements for 2 and 3 irons. I carry a 3 and 4 hybrid but have played with people whose entire set was hybrids. I doubt they make them in wedge lofts, it wouldn't make for a very versatile wedge. Some companies label them as 1,2,3... other companies label with loft ie: 19*,23*... Most companies label with both.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You have traditional hybrids and iron-replacement hybrids.

Traditional hybrids fall between fairway woods and irons in both loft and shaft length.

Iron-replacement hybrids - such as Mizuno JPX FLI-HI clubs - are designed as direct replacements for the numbered irons in a set. In the Mizuno case, the Fli-Hi 4 Hybrid and the JPX family 4 irons both have 22* loft and a 38.25" shaft length.

General advice on hitting hybrids is to move them toward the center of the stance and hit down on them like an iron shot.

Some people hit hybrids well, others prefer higher-lofted fairway woods. You just have to go with what works.

And, you will probably have to test different models of hybrids to find the one that works best, even within the same manufacturer. I do quite well with the Adams V4 hybrid (and play them), but had big control problems with the Adams Super hybrid.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

You have traditional hybrids and iron-replacement hybrids.

Traditional hybrids fall between fairway woods and irons in both loft and shaft length.

Iron-replacement hybrids - such as Mizuno JPX FLI-HI clubs - are designed as direct replacements for the numbered irons in a set. In the Mizuno case, the Fli-Hi 4 Hybrid and the JPX family 4 irons both have 22* loft and a 38.25" shaft length.

General advice on hitting hybrids is to move them toward the center of the stance and hit down on them like an iron shot.

Some people hit hybrids well, others prefer higher-lofted fairway woods. You just have to go with what works.

And, you will probably have to test different models of hybrids to find the one that works best, even within the same manufacturer. I do quite well with the Adams V4 hybrid (and play them), but had big control problems with the Adams Super hybrid.

Good direction on the ball positioning.. I was wondering what was best there.

Sounds like the most common Hybrids would be the 3,4,&5... does this sound about right?

Sounds like the most common Hybrids would be the 3,4,&5... does this sound about right?

I would assume 3 and 4 are the most common, but as @Ernest Jones pointed out, there are sets that are mostly (or completely) made up of hybrids. I usually don't carry a hybrid, but depending on the course I will sometimes carry a 3 hybrid that I hit really well off the tee. If you're thinking of getting one or more hybrids, you just need to assess what your needs are. Do you need to replace long irons that you don't hit particularly well, or do you just need to bridge the gap between your shortest wood and longest iron?

Tyler Martin

I would assume 3 and 4 are the most common, but as @Ernest Jones pointed out, there are sets that are mostly (or completely) made up of hybrids. I usually don't carry a hybrid, but depending on the course I will sometimes carry a 3 hybrid that I hit really well off the tee. If you're thinking of getting one or more hybrids, you just need to assess what your needs are. Do you need to replace long irons that you don't hit particularly well, or do you just need to bridge the gap between your shortest wood and longest iron?

Well... I play with one Hybrid (22°), two irons(Pitching & 7), my driver & putter. Anything more is complicated.

I'm just looking to see what club #s I need to address for labeling and packaging purposes (I'm designing a hybrid club cover that transforms to a beverage Koozie (*patent pending)). The products about done, just some minor details left to address.

Well... I play with one Hybrid (22°), two irons(Pitching & 7), my driver & putter. Anything more is complicated.

I'm just looking to see what club #s I need to address for labeling and packaging purposes (I'm designing a hybrid club cover that transforms to a beverage Koozie (*patent pending)). The products about done, just some minor details left to address.

You only carry 5 clubs?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

General info above is spot on.

One thing I want to add is that you should definitely try the hybrids before jumping in and buying a bunch (or a hybrid heavy iron set).  I've never found them easier to hit personally.  Others swear by them, but it's not universal, so try them out.

For me a big part of it is that I spend a ton of my practice time dialing in my irons.  If I need 3i or 4i distance, I don't want to have to hit that shot with yet another type of club.  My long iron strokes all feel similar, and my 5i stroke feels pretty similar to a 6i or 7i, and so on.  If I've got my iron swing on point that day, I'd rather hit a one of my irons!

