IGNORED

Another Question about the Hand Line (with PICS)

JPK1988
Note: This thread is 3752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I too have a question about the hand line, especially as it comes to adress vs. impact.

As of late I've been hitting most iron shots on the toe side of center (maybe a half a ball).  I'm almost certain it has to do with steepening the shaft.... (THE NEON GREEN LINE IS AN OVERLAY OF THE SHAFT ANGLE AT SETUP)..

Red line is representative of the HAND LINE AT ADRESS.  I've watched a ton of swings on YouTube, and EVERY pro is returning the hands to that line or just fractionally past it (like Rory above).  My hands though are way out beyond it and much higher.

Every thing about that screams Sh*nk.. but I've read the shaft steepening is compensating move, and actually causes to hits.

So... How the HELL do you keep your hands at or inside that line? Super tough concept for me to grasp, especially battling toe contact??  It seems id be even further away from the center of the clubface..

Thanks for posting this, JPK. I struggle with the same thing (although my misses are toward the heel). I can't wait to see the responses. For me, it feels like I need to work on my right knee action and toe/heel weight distribution on the downswing. On my downswing, my right knee moves much more toward the ball line than I see pros do. I think this may be getting my weight too much toward the toes of my feet. Mike referenced a 5SK video a few days ago with a "toes up" drill that I felt would be a great drill for me. I am a million miles away from knowing how to swing properly, so my thoughts may be WAY off. I just thought I'd post this to let you know that I'm right there with you in regards to this problem...

When I got fitted for clubs I expected to be told that I needed a flatter lie because my toe was up a bit at address.  I was surprised that I needed them more upright because I basically do the same as you and come into impact with my hands a little higher.  Smarter people on here can tell you if its a swing flaw or not, but it might just be a fitting issue.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The wierd thing is to begin last season I was missing with shanks too...and I fixed it by trying to keep the right knee and hip from "crashing toward the ball" my instructor called it.  I don't know if this new toe miss is an over compensation, but I have a feeling its all inter-related..curious as well to see what people think.

I think it may be a combo of weight distribution, and shallowness/steepness of the downswing plane to make up for that movement.

hmmm? :loco:

I too have a question about the hand line, especially as it comes to adress vs. impact.

As of late I've been hitting most iron shots on the toe side of center (maybe a half a ball).  I'm almost certain it has to do with steepening the shaft.... (THE NEON GREEN LINE IS AN OVERLAY OF THE SHAFT ANGLE AT SETUP)..

Red line is representative of the HAND LINE AT ADRESS.  I've watched a ton of swings on YouTube, and EVERY pro is returning the hands to that line or just fractionally past it (like Rory above).  My hands though are way out beyond it and much higher.

Every thing about that screams Sh*nk.. but I've read the shaft steepening is compensating move, and actually causes to hits.

So... How the HELL do you keep your hands at or inside that line? Super tough concept for me to grasp, especially battling toe contact??  It seems id be even further away from the center of the clubface..

I am not an expert like @iacas or @mvmac , but notice how much your left arm has come off your body at impact as compared to Rory.  I work on keeping the pressure point of my left armpit attached to my body to help my hand path come back to the setup point.  Try the tee under the armpit drill and see if that helps.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On a side note, look at Rory's posture. Head down more, lower back not arched. Work that a bit to :-D

Also hands don't have to line up at impact as they do at address. Depends on the player.

I would guess your posture is forcing you closer to the ball. If you get that back not arched and chin more towards the chest, I think you will feel closer to the ball than you are now. You will probably end up standing a bit further away, might help with your Shank issue.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yeah thats a really good point I didn't notice that.  I do the headcover drill quite a bit and it stays put, maybe something smaller like a tee will help.  I think its like a mental block about keeping things in tighter while missing towards the toe.

• Administrator

Note that where the hans appear from down the line at A1 and A7 are measuring the hands at two different points along the circle. At A7 the hands are often farther forward (more shaft lean) and thus farther forward and more inward (from DL view) on the circle.

Be careful trying to make generalizations like that…

Here's a bonus one:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On a side note, look at Rory's posture. Head down more, lower back not arched. Work that a bit to

Also hands don't have to line up at impact as they do at address. Depends on the player.

I would guess your posture is forcing you closer to the ball. If you get that back not arched and chin more towards the chest, I think you will feel closer to the ball than you are now. You will probably end up standing a bit further away, might help with your Shank issue.

Haven't shanked for a while. almost all toe misses, but I do agree posture is probably a big issue on any miss thats on either side of the sweet spot

@iacas

okay point taken... so then i guess the question becomes, what causes the toe hits, if my hands being so far over the line isnt an issue? it has to be a shaft plane thing right? because based on all of the tour guys hand positions above, they too must steepen out the shaft to find center..is it that I am over doing it?

I just seen a video on this. Seems interesting... [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOuV4zdXt7Q[/VIDEO]

- Jered

• Administrator

okay point taken... so then i guess the question becomes, what causes the toe hits, if my hands being so far over the line isnt an issue? it has to be a shaft plane thing right? because based on all of the tour guys hand positions above, they too must steepen out the shaft to find center..is it that I am over doing it?

You're probably sending the sweet spot outside the ball and when you can't pull it in fast enough, you toe it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I just seen a video on this. Seems interesting...

Good video. Goes well with this one that I bookmarked a while back because I thought it was a good visual on getting back down to impact.

One word of caution: If you "hump the goat" very much your hip and thigh will force the hands club out resulting in shank city.

Good video. Goes well with this one that I bookmarked a while back because I thought it was a good visual on getting back down to impact. One word of caution: If you "hump the goat" very much your hip and thigh will force the hands club out resulting in shank city.

Point taken and thanks for the visual. I've been to some third world countries where this is quite popular!

- Jered

Point taken and thanks for the visual.

I've been to some third world countries where this is quite popular!

Ha ha! Very popular in amateur golf videos too!!

Note: This thread is 3752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!