So for me, except on days when my iron swing is really off and I want a different feeling club, if I'm clubbing down off the tee just to play safe/smart golf (i.e., on a par 4/5, not a par 3 where I need a specific distance), I'll almost always choose the 3i instead of my 2/2.5h because even though I might get to hit a club less into the green I've already hit a bunch of iron shots and have that swing dialed in.  Most days I only take out the hybrid if I need the extra 10+ yards to get to a really long par 3 or if I'm feeling confident, have hit a good drive, and want to go for a par 5 green in two and my 3i won't get there.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Generally speaking, they are iron replacements so they exist in pretty much every degree you would commonly find in irons. Range would be about 19* all the way up to 45* but most commonly you see them as replacements for 2 and 3 irons. I carry a 3 and 4 hybrid but have played with people whose entire set was hybrids. I doubt they make them in wedge lofts, it wouldn't make for a very versatile wedge. Some companies label them as 1,2,3... other companies label with loft ie: 19*,23*... Most companies label with both.

Actually my wife has a set of clubs that are all hybrids, even the sand wedge. My son bought them for her and at first I didn't know what to make of it and was skeptical that it was the right move.

Now I'm no longer skeptical and she plays much better golf than she would ever have been able to play with traditional irons, given that she doesn't practice much and doesn't play golf at all from April to September.

The most surprising thing to me was how well she does out of bunkers with that hybrid sand wedge. She actually likes to be in the bunkers.

The main advantage for somebody with her limited skill is that ball striking doesn't have to be as precise. Even a shot slightly fat turns out much better than it would with an iron.

Most men would have way too much pride to play with a set like that but I'm convinced some of them would play better if they did.

Actually my wife has a set of clubs that are all hybrids, even the sand wedge. My son bought them for her and at first I didn't know what to make of it and was skeptical that it was the right move.

Now I'm no longer skeptical and she plays much better golf than she would ever have been able to play with traditional irons, given that she doesn't practice much and doesn't play golf at all from April to September.

The most surprising thing to me was how well she does out of bunkers with that hybrid sand wedge. She actually likes to be in the bunkers.

The main advantage for somebody with her limited skill is that ball striking doesn't have to be as precise. Even a shot slightly fat turns out much better than it would with an iron.

Most men would have way too much pride to play with a set like that but I'm convinced some of them would play better if they did.

Have you ever experimented with her SW? Can you hit a variety of shots or is one club-one shot?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Have you ever experimented with her SW? Can you hit a variety of shots or is one club-one shot?

I have played around with it just a little bit. It's not as versatile with delicate flop shots and certainly can't hit a flop shot over a tall tree like I can do with my sand wedge, but most of the higher handicap players that I know (including her) can't really hit those shots anyway.

It also seems more limited out of bunkers with extremely high lips, but then again she (and many players) aren't any good at those shots anyway. If anything it forces her hand to hit a more sensible shot instead of being tempted to do the virtually impossible.

I can put a surprising amount of spin on the ball with chips and pitches using it but not as much spin as I can put on the ball with my sand wedge when I want to.

In short, it's not something I would put in the bag but some people would benefit from it.

At the low end, some companies make a 2H at about 17*. Most of these are in the Pro or Tour head versions of the hybrid. At one demo day, both the Callaway and Adams reps advised golfers against using a 2H unless they have high clubhead speed, or they won't be able to use it out of the rough.

Some early hybrids had a 1H with 15* loft; Hogan had one such model. I haven't seen any 1H clubs in several years. Anybody know of one?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

You only carry 5 clubs?

I used to carry more but realized those were the only (5)clubs I ever use. Now I leave the others in my garage and just attenuate my swing for each shot... I also sometimes carry a 3 iron.

Some early hybrids had a 1H with 15* loft; Hogan had one such model. I haven't seen any 1H clubs in several years. Anybody know of one?

I have a Hogan 1H, but it stays in the closet. I can consistently hit it about 20 feet off the ground with a 30 yard hook. Not exactly ideal.

Tyler Martin

I have a Wilson FatBoy 16º 3w that has a head shape that is nearly identical in shape and size as my Nickent 3H. I haven't hit it yet because of the snow but I'm assuming it will play just like my hybrids.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 3752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!